Female Cat With Crystals

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My female orange tabby was diagnosed with crystals for the second time today. I have tried to switch her to urinary wet food but she absolutely hates it. We have kibble out for the cats all the time, but we can’t change it to urinary kibble because it gave another of my cats diarrhea.

I am going to try giving her royal canin and purina urinary wet food in the next few weeks, as she absolutely hated the science diet brand. Is there anything else I can give her for crystals? I saw there is Purina ProPlan HydraCare. Does anyone use this or other supplements for crystals? She is super picky so I am very worried she won’t eat any of the new wet food.

Thank you for your time!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you find a wet food she likes, add extra water to it as long as she will still eat it. I add like 3-5 ounces of extra water to the food.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Non prescription cat food for urinary crystals - Google Search

Try looking through the sites listed here. Many do suggest OTC food which is helpful, along with other prescription brands. I am facing the same question now with a young male cat. In my past experience, Science Diet was never popular with any cat who tried any of its formulations, but I had better luck with Royal Canin.

Furballsmom Furballsmom I think uses HydraCare.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think uses HydraCare.
I saw there is Purina ProPlan HydraCare.
I have used it, and it's specifically formulated to help with crystals :)

My boy loved it at first but then decided not so much. I'm now adding it to his food, and have begun adding unflavored meat baby food to the hydra care, which he seems to be ok with.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Are you aware that you have to switch cats very slowly to any new dry food? At any rate, I never did find a urinary kibble that prevented my cat from blocking. I think I settled on one of the gravy urinary veterinary diets (pro-plan probably.). As far as getting them to eat, I sprinkled fortiflora on it or ground up some stella and chewy’s freeze dried food and sprinkled that on it.