Female cat peeing around the house suddenly

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Long-haired
~3 years old
Female

Cat suddenly started peeing in different parts of the house. We adopted her at the start of the pandemic (3 years ago?) and the only time she ever peed outside of her litter box is on her first day at our house because she was scared, so this is very new behaviour. The thing is, she still uses her litter boxes, sometimes going straight to it after peeing on a couch or something. She has multiple litter boxes and theyre usually kept clean. We usually alternate between the same 3 litter brands but she’s not picky with any litter. So we’re not really sure what the cause is. Anyone ever experience anything like this? Maybe it could be a sign of a medical issue as well?

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she could be straining and has a UTI. Cats will pee where they are not supposed to because the box becomes associated with pain when they urinate. Definitely take her to the vet. It's not as dangerous for female cats as male cats, but they can get a urinary obstruction.

But I would keep the litter the same brand (cats can become picky of a sudden)! And keep it clean daily.

Hope she's ok!!

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom’s male cat suddenly started attempting to pee around the living room. We took him to the emergency vet and it turned out he had crystals and blood in his urine and inflammation of the bladder. I would start with getting your cat to the vet first thing, since this behavior is so unusual for her.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is in need of a vet visit for either an infection or crystals. If she stops urinating altogether, she will need to go to an emergency vet within a few hours or she can die.