female cat licking genitals

taxcatkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I've noticed my girl Bonnie (5 years old) grooming her genital area more than normal over the past few days. Monday evening, she started walking backward a bit and then was fine. Tuesday evening, I noticed her walking in a couple of circles and then was fine. She's still licking herself more than usual. I made an appointment for this afternoon but wondering if anyone has had this issue with their cat before. She's normal otherwise but the walking backward and in small circles concerned me even though she was perfectly fine after. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Kim

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may have a urinary tract infection that is playing havoc with her system. That and increased urination is a big sign of that. Or an inner ear infection. The only way to know is to have her checked out. I'll pray it is nothing serious!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Excessive licking is a typical sign of a UTI, but it could also be anal gland related. The walking backward and/or circling could be attempts at getting to her back end, just from a different angle, as if a sudden itchy feeling/irritation in her behind comes to her while walking? Let us know what happens with the vet visit!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taxcatkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She used to scoot her booty some so maybe it IS her anal glands. She's a Siamese too. :) Thanks to you both. Her appt is at 240pm today. I used to have a kitty with anal gland issues. One of his anal glands actually absessed. The emergency vet lanced it and asked if anyone had any crackers. :barfgreen:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taxcatkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So here is the verdict. They got urine but they said it looks clear although they will send it off anyway to get it checked. Both of her anal glands were impacted, infected, and had the look of cottage cheese I was told. Mystery solved.