Female Cat extremely aggressive after spay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rescuecatladylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hang in there, and I'm glad she is calmer, good for you and for her! Can you contain her in a small room - I've read where a member took every pillow in the house, and some chairs, and set up the pillows and chairs to try to avoid big jumps up and down as much as possible
She's currently in my late heart dog's room ( he had his own room! That's how much I loved my sweet boy) there's a couch and a few shelves but that's it. I think she wants to jump on the shelves. How can I keep her from doing so? I just checked on her and she's sleeping in her igloo

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I can't imagine why the first vet told you to withhold food and water for that long. There's no need to, I'm glad the poor girl got something to eat and drink now.

I care for a lot of feral rescues. After surgery they all had an injection of antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. This acts as a pain killer and it's usually good for a few days. It can be tricky to give cats oral pain killers as you don't want them to be too comfortable and risk injuring themselves. With something like stitches or a broken bone you want them to be aware that somethings not right so they don't try to climb and jump as they usually do.

If you can't remove the shelves from the room she is in could you put a chair and a couple of sturdy boxes in front so she can get up there as if she's climbing stairs, rather than jumping up and down.

rescuecatladylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone Piper is much calmer today and I was able to modify a cone I had laying around and put it on her. The incision looks okay, but there's some dried liquid around it. Unfortunately my vet is unavailable today. I'm unsure if I should clean her belly or not.
On the bright side she's much brighter and alert! She ate well this morning ♥ thank you everyone for your help

rescuecatladylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone Piper is doing quite alright but her incision looks a bit odd. Should I try to find a vet? Most if not all are closed right now. I cleaned it with Betadine as instructed. Hence the color. The top portion is worrying me.
IMG20221225131509.jpg

rescuecatladylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with you :vibes::hugs:
I wonder if she's accidentally ripped the stitch loose? There's no pus or weeping really, but it's a bit red and looks wet. She's eating very well and is playful. I sent a picture to the shelter worker that took care of her adoption and she said it looks fine (she's an experienced cat owner, she has over 30 cats all rescues, she's spayed and neutered all of them.) I will wait until tomorrow morning to call my vet. Let's see. Merry Christmas!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I sent a picture to the shelter worker that took care of her adoption and she said it looks fine (she's an experienced cat owner, she has over 30 cats all rescues, she's spayed and neutered all of them.) I will wait until tomorrow morning to call my vet.
That sounds good, I'm glad you were able to contact someone.

Merry Christmas!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As mani mani has experienced, I have had a couple of cats act aggressively and my vet said that it was an unusual but unconcerning reaction to anesthesia. My vet keeps the cats for at least 4 hours after they wake up from surgery, which means an overnight stay if the cat isn't trapped until the afternoon. It's very unsettling to watch. I use a large dog carrier as a recovery cage for ferals so I assumed that the behavior was just a case of a feral being freaked out at being in a cage (as long as the carrier is kept completely covered, they stay quietly hunkered down). With my tamed, personal cat, she went "haywire" against all of us, including her "foster mom" PomeranianX dog - it was frightening! Fortunately, she hid behind the couch and slept it off.
I am glad to read that your kitty is doing better.
I haven't had to wash with betadine post-surgery. I have seen some drainage at the surgical site before, in tame kitties (it's not possible to inspect the true ferals) and was able to text photos to the tech, just to be sure. The vet has always responded that unless the edges of the incision are raised and red, it's okay. Thankfully, throughout the decades, there haven't been any problems. The spay site is stitched in layers so a stitch or two failing shouldn't be cause for concern.
Your kitty is a beautiful tuxedo - I love her white bib

rescuecatladylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As mani mani has experienced, I have had a couple of cats act aggressively and my vet said that it was an unusual but unconcerning reaction to anesthesia. My vet keeps the cats for at least 4 hours after they wake up from surgery, which means an overnight stay if the cat isn't trapped until the afternoon. It's very unsettling to watch. I use a large dog carrier as a recovery cage for ferals so I assumed that the behavior was just a case of a feral being freaked out at being in a cage (as long as the carrier is kept completely covered, they stay quietly hunkered down). With my tamed, personal cat, she went "haywire" against all of us, including her "foster mom" PomeranianX dog - it was frightening! Fortunately, she hid behind the couch and slept it off.
I am glad to read that your kitty is doing better.
I haven't had to wash with betadine post-surgery. I have seen some drainage at the surgical site before, in tame kitties (it's not possible to inspect the true ferals) and was able to text photos to the tech, just to be sure. The vet has always responded that unless the edges of the incision are raised and red, it's okay. Thankfully, throughout the decades, there haven't been any problems. The spay site is stitched in layers so a stitch or two failing shouldn't be cause for concern.
Your kitty is a beautiful tuxedo - I love her white bib
I haven't been here in a while so i apologize for the late reply! My kitty ended up returning to normal the next morning, I was just to scared because I'd never seen a cat react this way. We ended up having to buy this special medicine because she developed a bulge (inflammation I think?) But she healed perfectly fine. She's one happy kitty. She's indeed very beautiful, thank you so much! 🥰🥰🥰