Female cat behavior after giving birth

daphne007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I'm new to the site and have a quick question.
My female cat had kittens on Friday and she rejected them.
She had 5 in total and only 2 survived (3 were stillborn).
We tried very hard to get her to come around to take care of her babies but she wanted nothing to do with them.
This really surprised us as she has always been very affectionate with other animals (she would groom our dog for hours).
Luckily we found a foster mommy who was lactating and is taking wonderful care of the babies.
I'm starting to get concerned about my cats behavior.
We have a neutered male cat who she used to be great friends with but now hates with rage.
I need to keep them separated because she just wants to tear him apart when she sees him.
Has this happened with anyone? Is it temporary and perhaps she is going through hormonal changes?
She is fine with our dogs and humans...just not the male cat.
Thanks for your input!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
D daphne007

Welcome! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

She is still hormonal and probably full of milk, and views the male as an unwelcome predator in her life right now. After her system returns to normal, she will likely be friendly to your male cat again. Do you plan to spay her? That will help too.

How did she reject her kittens? Did she not nurse them even once? It can sometimes take a day or so for a new mom to fully settle in. At what point did you remove the kittens?

It's great you found a foster mom for the babies!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

daphne007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 thanks for your input!

I am hoping it is just hormones and we are planning on spaying her but wanted to give her 8 weeks to fully heal.

She didn't want to go anywhere near her kittens. We tried taking her into a smaller room and coaxed her into her birthing box but she kept trying to get away from them.

We waited for almost 12 hours but the kittens were hungry, crying and we were trying to keep them warm with a heater as we didn't want our scent on them in case it deterred her even more.

The one kitten started looking lethargic so I went off to get them milk.

By luck when I went to the pet store for the kitten milk I was given a contact number of a lady who has a cat rescue and has a foster mom lactating.

She took to the kittens immediately and has been taking care of them like they were her very own since. She is such a good mama to them.

I know they aren't out of the woods yet but here is hoping they keep getting stronger and healthier!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
@daphne007

Welcome! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

She is still hormonal and probably full of milk, and views the male as an unwelcome predator in her life right now. After her system returns to normal, she will likely be friendly to your male cat again. Do you plan to spay her? That will help too.

How did she reject her kittens? Did she not nurse them even once? It can sometimes take a day or so for a new mom to fully settle in. At what point did you remove the kittens?

It's great you found a foster mom for the babies!
Sarthur2 thanks for your input!

I am hoping it is just hormones and we are planning on spaying her but wanted to give her 8 weeks to fully heal.

She didn't want to go anywhere near her kittens. We tried taking her into a smaller room and coaxed her into her birthing box but she kept trying to get away from them.

We waited for almost 12 hours but the kittens were hungry, crying and we were trying to keep them warm with a heater as we didn't want our scent on them in case it deterred her even more.

The one kitten started looking lethargic so I went off to get them milk.

By luck when I went to the pet store for the kitten milk I was given a contact number of a lady who has a cat rescue and has a foster mom lactating.

She took to the kittens immediately and has been taking care of them like they were her very own since. She is such a good mama to them.

I know they aren't out of the woods yet but here is hoping they keep getting stronger and healthier!
The usual 8 weeks is because normally she has her kittens and gives them some milk even when they are weaned and ates themselves.

HERE you can spay her earlier, if she is healthy otherwise.   Continue to keep an eye on her.  Hormonal swings is one explanation, another possibility  there is some complication.  Cats in pain dont have the same patience as otheerwise...

Good you found a perfect foster momma.   So the kittens are there?  In the rescue?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your cat can be spayed in another week or so, when her milk glands are dried up. No need to wait eight weeks. As Stefan said, that rule is for nursing mothers because the kittens depend on her.

For future reference, having kitten formula in the house for supplementing is recommended at the time of birth in case mom does not nurse right away. We've had members supplement the first day or two until mom settles down and takes over.

Glad the kittens are doing well though! They need to stay with their foster mom for 8 weeks if possible. [emoji]128522[/emoji]