FeLV Vaccine for a (mostly) indoors cat

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ones I got done for FIV and FeLV were from VetExpert

VetExpert Rapid Test FIV Ab/ FeLV Ag

Not sure which one(s) our vet meant when she said they give false negatives (or if she was talking with evidence.) I got the tests done at another clinic.
This isn't too bad either, especially for FeLV where it is more than exceptional!
FeLV: Sensitivity 100% , Specificity 100%
FIV: Sensitivity 96% , Specificity 98%

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
update:
so I took Juli to the SNP-LA low-cost clinic for her 1st dose of the FeLV vaccine. She got tested for FeLV/FIV last Friday, and went ahead and made the appointment for today since I figured the lab results would surely come back by then. They said they’d contact me with the results. By Wednesday, I still hadn’t heard from them so I tried calling. The number listed is like, useless. There isn’t an option to get a hold of a live person? 😏.
Anywho, so I arrived at my appointment this morning. The vet nurse comes out to get Juli. I tell her it’s for her 1st out of two for the FeLV. She tells me, “we only do a one-shot vaccine.” I tell her, “the nurse last week told me it was two. She’s never had it before...” and then I tell her I never heard back regarding the test. “Ok let me double check with the vet about the lab results, and the vaccine....” and then brings Juli inside.

“Could you double check, thanks. The nurse said it was two...”

Shortly after, she comes back with Juli, and receipts. “You’re right, it’s two. I also emailed the lab results to your email. For the second shot, come back in 3-4 weeks.”

hmm...like I get with Covid-19 and all, I get the need for these social distancing measures, but this whole process feels too impersonal and disconnected for me. The vet nurses barely speak, and are in and out. I also understand that this low-cost clinic is super swamped, and likely scraping by on funds, so I don’t expect the experience to be similar to a nice upscale private practice. They probably have super packed schedules with back to back appointments.

Anywho, I made a wellness exam appointment with this cat clinic recommended by my sis. moving forward next year I’m not sure if I want to keep going to the low-cost clinic.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's all so weird and unusual. They say they emailed the result to you. Did you actually receive it?
And of course I never heard of one single shot of vaccine, it's always two, 3 to 4 weeks apart.
So you should stick with them for the second shot in order to get a booster of the same manufacturer.
As far as I know, the FeLV vaccine is yearly. At least, this is how it works for my cats here in Italy.

May I ask you if you have received a proof of vaccination?
Over here every house pet has an own logbook where the vet records every visit and treatment, along with a part of this logbook dedicated to the vaccinations, the vet remove the tiny label from the vaccine vial and stick it on the relevant box on the page, with the date, an ink stamp and signature. Wherever one takes their pet, a vet can read the pet's history.
Sorry for boring you with this story, I'm just being curious :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's all so weird and unusual. They say they emailed the result to you. Did you actually receive it?
And of course I never heard of one single shot of vaccine, it's always two, 3 to 4 weeks apart.
So you should stick with them for the second shot in order to get a booster of the same manufacturer.
As far as I know, the FeLV vaccine is yearly. At least, this is how it works for my cats here in Italy.

May I ask you if you have received a proof of vaccination?
Over here every house pet has an own logbook where the vet records every visit and treatment, along with a part of this logbook dedicated to the vaccinations, the vet remove the tiny label from the vaccine vial and stick it on the relevant box on the page, with the date, an ink stamp and signature. Wherever one takes their pet, a vet can read the pet's history.
Sorry for boring you with this story, I'm just being curious :)
I did get the email of the lab results, it was the ELISA test. Every visit, they give a receipt/statement for the services received. This was the last one:

image.jpg

It’s pretty minimal. Of course, I’ll finish the second dosage with them. My understanding is that because it’s a non-profit low-cost clinic, things are going to be kept to a minimum.

this is the emailed results of the test:

DB6FCF3D-6F5E-41E5-99A7-C6AAADA66886.jpeg