Felv test

TianShi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend has a cat that she bought from a breeder and he was supper cute... he had papers and all his health documents n such she explained to me as she asked for my help :/ and support... anyways she took her new baby to the vet like anyone would after purchasing a Persian. She went to a low cost vet and To her surprise they said the blood work came back positive with felv O.O she freaked out called me and I told her to calm down....sigh.... she asked to see the test and they refused... she demanded to.. they said they would "test again" and it was positive again ... After she told me that I told her to go to my vet... and another higher end and she did both came back negative......wtf... so Im not sure why a vet would do that but it scared her really bad.. and im just wondering if this has ever happened to others? Anna told me she contacted the breeder and that the breeder said that the mother n father had the felv and fiv vaccination and that it can show "traces" of it in the very young kitten... dose anyone know about this topic so I can come in with news for my girl lol?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Possibly the simplest way to soothe her nerves would be for her to ask your vet ( and maybe she has) if the explanation given by the breeder is a reasonable one. The first vet's refusal to show her the results, which are legally her property, is suspicious. If she had asked for them in order to take them to your vet, they would have needed to give them to her immediately. Given that she will hopefully never go to the low budget vet again, maybe she can get the tests and bring them to your vet for one final discussion of the subject.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
To her surprise they said the blood work came back positive with felv O.O she freaked out called me and I told her to calm down....sigh.... she asked to see the test and they refused... she demanded to.. they said they would "test again" and it was positive again ... After she told me that I told her to go to my vet... and another higher end and she did both came back negative......***... so Im not sure why a vet would do that but it scared her really bad.. and im just wondering if this has ever happened to others? Anna told me she contacted the breeder and that the breeder said that the mother n father had the felv and fiv vaccination and that it can show "traces" of it in the very young kitten
It happens. Traces of the vaccine from parents can show up in young kittens as a false positive at first. It doesn't mean that the first vet made a mistake, the positive test results were based on the timing of the test.

It must have been worrying for your friend, but I'm glad to hear her kitten is healthy.

We have an article here about vaccines.

Cat Vaccinations: A Quick & Useful Guide – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TianShi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It happens. Traces of the vaccine from parents can show up in young kittens as a false positive at first. It doesn't mean that the first vet made a mistake, the positive test results were based on the timing of the test.

It must have been worrying for your friend, but I'm glad to hear her kitten is healthy.

We have an article here about vaccines.

Cat Vaccinations: A Quick & Useful Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Yeah I read this too and the breeder had mention this to Anna.. I was in shock 😲 because my cats have been around hers!! Mine are fine too..just a bit strange a vet would do this... she said they where acting suspicious and she just didn't understand why.. I don't either.. Maybe money? Idk...