Vegetarian & Vegan Food and Lifestyle

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
One I've heard mentioned a lot is Forks Over Knives.
I've seen Forks Over Knives several times and highly recommend it. It discusses a lot of research that has been done to help people change their diet from animal to plant based as well as control various diseases. It's excellent, even my husband who is not vegetarian has watched it with me. You may want to give it a try. ;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've seen Forks Over Knives several times and highly recommend it. It discusses a lot of research that has been done to help people change their diet from animal to plant based as well as control various diseases. It's excellent, even my husband who is not vegetarian has watched it with me. You may want to give it a try. ;)
The research part sounds interesting. It's when they highlight the plight of the factory farm animals, and the workers for that matter, that I can't watch.

I just remembered the name of the video that was always mentioned when I first became vegetarian. It was "Meet Your Meat". I read a tiny bit of a review, and knew I could never watch it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The research part sounds interesting. It's when they highlight the plight of the factory farm animals, and the workers for that matter, that I can't watch.
Unlike the video you mentioned Forks Over Knives is health based and talks about certain common illnesses that can be prevented or reversed by adopting a plant based diet. It does not deal with animal abuse or cruelty. I'm with you, I don't care for those type of movies either.

Forks Over Knives Documentary - Now on Netflix

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you guys add breadcrumbs to your vegetarian casseroles? Do you melt butter and mix it in the crumbs?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How do you guys add breadcrumbs to your vegetarian casseroles? Do you melt butter and mix it in the crumbs?
Do you mean for topping casseroles? If so, that's not something I do often. However, I do have one macaroni casserole that has crushed cracker crumbs on top, and I do mix the crumbs with a small amount of melted butter/margarine.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
What is the ratio of butter/oil to crumbs? I don't want to mess it up.
Since I don't usually use butter I would say the absolute smallest amount but the ratio depends on the amount of bread crumbs. Just enough to coat/combine the breadcrumbs but not overpower them. Hope that helps.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is the ratio of butter/oil to crumbs? I don't want to mess it up.
Just enough butter to moisten the crumbs and help them get golden brown. 1 cup dry bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons of melted butter / butter substitute / oil is what most recipes suggest. You can add herbs, spices, garlic, cheese, etc to the mixture if you wish.

Besides bread crumbs, there are lots of things you can use for a crunchy casserole topping. Here are some suggestions:

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just enough to coat/combine the breadcrumbs but not overpower them. Hope that helps.
Thank you. Yes, that helps.

Just enough butter to moisten the crumbs and help them get golden brown. 1 cup dry bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons of melted butter / butter substitute / oil is what most recipes suggest. You can add herbs, spices, garlic, cheese, etc to the mixture if you wish.
Thank you for all the details! I never thought of adding spices, but spicy breadcrumbs would be perfect for me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like panko crumbs for topping casseroles. You can get it at Walmart, just a box of topping, lasts for 3 or 4 casseroles unless you like it thick.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any store bought bread crumbs are ready to use as is or you can add herbs, etc to it even the ones that are labeled as seasoned :) Panko is really good. It's a Japanese style bread crumb that is fluffier than regular bread crumbs that look like sand.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's awesome. I already play around with their menu a lot and switch the meat to beans. But this will make it easier.
Didn't they used to put lard in refried beans? I'm so glad they don't do that anymore.
They probably did at one point. The bean burrito is one of my faves. I add potatoes, jalapenos and guacamole. :yummy: