Vegetarian & Vegan Food and Lifestyle

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Even Einstein thought he would have lived longer had he been vegetarian much sooner. :kiss:
The Desiderata is a great thing to google if you are depressed about aging or even if you are not. It is beautiful. :hearthrob:

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I did too. You know, like Marcia and Jan Brady. ;)
I think we all did. I can't even imagine how much it must hurt to lose it. :hugs:

I do think it's going to grow back over time, but you might need to wear it in a protective style (buns, braids, etc.) to keep it safe for awhile. Because hair takes time to grow, you might also think of it more as being for you than for other people by the time it gets down to your waist again. It could be thin and fragile and out of style for 202x, but it will still be a part of your body and something special and unique that every little girl longed for in the late '60s and '70s.

Wear it up. Wear hats. Wear wigs if you want, after you educate yourself, but keep your hair for yourself. Save it to share with people who can appreciate it. Laugh off the hurt and make jokes when you need to, but always remember that you are more than a fashion statement.

:hugs:

I wouldn't be comfortable sharing this if I hadn't already mentioned that I present as big time caucasian whitegirl:

and no offense at all intended to anyone who enjoys their hair as a fashion accessory. Think about a cat's whisker's. Alopecia makes me feel as if I were a cat and somebody cut off my whiskers.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
only the last year of his life.
Better late than never as they say. :thumbsup:

You're not even that old yet.
My brother went gray at 34, but here I am at 44 with no gray. Probably all the vitamins I take.

The Desiderata
Is that a poem? I think that's the poem I read in my Valedictorian speech in high school.

but always remember that you are more than a fashion statement.
Thank you for that. :hugs:

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Better late than never as they say. :thumbsup:

My brother went gray at 34, but here I am at 44 with no gray. Probably all the vitamins I take.

Is that a poem? I think that's the poem I read in my Valedictorian speech in high school.

Thank you for that. :hugs:
Yes, that's the poem written in the 1920's. Great pick for your speech!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even Einstein thought he would have lived longer had he been vegetarian much sooner. :kiss:
The Desiderata is a great thing to google if you are depressed about aging or even if you are not. It is beautiful. :hearthrob:
I have the Desiderata on a record. I forgot who recorded it. It used to help me but I doubt if it still would.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama --Do you still have that chart for vegetarian foods high in Iron? I want to do a week of that. I know leafy greens, but I don't know what else.

My cousin was telling me on Facebook today that if we don't eat animals, then they will overrun the earth with overpopulation, and also they would run out of food and starve. :eek2: I still don't think the solution is to kill.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My cousin was telling me on Facebook today that if we don't eat animals, then they will overrun the earth with overpopulation, and also they would run out of food and starve
:spew:
Now I've heard some wacky conspiracy theories in my time, but.....

Most of the animals people eat are bred for consumption. If people didn't eat them or use dairy products they wouldn't be bred, so they're not going to suddenly explode in numbers if more of us stop eating meat.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is true for deer in many areas though their numbers would be limited by the amount of food available. It is true because the natural predators in that area, namely wolves and mountain lions, were killed off years ago. The main reason that the natural predators were killed was to protect the animals being raised for food. If people back in the day had eaten a plant based diet then there would have been less disruption to the natural ecosystem though there would have still been the loss of habitat.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama --Do you still have that chart for vegetarian foods high in Iron? I want to do a week of that. I know leafy greens, but I don't know what else.
Here's one chart. There's a bunch more here: vegetarian iron - Google Search

1581252301734.png

My cousin was telling me on Facebook today that if we don't eat animals, then they will overrun the earth with overpopulation, and also they would run out of food and starve. :eek2: I still don't think the solution is to kill.
I think it's more like humans are over-running the earth and depleting it of the resources needed to survive.:(

But, yes, she's probably not wrong about deer becoming over-populated, as they are now a "nuisance" in many towns and cities. However, there must be a better way to control their population, than to kill them.

Maybe this will work: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...r-get-birth-control-to-curb-numbers-1.5297042

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's one chart.
Thanks. I knew I could count on you for a good chart. :thumbsup: I didn't know that nuts contain iron. I have cashews, pecans, walnuts, slivered almonds. I think I might be lacking in leafy greens because my mom insists on making dinner and she has outlawed them because she says they are bad for her digestion. :rolleyes3: So I'll have to eat them at lunch.

I think it's more like humans are over-running the earth and depleting it of the resources needed to survive.
That's a good point. :sigh: And I agree that birth control would be much more humane than killing the deer.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And I agree that birth control would be much more humane than killing the deer.
Definitely more humane, but I still worry, as whenever humans try to fix something, more often than not, something else goes wrong. :sigh:

Oh ... about the iron. Because iron from plants is harder for our bodies to absorb than the type from animals, try to include something that includes vitamin C when you eat plant based iron foods. And avoid drinking tea with meals, as it can lessen the iron absorption.

1581256756406.png

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's the problem with charts. Being a picture, they're easy to quickly look at. But there's no guarantee on accuracy of the info. :sigh:

One website I think is probably accurate is The World's Healthiest Foods

Here's his link for broccoli, and iron is pretty low down the list. :hmmm:
Broccoli

Here's his link for iron. There's a chart, as well.
iron

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest brother posted on Facebook that he watched a Netflix documentary and now he wants to try being vegetarian! That is so cool. His wife is already mostly veggie, but she eats fish. I can't remember the name of the documentary.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My oldest brother posted on Facebook that he watched a Netflix documentary and now he wants to try being vegetarian! That is so cool. His wife is already mostly veggie, but she eats fish. I can't remember the name of the documentary.
I've heard of those documentaries, but as an animal lover I would never be able to get the images out of my mind, so I've never watched any of them. One I've heard mentioned a lot is Forks Over Knives.

Two thumbs up! 👍 👍
Ditto

👍👍