Vegetarian & Vegan Food and Lifestyle

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama --Do you have a chart for the Omegas that vegetarians need? I'd rather get them from food because Omega supplements are so expensive!

I increased my Biotin and Protein, but no change in the hair loss. I'm hoping to fix this before my next blood test, because I don't want my doc to tell me to quit my vegetarian diet. I saw some hair supplements that had horsetail extract in it. Not sure if that would help.

I haven't tried the Lysine, but I do have some powder.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I don't want my doc to tell me to quit my vegetarian diet. I saw some hair supplements that had horsetail extract in it. Not sure if that would help.
I don't know how helpful this is under your circumstances, but most M.D.s in the US do not receive much training in nutrition. They watch the same TV shows and are "served" the same advertisements on their internet connected devices as anyone else. They are just as likely to be ignorant and closed-minded about anything "different", "hippie-dippie", or "eccentric" as any other member of their socioeconomic class.

It is really none of my doctor's business if I hired him to diagnose a problem, prescribe a pill, or perform a surgery. Yours does need to know that you are receiving adequate nutrition, but does he really need to know exactly "where you get your protein" as long as you're getting enough?

You are eating normally. You are becoming more and more interested in the culinary arts, or at least I see you sharing more posts about the tastes and textures of your food and asking more questions about preparing it. You have a lot of positive information to share with your doctor. You don't need to use words such as "vegetarian" that are going to make him slam his mind shut and check the box for "noncompliant patient".

It isn't a lie to say, "I like vegetarian food." or "I even eat vegetarian food."

Regardless of what your doctor says or what temporary measures you need to take for your health, you know better now and you are still one of us. BTDT with the veg*n bashing. It sucks, but you'll survive just like the rest of us.

:grouphug:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I increased my Biotin and Protein, but no change in the hair loss. I'm hoping to fix this before my next blood test, because I don't want my doc to tell me to quit my vegetarian diet.
If it's hormonal or genetic your diet really won't make a difference. I've been vegetarian for a long time and eat healthy - my yearly blood tests indicate everything in the normal range. So diet had no effect on my hair thinning. Maybe you can talk with your hair stylist or whoever you see for a hair cut for suggestions. Here is an article that may also have some helpful information for you:
Hair Loss in Women: When Should You Worry?

Good luck, I hope you can get to the "root" of the cause, (no pun intended). ;)

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ayanna Pressley told her alopecia story and it's all over the news. I hope your hairstylist has good news for you and that you are able to ask your doctor for the blood tests if he gives you any grief AT ALL.

You have been under an abnormal amount of stress recently:

even though you are about the age when alopecia is commonly noticed. It really is your hairstylist's area of expertise and not your doctor's. This link has some pictures of styles for various lengths of fine, thin, straight hair: 20 Super Chic Hairstyles for Fine Straight Hair

I like a messy bun held in place with a single hair tie but I might get more adventuresome after looking at these. :D

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama --Do you have a chart for the Omegas that vegetarians need? I'd rather get them from food because Omega supplements are so expensive!
Here's the link to a website I reference often. There's tons of info, but it might be a lot to take in all at once. There's charts, as well as literature.

omega-3 fatty acids

Plus from another site, a pretty chart.

1579387966764.png

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I increased my Biotin and Protein, but no change in the hair loss. I'm hoping to fix this before my next blood test, because I don't want my doc to tell me to quit my vegetarian diet. I saw some hair supplements that had horsetail extract in it. Not sure if that would help.
I still wonder if your current hair loss is from the fasting you were doing last summer, and then your surgery/stress in the fall.

From what I've read, hair won't instantly show damage from nutritional deficiencies or stress, but at the same time, won't instantly show signs of repair either. In other words, damage will show up months after the stress/nutritional deficiency, and won't show signs of improvement for months after healthier changes are started.

I do know how disturbing it is to run you fingers through your hair, and strands of hair keep coming out. :hugs: So not discounting your worry, at all. Just not quite ready to blame your new vegetarian diet yet.

BTW, here's a thread from last fall that might be helpful: Anyone have experience with stress induced hair loss?

Maybe you can talk with your hair stylist or whoever you see for a hair cut for suggestions.
I was going to suggest the same thing. Hair stylists have to learn all about the health of hair when they take their courses, so they know a lot about what cause hair loss, dry hair, etc.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it's caused by stress, then it can't be helped. Wherever my mother is, there will be stress. :(
But you're used to the stress with your mom, and if you haven't had hair loss before, it's probably not related to her. However, last fall your body had to deal with a major life-threatening health issue, so that's the stress think might be the culprit. :hugs:

Maybe check this out: Hair Loss After Surgery Explained – Larry S. Nichter, MD, FACS

Here's an excerpt. Note the last sentence.
Stress is a major factor in surgery-related hair loss. During stress our bodies shunt nutrients to our heart, lungs, muscles and other vital organs. As a result, hair may be weakened and in some cases, hair follicles stop producing new hair. This is called telogen effluvium. This is the most common form of hair loss and typically seen two to three months after a major body stress, such as major surgery, chronic illness, or significant infection.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you like wearing it long or don't want to trust a stranger to cut it the way you like it, you might be able to make an appointment for just a consultation about the alopecia.

I just assumed you were white because that's what I am. Here are some more styles:

and there are always hair extensions. You're still young enough to deserve to feel beautiful. :hugs:

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you like wearing it long or don't want to trust a stranger to cut it the way you like it, you might be able to make an appointment for just a consultation about the alopecia.

I just assumed you were white because that's what I am. Here are some more styles:

[/URL]

and there are always hair extensions. You're still young enough to deserve to feel beautiful. :hugs:
Even centenarians deserve to feel beautiful.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, long straight ash blonde hair. It used to be down to my waist and very thick. I'm so sad. I lost at least half of it.
Oh,hon, I'm so sorry. :hugs: I do think it'll grow back. But it will take time to grow that long again. Maybe you should consider going to a salon, and ask about getting it cut shorter for a while, so that when the new hair grows it, it won't take so long for it to reach the length of the other hair.

I always wanted hair like that..... :'''''( :hugs:
I did too. You know, like Marcia and Jan Brady. ;)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Einstein said "Nothing will benefit health or increase chances of survival on earth as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Was Einstein a vegetarian? I didn't know that.

But it will take time to grow that long again.
Yeah, it would take years and by that time it will probably go gray. It's so depressing to get old.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise