Vegetarian & Vegan Food and Lifestyle

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I did not. I have not had the port wine cheese in years. I am very suspicious of eating anything that is red in food. Did you get the port wine cheese? Carmine is also used in yogurt, medicine, candy liked Good and Plenty, etc. I think red dye #10 is ok to use but not #40. I don't remember which one did not have the carmine. I also don't like to use anything with enzymes. Like natural flavor it could mean anything. It is not easy being vegetarian is it?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I did not. I have not had the port wine cheese in years. I am very suspicious of eating anything that is red in food. Did you get the port wine cheese? Carmine is also used in yogurt, medicine, candy liked Good and Plenty, etc. I think red dye #10 is ok to use but not #40.
No, I didn't get it yet. The Aldi one is a different brand, it's their own store brand, but they don't list the ingredients on their website, so I bet it has carmine in it too. I'm so glad I found out before I bought it. Thanks for telling me about Red 40, I didn't know about that. Is it always Carmine? Yes, it's not easy being vegetarian. I worry about natural flavors, but they are in everything!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you know that the FDA allows cinnamon to contain insects and poop? :shocked:

HIgh quality real cinnamon is less likely to contain such things.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every food has an allowable amount of insects and poop. Bugs and poop are unavoidable if you live on this planet :D.

My (vegetarian/pescatarian) brother doesn't attempt to avoid things like carmine coloring, enzymes, flavorings, etc. But then he also eats seafood occasionally so he's not a strict vegetarian.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you know that the FDA allows cinnamon to contain insects and poop?
Ewww!

Every food has an allowable amount of insects and poop. Bugs and poop are unavoidable if you live on this planet
Ewww!

My (vegetarian/pescatarian) brother doesn't attempt to avoid things like carmine coloring, enzymes, flavorings
I definitely don't wanna eat insects or insect blood! I'm undecided about natural flavors because most brands seem to label chicken broth or chicken fat if it's in there. With enzymes, I thought they stopped using animal rennet?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely don't wanna eat insects or insect blood! I'm undecided about natural flavors because most brands seem to label chicken broth or chicken fat if it's in there. With enzymes, I thought they stopped using animal rennet?
Some companies stilll use rennet. There is a website that list the names of compnies that make rennet free cheese but I don't know how to post it here. It says cottage cheese, Kraft swiss cheese and Philadelphia cream cheese are some of the rennet free cheeses.

Also cochineal is another name for carmine. Red dye #40 does not contain carmine but it is not good for you.

I am getting too old for this.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is not easy being vegetarian is it?
It isn't, especially if you try to avoid any trace of animal products in your food. That's why I know I can never become vegan, because I would become obsessed with reading every label. Not that I don't already do that. LOL. But some of the ingredients I don't know what they are, and if I was vegan, I would need to know everything.

So though I suspect I'm not even 100% vegetarian, due to hidden animal products in my food, I still feel good that by not eating meat, I've saved the lives of many smaller animals such as chickens and fish. As well as maybe some cows and pigs.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't, especially if you try to avoid any trace of animal products in your food. That's why I know I can never become vegan, because I would become obsessed with reading every label. Not that I don't already do that. LOL. But some of the ingredients I don't know what they are, and if I was vegan, I would need to know everything.

So though I suspect I'm not even 100% vegetarian, due to hidden animal products in my food, I still feel good that by not eating meat, I've saved the lives of many smaller animals such as chickens and fish. As well as maybe some cows and pigs.
Well said!! It's almost impossible to be completely vegetarian or vegan as almost all vegetables contain bugs. Even automobiles and computers are made with animals products. Chocolate, coffee and peanut butter are also allowed to have a certain amount of insects.

When I found out about rennet I quit eating cheese for 30 years. That's right, 30 years without pizza. I will never put myself through that again. I will have my cheese from now on despite rennet or carmine. Yes, I am nuts!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get carried away, you end up like Jain monks, who wear a mask (even pre-COVID :tongue:) and always carry a woolen broom to sweep in front of them so they don't accidentally inhale or step on any bugs. They even avoid eating root vegetables, as bugs may be harmed when they pull the roots up. But even Jain monks drink milk, as long as they can confirm the cow is treated well (I assume they keep their own cow at the monastery).

Reducing suffering is an admirable goal but I do think there are limits.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well said!! It's almost impossible to be completely vegetarian or vegan as almost all vegetables contain bugs. Even automobiles and computers are made with animals products. Chocolate, coffee and peanut butter are also allowed to have a certain amount of insects.

When I found out about rennet I quit eating cheese for 30 years. That's right, 30 years without pizza. I will never put myself through that again. I will have my cheese from now on despite rennet or carmine. Yes, I am nuts!
If you can find it near you, try Amy's frozen roasted vegetable pizza. It's vegan. No cheese. You won't miss it. This is coming from a life long cheese lover. It really is that good.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even automobiles and computers are made with animals products.

This may be getting off topic but if vegans are against using all animal products, do they not realize that animal products are in vehicles and computers and other things they may use every day? :think:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get carried away, you end up like Jain monks, who wear a mask (even pre-COVID :tongue:) and always carry a woolen broom to sweep in front of them so they don't accidentally inhale or step on any bugs. They even avoid eating root vegetables, as bugs may be harmed when they pull the roots up. But even Jain monks drink milk, as long as they can confirm the cow is treated well (I assume they keep their own cow at the monastery).

Reducing suffering is an admirable goal but I do think there are limits.
You are.absolurely right. I have never heard of Jain monks but will have to read up on them. I won't kill bugs. When I found one in the house I would gently put them outside. I couldn't stand the thought of an animal going hungrey so I had to feed every animal that came into my yard. That's how I ended up with all of my cats.

I am surprised anybody replied to my post. I thought everyone would think I am a ranting luntic.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can find it near you, try Amy's frozen roasted vegetable pizza. It's vegan. No cheese. You won't miss it. This is coming from a life long cheese lover. It really is that good.
I'll second that! It's good even if you aren't vegetarian. I find I like most Amy's products.
I tried Linda McCartney's vegan pizza and it was good. I never tried Amy's pizza but I will if I can cook it in the micowave. Amy's products are always good. I am still going to eat real pizza. I deprived myself for 30 years and I will not go through that again.
This may be getting off topic but if vegans are against using all animal products, do they not realize that animal products are in vehicles and computers and other things they may use every day? :think:
I was vegan for 12 years and I knew about the animal products in cars and computers and I fed my cats meat but i still considered myself to be vegan. I don't. know the answer.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do they not realize that animal products are in vehicles and computers and other things they may use every day?
I didn't know about computers and vehicles. What parts besides leather seats?

am surprised anybody replied to my post. I thought everyone would think I am a ranting lunatic.
Everyone thinks I'm weird/crazy, but they just kinda accept it as part of my charm I guess. :thumbsup:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't know about computers and vehicles. What parts besides leather seats?
Steering wheels can be leather, particularly in higher level models of vehicles. :disappointed:

But as they point out, veganism is about reducing suffering as much as possible, and some things are impossible for the average person to change.
I guess kind of a case of "don't sweat the small stuff" and be proud of the changes we make that we can control, and do make a difference.