Vegetarian & Vegan Food and Lifestyle

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently turned vegetarian and am trying my first veggie spag bowl tonight - will let you know how it tasted!
When I was young and my family was dirt poor my mother used to make spaghetti sauce with an egg or two in place of meat. It doesn’t really taste like anything but it adds protein to the sauce.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I recently turned vegetarian and am trying my first veggie spag bowl tonight - will let you know how it tasted!
Congrats on turning vegetarian! :bouquet: Let us know how dinner turned out. Also, let us know if you need any tips / advice. And check out the Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Vegetarian/vegan for some recipes.

My 12th veggiversary was October 14th, btw. :dazzler:

When I was young and my family was dirt poor my mother used to make spaghetti sauce with an egg or two in place of meat. It doesn’t really taste like anything but it adds protein to the sauce.
How'd that work? Was the egg scrambled first? Or whole?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on turning vegetarian! :bouquet: Let us know how dinner turned out. Also, let us know if you need any tips / advice. And check out the Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Vegetarian/vegan for some recipes.

Mom would just drop them in. The yoke became a “meatball” and the white became white threads in the sauce that looked like strings of cheese.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mom would just drop them in. The yoke became a “meatball” and the white became white threads in the sauce that looked like strings of cheese.
I'm picky when it comes to eggs, (well food in general, LOL) and though it sounds interesting, not something I'd probably try.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you! I'll check that out, I'm always on the look out for new recipes :) It was surprisingly delicious considering it was made from scratch!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mix an egg in with ramen, and if I put the egg in hot noodles and mix it in very well, and don't put it back in the microwave
You just stir the egg in raw without cooking it? I put a diced up hard boiled egg in my stir-fry and it was good, it tasted just like tofu chunks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You just stir the egg in raw without cooking it? I put a diced up hard boiled egg in my stir-fry and it was good, it tasted just like tofu chunks.
Yep, I just stir it in raw, if the broth is hot enough it cooks it, like egg drop soup. But hard-boiled or jammy eggs are good in ramen too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had those new Dunkin' cereals in my online cart at Walmart, almost bought them. But then I saw that they have gelatin in them. Dang. They sounded so good, based on flavored coffee drinks.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had those new Dunkin' cereals in my online cart at Walmart, almost bought them. But then I saw that they have gelatin in them. Dang. They sounded so good, based on flavored coffee drinks.
That's like Pop Tarts. I haven't had them in years, and had a craving for one, and when I looked for them, discovered in Canada we only have frosted ones, so therefore, gelatin as an ingredient. :mad:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I emailed 2 different companies to ask if the Glycerin in their snack cakes was vegetarian. But they both told me that they couldn't answer questions about ingredients by email, they said I had to call. Well with my phone anxiety, that was not going to happen. So I just bought the snack cakes and ate them. I didn't like them anyway, too sweet. But what a pain! Can't even get a simple question answered. 😕

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Guessing it's very similar to the delicious Gardein Stuffed Turk'y which has 2 separate servings, as opposed to the holiday roast that is sliced and serves 8.

I bought my Stuffed Turk'y early this year, as like the person who wrote the article, learned from the past, that they can sell out quickly.
1607691663187.png

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anybody know how to make a peanut butter muffin in a coffee mug, in the microwave? You know those instant ones? I want muffin, not cake. I tried Googling it and I guess I need flour, baking powder, egg, sweetener, oil or butter? What else? I don't want it to be too sweet.