Vegetarian & Vegan Food and Lifestyle

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I'll take a pic of it, 'cause I'm confused. It looks like tiny seeds. I do have the powder kind too, but it doesn't taste as good, I like the crunch of the whole seeds.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe I'll take a pic of it, 'cause I'm confused. It looks like tiny seeds.
Yes, it does look like tiny seeds. We're bringing Carleton to the vet this morning for a planned dental surgery but if I remember I'll take a pic of it for you.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
M maggiedemi I thought I'd take these pics for you while getting my breakfast ready. First is a pic of the flaxseeds and second is a pic of it in my oatmeal.

IMG_0419.jpeg
IMG_0420.jpeg

Sabbers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is everyone's favourite veggie/vegan recipe books or websites? I'm cooking more from scratch during this quarantine. I have a few books but then end up not picking any recipes because there is too much to chose from.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you use Cajun Seasoning in cooking? I made an enchilada casserole with Cajun Seasoning, Chili Power, Cumin, Black Pepper. But it was terrible, those spices definitely didn't mix well. What did I do wrong? Is there a website that would teach me which spices combine well together?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How do you use Cajun Seasoning in cooking? I made an enchilada casserole with Cajun Seasoning, Chili Power, Cumin, Black Pepper. But it was terrible, those spices definitely didn't mix well. What did I do wrong? Is there a website that would teach me which spices combine well together?

Maybe it would be best to follow a recipe than to just add things together?

Cajun seasoning is typically used to season and flavor meat in Cajun cuisine. It doesn't work well for other cuisines as you've found.

There are various charts that with suggestions on good spice pairings and waht foods they are typically used for. Here's one:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are various charts that with suggestions on good spice pairings and waht foods they are typically used for. Here's one:
Thank you so much! That's exactly the type of chart I was looking for. :)👍

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I gave eating meat last year but at first it was for health/solidarity reasons.

My younger sister was diagnosed with MS, and doctors advised her to cut out meat and dairy immediately as this diet can help prevent a relapse. So it’s more like a vegan/plant-based diet but you’re encouraged to eat fish.

I’m at higher risk of developing MS because my sister has it, and more of the family adopting the same diet made it easier on my sister. I’ve stuck with it ever since! So I guess I’m a dairy-free pescatarian.

I don’t miss meat at all (really thought I would!) but allowing myself to eat seafood means I can still cook a nice dinner for myself and the cat!

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since I've eaten meat my entire life up until the last 12 months, and my fiancé is very much a meat-eater, I'm always on the look-out for 'meaty' meat-free recipes that'll satisfy the both of us.

One of my all-time favourite foods as a meat eater was chilli con carne. After a few lacklustre veggie chilli attempts I stumbled across this version, and it has been a firm favourite in our household ever since. Essentially, make it with several types of beans, divide the chilli into two, blitz one portion, then mix back together. The texture is spot on and even meat-eaters love it. Very easy to make entirely vegan, or load it with cheese etc.!

Cookie and Kate - Vegetarian Chilli Recipe

Capture.PNG