Vegetarian & Vegan Food and Lifestyle

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess that was a little off topic question about dating non vegetarians. But maybe not because it is about vegetarianism. Anyway, I have been making little mini one and two serving vegetarian casseroles in my toaster oven! I am having so much fun experimenting. I told my mom that I will be making all my own meals from now on. I am finally getting out from under her control of every little thing in my life. :cheerleader:🍝🥘🍲🌯

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess that was a little off topic question about dating non vegetarians. But maybe not because it is about vegetarianism.
It's a good question, actually. Some vegetarians and vegans who are married to/have significant others who eat meat, still prepare meat meals for them, just don't eat it themselves. I'm not sure I could, though, as I learned to hate the smell of meat cooking. And when I did eat meat, I hated if my hands actually touched it. So I can't imagine ever cooking with meat again, but I've long since learned to never say never.

Anyway, I have been making little mini one and two serving vegetarian casseroles in my toaster oven! I am having so much fun experimenting. I told my mom that I will be making all my own meals from now on. I am finally getting out from under her control of every little thing in my life. :cheerleader:🍝🥘🍲🌯
That's great. :dance:

So do your parents ever try anything you make?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vegetarians and vegans who are married to/have significant others who eat meat, still prepare meat meals for them
I don't think I could do that now that I'm so far into the vegetarianism. I would just let them cook the meat themselves. But I hesitate to ban meat from the house because of how controlling my mom is. I know how it feels, so I could never try to control somebody like that.

So do your parents ever try anything you make?
Rockhead sometimes tries things that I make. He likes pasta, but not anything with those corn tortillas. My mom won't try anything I make, she's too picky. She won't eat any type of spices, not even pepper or salt. She mostly eats rice and eggs. Oddly enough she loves medium salsa and puts it on everything! She claims to be allergic to hot peppers, but there are hot peppers in salsa.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's a good question, actually. Some vegetarians and vegans who are married to/have significant others who eat meat, still prepare meat meals for them, just don't eat it themselves.
I agree, that is a good question. :agree: Speaking from someone who is vegetarian but married to a non-vegetarian husband - when I got married I was not vegetarian so eating meat didn't make a difference to me. I became vegetarian with one of our daughters approx. 11 years ago. I would not expect my husband to become vegetarian unless he wanted to but rather lead by example. Now he has cut out red meat except for an occasional roast and eats more poultry. I also try to make dishes we can both share. By not forcing anything on him he has opened up to trying new dishes so I'm thankful for that change. M maggiedemi Maybe in time your mom will consider doing the same. :crossfingers:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think I could do that now that I'm so far into the vegetarianism. I would just let them cook the meat themselves. But I hesitate to ban meat from the house because of how controlling my mom is. I know how it feels, so I could never try to control somebody like that.

Rockhead sometimes tries things that I make. He likes pasta, but not anything with those corn tortillas. My mom won't try anything I make, she's too picky. She won't eat any type of spices, not even pepper or salt. She mostly eats rice and eggs. Oddly enough she loves medium salsa and puts it on everything! She claims to be allergic to hot peppers, but there are hot peppers in salsa.
My late MIL swore up and down that she was highly lactose intolerant yet somehow managed to put away 2 bowls of chocolate ice cream every night after dinner. DD asked FIL about it once and he just shrugged. It was regular ice cream not dairy free, lactose free or anything like that which she knew because she told him what kind to get.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a lot of older people were taught that it's bad or rude to have food preferences, so they made up allergies or intolerances so they wouldn't have to eat stuff they didn't like. My grandma was "allergic" to coconut.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think a lot of older people were taught that it's bad or rude to have food preferences, so they made up allergies or intolerances so they wouldn't have to eat stuff they didn't like. My grandma was "allergic" to coconut.
It wasn't that. IMO it was an attention getter. She swore that she got food poisoning from Denny's once and after that she was lactose intolerant. Her mother then agreed and said she was too. I think she "forgot" about it. She had no problem eating cheese, butter, etc. She also "developed" an allergy to black pepper later in life but had no issues eating it unless someone actually told her that it was in something. She also used half & half in her coffee the entire time. I bet had someone brought it to her attention, she would have all of a sudden developed problems and blamed FIL despite the fact that he bought what she asked for. He didn't argue with her about stuff like that. I think he knew the truth and figured it wasn't worth it. She was only 73 when she passed and this started a LONG time ago. I think when DD was a baby and she's 25.

I do get that though. I will tell people that I am allergic to cilantro (it ruins everything it touches) and bananas so they don't put them in my food. Simply telling someone I don't like bananas gets, "Oh that's because you never tried my banana muffins or cake or pudding, etc" No and I'd rather lick asphalt thank you. I hate bananas.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh. Here's a strange one. Kellogg's Frosted Mini Wheats & Frosted Pop Tarts have animal gelatin in them! I was curious, so I checked the Betty Crocker frosting that I buy, but that didn't have gelatin in it. So I wonder why Kellogg's uses gelatin in their frosting?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh. Here's a strange one. Kellogg's Frosted Mini Wheats & Frosted Pop Tarts have animal gelatin in them! I was curious, so I checked the Betty Crocker frosting that I buy, but that didn't have gelatin in it. So I wonder why Kellogg's uses gelatin in their frosting?
Probably because they save a few pennies. Dosen't Kellogg's own Mornstar products?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My late MIL swore up and down that she was highly lactose intolerant yet somehow managed to put away 2 bowls of chocolate ice cream every night after dinner. DD asked FIL about it once and he just shrugged. It was regular ice cream not dairy free, lactose free or anything like that which she knew because she told him what kind to get.
Lactose intolerance definitely has varying degrees. I can't drink a cup of milk straight or have a latte since it's mostly milk. But I can eat plenty of cheese and yogurt. Certain rich ice creams set me off at first but if I eat it again the 2nd day it's okay. A little bit of milk in my coffee as creamer works fine as well.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I knew about Pop Tarts, but not Frosted Mini Wheats, but makes sense, as similar frosting. Frustrating, because I had a craving for a Pop Tart a while back, and they all had frosting. :argh:

BTW, some yogurt has gelatin too. :(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dosen't Kellogg's own Mornstar products?
I don't know, but I guess we can trust Morningstar products because they are labeled vegetarian.

I knew about Pop Tarts, but not Frosted Mini Wheats
I didn't know! I wanted to try the pumpkin cereal. I didn't know about pop tarts either. I hope that I would have read the ingredients, but could easily have just grabbed a box. They have unfrosted ones that probably taste better anyway, less sweet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BTW, some yogurt has gelatin too. :(

Some use pectin from plants instead of gelatin. I found this:

For gelatin-free yogurt, consider plain Greek yogurt, like Fage or Dannon's all-natural yogurt, which uses pectin, a plant-derived thickener.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most of the nicer brand yogurts don't have pectin. I only eat greek and I check the ingredients list to make sure additional sugar hasn't been added, among other things.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We still have several Einstein Bros. franchises here but I don't eat bagels too often. However, one of our neighbors loves their bagels so I'll have to let him know about the article LTS3 LTS3 posted.