Felix now frequently pooping on the floor...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realized tonight that Fayola has also been pooping on the floor because Felix and his stress are also stressing her out. I've moved her back into my bedroom. However, it is small in there. If she uses the litterbox, I will have little to no usable oxygen to breath. Any tips? I didn't know what else to do so I figured separating them for now will let them both have time to themselves to relax.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely make sure to get some enzymatic urine/pet cleaner so that they can't smell the same spot.
Try Feliway plug ins and also try out some litter attractant ....it might coax them to use the box.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realized tonight that Fayola has also been pooping on the floor because Felix and his stress are also stressing her out. I've moved her back into my bedroom. However, it is small in there. If she uses the litterbox, I will have little to no usable oxygen to breath. Any tips? I didn't know what else to do so I figured separating them for now will let them both have time to themselves to relax.
That may be a no-win situation. If you can't train the Dog to leave the Cats alone it's likely to continue, if not get worse. You may end up with them fighting with eachother if they get more stressed by the situation.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
That may be a no-win situation. If you can't train the Dog to leave the Cats alone it's likely to continue, if not get worse. You may end up with them fighting with eachother if they get more stressed by the situation.
That's what I'm afraid of because I know if it reaches that point, it would be cruel to expect them to coexist and live their lives to the fullest without stress/fear. Then I'd have to make a tough decision.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I'm afraid of because I know if it reaches that point, it would be cruel to expect them to coexist and live their lives to the fullest without stress/fear. Then I'd have to make a tough decision.
Tbh I did raise an eyebrow because I noticed you guys were adding more and more furry members. But ya know I understand. We have 3 cats and always mostly joke about getting more. We wish we really could though.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's not something anyone wants to deal with, I've been there myself. You might want to talk to friends, family, etc. and see if anyone would be willing to take one of them if things get worse. At least then you'd have options other than taking any of them to a shelter if it gets to that point.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Tbh I did raise an eyebrow because I noticed you guys were adding more and more furry members. But ya know I understand. We have 3 cats and always mostly joke about getting more. We wish we really could though.
I didn't take Fayola in on purpose. If the rescue had said that they had someone for her, she wouldn't be here right now but she is old and they didn't have any foster homes that would take her. She also bonded with me a lot throughout her pregnancy and afterwards which is why I decided on keeping her.

As for the dog, I don't know if you are familiar with the situation I was in with the previous dog I had before Izellah but if it weren't for that, I wouldn't have been looking for another dog and all would have been well in my house right now.

I just don't want you to think I'm hoarding animals or something.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't take Fayola in on purpose. If the rescue had said that they had someone for her, she wouldn't be here right now but she is old and they didn't have any foster homes that would take her. She also bonded with me a lot throughout her pregnancy and afterwards which is why I decided on keeping her.

As for the dog, I don't know if you are familiar with the situation I was in with the previous dog I had before Izellah but if it weren't for that, I wouldn't have been looking for another dog and all would have been well in my house right now.

I just don't want you to think I'm hoarding animals or something.
No I certainly didn't think you were! I was just thinking it was a lot of changes during a short time frame. We went through some challenges as well when we added the last kitty.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It is. I wish I had thought about that before so I feel really stupid right now. But we've almost had this dog for 6 months.

I think what would help is me sitting down with everyone in the house and having an honest conversation about what's going on with the animals. We need to try to come up with a working and permanent solution that will make both cats and pup happy.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I separated the cats, they are much happier. Felix and Fayola are back to using their respective litter boxes as usual and both are seemingly less stressed. Definitely more playful as well.

Should I just always keep them separated then?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to add to the thought process. I have a cat who had a peeing problem due to stress. I was at my wits end (he literally lived in a cage when unsupervised for several months). He's been on prozac since July and everything has been so much better. It took a while to start chilling him out, but almost right away he stopped peeing on things.

Is there a way to change your living situation? I worry that a dog isolated to a space in the basement a lot of the time is unlikely to get better at being around the cats any time soon. Have you been able to go to any training classes or find a trainer to work with to help with the problems you're having with her?

It sounds like you have three distinct animal personalities that don't mesh. Separating them is really only a short term solution with the limited space, and your own limited time.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been able to see my regular dog trainer. I registered for the class but haven't shown up because things keep getting in the way.

Right now, I don't see my living situation changing. My parents are constantly fighting and can't agree on anything. So, unless she decides to leave him any time soon, I'm pretty much stuck here until I have the means to move out on my own.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At this point keep them all separated, but hopefully ALL of them - including the dog - are being given adequate attention. It would seem the actual disruptor in this situation is the dog. So, you really should consider finding a new home for the dog - but, you can take your time doing so. The thing is that while cats need proper attention, loving, and care, the dog will be the one to suffer the most in being cooped up in a basement most of the time. Cats are much better at being semi-independent than dogs.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom and I are going to try to clear some of the junk in the basement and put the cats down there and then move the dog back upstairs. Not sure if that'll help but it's worth a try I guess.

My mom and I both spend time playing with her and looking after her. My mom spends the most time with her (because she sews in the basement) and I spend more time with the cats.

The contract says I'm not allowed to rehome unless I contact and discuss the situation with the breeder first so the breeder is the one who would most likely take her back. But she keeps breeding her dogs and is expecting yet another litter this month so I'm not sure she wants her back.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is it that you can place BOTH cats in the basement when they are still not getting along together? You said they are both doing fine being separated. So, I guess you are willing to gamble that the both of them having space entirely away from the dog will resolve your problem? So, what are you supposed to do IF you were to contact the breeder and she wouldn't want to take the dog back - is that when you would have free reign to re-home the dog on your own?

All I know is when you clear space in the basement, you had better thoroughly clean/sanitize the area to remove any smell/trace of the dog, to at least give the cats a chance at being peaceful/content in there - and possibly with one another. If that doesn't work, I hope you are developing a back-up plan for that situation.

Well, hopefully your solution works! I wish you all the luck in the world!!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I could place both cats in the basement because there is enough space for the both of them not to clash. And if I remove some stuff, even better.

Yes, I'm assuming once the breeder says she doesn't want the dog back, then I can rehome her.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most breeders like to find new homes for their dogs themselves. They usually have a list of homes that are looking for older dogs/dogs that aren't little tiny puppies. So they tend to ask their dogs come back to them so they know they're putting these dogs in a new and better situation. Goal being to have a dog that doesn't end up in a shelter and to have the best hope for a great placement the second time around.

Honestly if you don't have the time to train, its time to consider rehoming. A dog like that will become dangerous if not given proper training. Dogs that lunge at cats are acting on prey drive. Since she hasn't been taught self control, she could seriously hurt them if she and them ever end up in the same space accidentally. The bigger she gets the harder it will be for you or anyone else to train her properly. She sounds like a dog that needs a ton more exercise, training, and attention than you're able to give her at the moment.

Rehoming a pet is never easy. I had to give a cat back to the shelter last summer, but in the end I had to admit that he was causing my oldest kitty too much stress and it wasn't fair to my other pets to keep the newest one even though I loved him. He is in a great new home now where he is a spoiled only kitty.

There is one easy training exercise to help with self control to try if your still intent on making this work. This is by no means a fix all or something to replace further behavior modification, months of training, and very hard work. To start hold a treat in your open palm. When she goes for it, you shut it in your fist tight and don't give it up for anything. Most dogs will lick or chew on your hand when you do this. If she hurts you, the game stops immediately. She does not get the treat, and she goes in time out/away from all social interaction for at least five or ten minutes. You don't need to yell or anything if she does. Just calmly and quietly put her away, no words, no petting, no interaction. This makes it clear the behavior is not okay. As long as all she's doing is licking, you wait for her to stop and back off. As long as that takes (stubborn dogs that get their way more often than not may take a very long time to stop). When they are no longer going after the treat, you open your hand again. If they go for the treat you close it and start again. If they don't, you pick it up with your OTHER HAND (very important) and give it to them (still not letting them snatch at it or anything or you put it back in your fist and start again).

Any dog can learn self control this way, its a matter of being more stubborn than they are. I play this game at work with a foster dog who previously bit me badly (urgent care visit) and he has grown so much as a result of this game (and also a huge amount of intensive training, and an e collar). I see a lot of similarities between him and your pup, which is why I think training at this stage is so important before she becomes like him and is a dog that needs a home with zero other dogs, zero cats, and no small children.

It sounds like she just may not be a good fit for your home/lifestyle/family unit right now. But if you do want things to work she needs dedicated training time. Minimum of 15 minutes in the morning and 15 at night every single day. Plus at least an hour of exercise a day. A brisk walk at a quick pace, a long game of ball (make sure you don't throw balls for her till she is calm and quiet, this again helps with self control), intensive play with other dogs, something to get her crazies out. She really needs to get to training classes if not one on one work with a trainer.

Sorry if this sounds too blunt, but as someone who cares for dogs to make a living and rehabilitates fosters to get them into perfect homes, I have seen a lot of the worst case scenarios. Puppies can become the worst case extremely quickly without people realizing things are headed that way. I want to make sure that she is set up for success and doesn't end up (god forbid) killing a cat, or seriously harming someone by biting or knocking them down. And I want to set you up so that you have pets that enrich your life and bring you all the happiness you deserve as well as a peaceful household.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for trying to help. I will take what you said into consideration.

Unfortunately, she doesn't do well with long sessions of exercise (anything intense over half an hour). Which is something the breeder told me. She also said her dogs don't do well in the summer because of the heat so I have to be careful of that too. She's not a super energetic bulldog but she does have a lively personality.

I've been trying to use a flirt pole type technique to help with her impulse. It's important to mention though that she chases the cats but her body language and intent is more of a playful nature. She just doesn't know her size and doesn't know that she could potentially hurt them. When she's chased them and stops, she gets low to the ground and runs in circles. As they are slapping her, she grabs for their paws gently (as she would playing with another dog). And when her advances are not well received, she will whimper and cry. She also has pretty good bit inhabition because she was with her siblings for longer than usual before we got her. But of course sometimes, she can get out of hand.

She will be 10 months soon and I plan on starting her with some weight training to get her ready for carting in the summer. Hopefully it doesn't exhaust her too much with the heat and all.

I don't want this thread to become mainly about the dog so I will stop here. My mom and I started cleaning the basement and rearranging things last night. Will finish today and move the cats down there and then start working on the dog.