Feliways:do They Really Help???

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok.I need any one that has had experienced using the Feliways for their cat.Need their input.Do you they really work??Or work maybe alittle.I got some but haven't had them that long.ADVICE.WHAT DO YA THINK. IS FELIWAYS A YES OR NO.I want ANYONES input PLEASE.I am using them hopefully for stress relief for my cat that has had a flareup few weeks back of herpes virus.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feliways may or may not work - as is the case with all calming products. Not all of them work on all cats. I have heard both ways on this site about Feliway. There are ton of calming products to try, just do a search on the internet for 'cat calming products'. One other one I know of is Bach Rescue Remedy which are drops to rub into a cat's ear - many use them before a vet trip. The duration of how long they last - I don't know.

You can also try chamomile tea bags (grocery store type, no additives) and add about 1/2 teaspoon of the brewed tea, after cooling it, to a bit of water and see if your cat will drink it. It also has calming affects.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did not see results with mine so I've only tried it once. I'd probably need more diffusers- it's just not cost-effective for me. A lot of people swear by them though. A lot of people in rescue say they do use them. I just find that making other environmental changes is preferable to the expense.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had cats that Feliway worked wonders on and others not phased by it. I will say I think a lot of people expect immediate results. It takes time for stuff like that to work.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that was diagnosed with FHV-1 as a kitten (via PCR testing), and I remember when I brought her home from the rescue, I had used the spray form of Feliway (Comfort Zone) on her carrier and on her bedding at home, but I never saw any effect on her when she was going through a bout of herpes virus. She still had to go through the process of an outbreak when the herpes flared up, Feliway or not. I think the best thing is to have regular, reliable patterns of feed times for the cat, play times, sleep times for you, and make sure your own demeanor is calming and understandable to the cat. That really helps deflect any stressors in the environment, if they can understand certain "safe" patterns around them.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It works for some cats but not others. You also need to give it time to work, it can take anywhere from a week to up to a month to start seeing results. It's more common for temporary use too, like settling in to a new home, new schedule, or adjusting to a new house member. I also know some people use a combo of diffusers and sprays.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Feliway with my cats and have found it quite useful. I regularly use the MultiCat formula (diffuser) in my 5 cat household. I have given both the Classic and MultiCat formulas to friends/ adopters of our rescue cats and most have reported that using Feliway made a difference. In the past I used Feliway by Comfort Zone, but once Comfort Zone lost the right to use the Feliway formula, I switched to Feliway by Ceva. Please note that there 2 formulas, Classic (calming) and MultiCat (to keep the peace in mutlicat homes) As others have noted it takes up to a week to become effective.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It worked wonders for my cats when we moved. Helped them settle down and sleep after a full day of being restless.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... when I brought her home from the rescue, I had used the spray form of Feliway (Comfort Zone) on her carrier and on her bedding at home, ...
... In the past I used Feliway by Comfort Zone, but once Comfort Zone lost the right to use the Feliway formula, I switched to Feliway by Ceva. ...
I guess that dates my cat's age! She just turned 4. :bigeyes:

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it worked on our feral, but it doesn't work noticeably on HK. our vet's office always has them plugged in in the exam rooms, and they feel it works on enough cats to make it worth having them there.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I won't say that the product does not work, as I am not criticizing it as such. For my cats, it was completely ineffective and I had more than one around the house.