Feliway plug in question.

sharon hall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are supposed to replace the diffuser units every few months (the package says every 6 months).  The chemicals being diffused build up on the diffuser.  Replace the diffusers.

futoncat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This has never happened to me before, and you clearly did the right thing by unplugging it.  Sounds as though you had a major fire hazard there.  Get your money back.

primal cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can't I just wash the diffuser with soap and water, maybe scrub it? It should dry out after a while before being plugged in again... maybe a few days to be sure. Any reason this won't work? I haven't used my diffuser more than two months so far.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Can't I just wash the diffuser with soap and water, maybe scrub it? It should dry out after a while before being plugged in again... maybe a few days to be sure. Any reason this won't work? I haven't used my diffuser more than two months so far.
Since it's an electrical gadget, water will wreck it, and it would probably short circuit when you plugged it in.

Bluangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, here it is in January of 2022, and all my Feliway diffusers have that acrid, burning plastic smell coming from it. I have three spread out around my house and they all have this smell, so obviously the Feliway people haven’t addressed the issue. I would really like to know if this is just the scent of the pheromones or is it an issue with the diffuser malfunctioning? Trying to make my cats feel a little calmer isn’t really worth my house burning down.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I personally don’t trust any “plug-ins”….I’m always afraid of fires starting. There’s a lot of them that over heat….Have you tried the sprays? I tried Feliway a few years ago (spray) and I didn’t see it help my cats..