Feliway plug in question.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I orderd & got a refil for my Feliway defuser. I've never been able to smell it before, but last night I could actually smell something, but it sort of smelled like burning plastic, so I unplugged it. I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience before?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No it stoped as soon as I took it out. I am going to try it again tonight, I also have anohter refill bottle I'll try. Hopefully I can return it the bottle is defective. I hope it's not the defuser, I don't want to have to buy a new one.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could always smell our Feliway diffuser, and it wasn't defective -- I just have a highly developed sense of smell. I couldn't smell the pheromones, of course, but I could smell a sort of plasticky scent: not quite burning or melting plastic, but very close to it. My boyfriend couldn't smell it, and I did find with time that the smell went away (although whether this is because the scent actually faded or because my nose got used to it, I don't know).

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I hope it is not your electrical system! Does it do the same thing in a different outlet? Maybe there is something wrong with it that you could easily find with a volt-ohmmeter. That is, if there is another one around you could comapre it to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will try it in a differnt outlet. It's weird because I could never smell it in the old appartment. I've used fans & the like in that same outlet. I haven't had the Feliway pluged in, but I want it because we are having little tiffs all the time. In the past when that happend I would use the Feliway and it would reduce the number & intensity of kitty arguments.

ginger withall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same experience. I plugged in the diffuser and after three hours the top of the plastic globe started to burn. It got brown and hot and I had to unplug it. I want to contact the company to report that I almost had a fire.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had that problem too with a different brand so I emptied my airwick oil burner and washed it out really good and was able to pour the comfort oil into it and use it .

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just purchased a new diffuser from Amazon. Have attempted twice to keep it plugged in. Burning plastic smell both times. Bought it from the Feliway company. Will definitely return it..

uclababe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just bought two comfort zone diffusers at the pet store the other day and I have one plugged into living room and one into bedroom and both have a burning smell which I didn't think was safe so I just unplugged them.  Glad to know I am not the only one.  If so many people are having problems and some of these posts seem to be from quite a while ago, what the heck is going on?  Glad to see someone just posted it this month too.

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine just started smelling plasticky after 1 year or so. I unplugged it and plugged it in again but it smelt the same. I just gave up and went out to buy a new diffuser. I think someone said it should be replaced every 6 months to a year I think

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had the same issue. My thought was that they get a build up from the liquid being diffused. They also collect airborne dust; which will stick to the oils and build up.

I decided against purchasing a new diffuser; since the feliway wasn't causing a noticeable change. (I also didn't have the recommended number going; I only have 1 outlet I can use it in.)

moxie99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I bought my first Feliway diffuser about a month ago. It's the Comfort Zone model. I noticed the Feliway diffuser has a different shape than the Comfort Zone one, there isn't a kind of vent pattern at the top, it looks more like a hood. When I first plugged in my Comfort Zone diffuser, it did smell like hot (not burning) plastic. I plugged it into different outlets which obviously wasn't the problem and as it was brand new I thought maybe that smell would fade. I had actually read of cases wherein people's caught fire so I was super paranoid but just moved with 3 cats into a new house with a dog and I felt it would help. It DID help! Very noticeably with my scaredy cat. Makes them all super chill ;)

The original bottle wasn't a month supply and ran out really fast (too fast?) but the smell was never unbearable (and I sit near it). So I ordered a larger refill but by the Feliway brand itself (purple label on bottle), not a refill for Comfort Zone with Feliway because it's the same thing! When it arrived it noted: "for new model of Feliway diffuser" but the shape and reed height were exactly the same so I screwed it in and within a minute it smelled BAD. It always ran really hot but seemed like it was actually starting to burn this time. The company I purchase all my pet stuff from was nice enough to refund my money. Then I ordered the refill from Comfort Zone, a 2-pack. I've had it plugged in all day now and the smell is still pretty noxious, the unit is really hot to the touch and there's moisture beading up. I don't think I can put up with the smell and I'm afraid it's going to actually burn when I'm not home! It's frustrating because even my vet uses them in the rooms and she's never smelled the hot/burning plastic smell, I asked. Frustrated I also purchased the spray which is helpful because you can spot treat, like where a kitty has been peeing over and over (i.e. the furry rug next to my bed) to keep them from repeating the bad behavior. Also great for spraying in the carriers when you travel. It really does have a positive effect on my kitties (more so in two in particular). I really wanted this to work but I'm afraid I'm also going to return these refill bottles by Comfort Zone as well, I can't take the smell or paranoia that it's going to burn my house down.

I wanted to see if anyone has done further research on this issue and/or contacted the companies directly? (I'm guessing Feliway and Comfort Zone with Feliway share Customer Service? Curious.)

And if anyone who's tried to put it in a Glade (etc.) scent diffuser has it still successfully working...

It's strange that when Googling this it seems to be a common issue and yet both companies continue to sell the same products.

wendalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am on my second bottle of Feliway as used in the diffuser. The first one was the box that has the diffuser and the bottle of the liquid. After I had been using it for awhile, I noticed that I really LIKED the smell of it.  I don't know what it is—it does smell sort of like "burning something," maybe very hot metal. I got to like it more and more as time went on. I began to think "I'm always going to use this, whether I have a cat or not!"  I have one of those VERY sensitive noses, always have. I'm always smelled a lot more of what's around than most other people I am with. That is very often not a good thing!! 

Anyway, eventually the smell got weaker and I checked the bottle and it was mostly gone. I missed the smell.  I bought a refill bottle and plugged it in. Soon I began to smell that happy smell again!!   And the funny thing was that I began to feel more happy and motivated and my cat seemed to feel better, too. And I felt better about my cat.

That was a couple of days ago. I got online today to see if anyone else was talking about the smell of Feliway.  And all I find out is that people think it smells like burning plastic and that means there is something wrong with it.  I can't imagine that something that smells so nice is happening because of some malfunction!!

It the "Feliway" brand and says "Ceva" on the plastic hood.   I bought the first box and the refill in my local pet store.

Does this mean I have some feline genes?

Last edited:

anne3007

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A few weeks ago I also received the new model. I just threw the old diffuser away - because they said the new refillers could not be used in the old diffuser.
However, within a few weeks, I read on the internet there were complaints about the new diffuser and they would not sell the new diffuser again, so now they only sell the old diffuser with the old refillers.
I myself didn't have complaints about the new diffuser, but I contacted Feliway because everyone who bought the new diffuser, could get a new diffuser , but then the old model of course.

I did receive the old version diffuser incl refiller and it works fine for me. It feels kinda warm, more than the new diffuser I had, but apparently this old model seems to be safer.

Does anyone has experience with this other brand, called Pet Cura Cat Relax? I saw an advertisement in a cat magazine and I was wondering if someone ever bought this. There is no price difference as far as I know.

zookeeper67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The smell will pass, it happens when they are plugged with a  new refill.

zookeeper67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is a plug in that warms a special chemical that makes cats calm. It also can help with marking on furniture.