Feliway diffuser?

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m wondering if anyone has used the fliway diffuser and if you recommend it or not. I am moving to a new apartment in a few days with a friend who also has a cat (I have 2). My friends cat has been staying with me so that I could slowly introduce them. They are doing a lot better and now can be in the same room for hours without hissing at all. The only problem is that now that she is not scared anymore, she has been a little aggressive with them. I cant tell if she’s just playing rough or not, there is no hissing or growling but it seems to be a lot for playing. I was wondering if a diffuser would be good for when I first move to try to keep them a little more calm. I will probably continue to separate them for the first few days until everyone seems more comfortable and I will most likely keep them separated when nobody is home until I am completely comfortable with them being alone together. I have seen some mixed reviews for the diffuser so I’m not sure if it’s a good idea. I want to make the move as least stressful for them as possible so any suggestions would be great :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, neither feliway or one of the other plugins worked for my boy, but that's not to say it might be just the ticket for your sweetheart. Some members have had good luck with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, neither feliway or one of the other plugins worked for my boy, but that's not to say it might be just the ticket for your sweetheart. Some members have had good luck with them.
Thank you! I would be fine if it didn’t do anything, I’m just not sure because I saw a review where someone said their cat seemed to be off and have less personality when it was used, I definitely don’t want to do that to them

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never personally used a Feliway diffuser but I've heard pros and cons. Here are some threads that might be helpful for you:
Reactions to Feliway
Feliway Diffuser
Best of luck with the move and the cats, please keep us updated on how it works out. :crossfingers:
Thank you! I think I’ll see how they are without it at first just incase, I’m so scared of them having a bad reaction. If they seem really anxious I’ll buy one. I will post an update with how they’re doing! :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The Optimum version of Feliway is the only one that ever seemed to help with anxiety or stress between cats. However, I would not rule out possible reactions just because I did not have any.

I did put it only in larger rooms. Putting it in a bathroom with a cat and closing the door would make it possibly too concentrated.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used the Feliway plug in, periodically. Reminds me, I should probably use it again.
It sometimes helps.. not always but sometimes. I think it is worth a try.

Also, Rescue Remedy for pets, added to water, or food does seem to help calm kitties.. and Jackson Galaxy's stuff--expensive, but kind of helped Geoffrey.

Good Luck!!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve used Feliway off and on since 2008–both the Classic and the Multicat—and it’s helped a great deal. The first time was at the recommendation of my vet. But it seems to be like catnip: Some cats are susceptible to it and some aren’t. I haven’t tried the new Optimum since I haven’t had any issues lately, but I’d definitely try it something came up with the cats.

I also use the Feliway spray in their carriers before I take them to the vet for calming purposes, and it’s also worked wonders in keeping Mocha from scratching where she shouldn’t.

Last edited:

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to post a little update! I decided not to get the diffuser at least at first because I was scared of a reaction. 2 of the cats are doing fine, one of them is so scared that he’s hissing at everyone (including me and I’m his favorite person) If he isn’t doing at least a little better tomorrow I’m going to try out the diffuser. I’ve never see him this scared before

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If he isn’t doing at least a little better tomorrow I’m going to try out the diffuser. I’ve never see him this scared before
Please let us know if you decide to use the diffuser and whether or not it helps him. Fingers crossed for both of you. :crossfingers:

My friends cat has been staying with me so that I could slowly introduce them.
I went back to read your initial post and it dawned on me - is your friend in the apartment with their cat now? If not, this could be a possible reason for the hissing. Or maybe the additional person as well as their cat is upsetting him. :dunno:

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m wondering if anyone has used the fliway diffuser and if you recommend it or not. I am moving to a new apartment in a few days with a friend who also has a cat (I have 2). My friends cat has been staying with me so that I could slowly introduce them. They are doing a lot better and now can be in the same room for hours without hissing at all. The only problem is that now that she is not scared anymore, she has been a little aggressive with them. I cant tell if she’s just playing rough or not, there is no hissing or growling but it seems to be a lot for playing. I was wondering if a diffuser would be good for when I first move to try to keep them a little more calm. I will probably continue to separate them for the first few days until everyone seems more comfortable and I will most likely keep them separated when nobody is home until I am completely comfortable with them being alone together. I have seen some mixed reviews for the diffuser so I’m not sure if it’s a good idea. I want to make the move as least stressful for them as possible so any suggestions would be great :)
I have another update! It took a few days for them to fully feel comfortable but they are doing so good! My friends cat has warmed up to my cats so much faster here than she did before we moved. They’re having so much fun playing together. They have a lot of room to run around and a lot of new toys and they seem very happy :)

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please let us know if you decide to use the diffuser and whether or not it helps him. Fingers crossed for both of you. :crossfingers:

I went back to read your initial post and it dawned on me - is your friend in the apartment with their cat now? If not, this could be a possible reason for the hissing. Or maybe the additional person as well as their cat is upsetting him. :dunno:
Sorry, I didn’t even see this comment until now! My cats had met my friend many times before moving, I’m not sure exactly why he was so scared but he is doing so well now :) all of the cats are having so much fun together

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad it’s all working out! My vet suggested a Feliway diffuser in case stress is part of Daisy’s constipation problem (I don’t think it is ... snoozing on my bed or on my lap all day doesn’t suggest stress to me, lol). I’ve used them before and have it in now but have noticed no difference in her or Phoebe’s behaviour. Didn’t with my previous cat, Maddie, either.