Feliway diffuser and stomach discomfort

Patty331

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I adopted a new cat 4 years ago after one of my older cats passed away. The other cat I had was 8 years old at the time I adopted the new 6 month old cat. The older cat didn't like the new one. A coworker suggested a Feliway diffuser for calming, so I purchased one. My older cat started having loose stools. I didn't contribute this to the diffuser at the time. I took the cat to the vet and they did all kinds of testing, but couldn't find anything wrong. I used the diffuse for over a year. Cat had loose stools the whole time. Poor cat. No other heath issues. I stopped using the diffuser and stools went back to normal. I then realized it was the diffuser! My question is, did anyone else experience similar issues?

My cats seem to not be getting along again. Not sure why. I want to try the diffuser again, but don't want to give the one cat stomach issues again. Any advice? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's funny you post this. Last Friday I started Feliway for my girl b/c I'm working on de-attaching myself from her feeding process and in the past when I've made changes to her routine I've used Feliway thinking it helped. Anyway the following day she had a bizarre output in the litterbox.

Normal for her is two pees and 1 poop. That day she did 4 pees (2 normal, 2 smaller) and 3 normal poops. The poops were pretty consistent with what she's been doing the past month (I have detailed notes/photos b/c we're in a state of routine change/stabilization) though they did get slightly more pliable but definitely not loose. In data that goes back nine months she's never had an output like this and there have been a few bouts of Feliway. So was it Feliway triggering her or just her tummy or something else? Not sure...the inputs seemed normal. Her output has normalized a bit but want to give this a few more days before I call it "normal" and go back to working on the routine change.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the diffuser located close to where your older cat either eats/drinks or lounges? I'm wondering if the Feliway oils are being ingested, whether by eating or drinking from a bowl that's too close to the diffuser, or if your cat lounges on something near the diffuser (bedding, a blanket, furniture, etc) and then ingests the oils when bathing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Patty331

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's funny you post this. Last Friday I started Feliway for my girl b/c I'm working on de-attaching myself from her feeding process and in the past when I've made changes to her routine I've used Feliway thinking it helped. Anyway the following day she had a bizarre output in the litterbox.

Normal for her is two pees and 1 poop. That day she did 4 pees (2 normal, 2 smaller) and 3 normal poops. The poops were pretty consistent with what she's been doing the past month (I have detailed notes/photos b/c we're in a state of routine change/stabilization) though they did get slightly more pliable but definitely not loose. In data that goes back nine months she's never had an output like this and there have been a few bouts of Feliway. So was it Feliway triggering her or just her tummy or something else? Not sure...the inputs seemed normal. Her output has normalized a bit but want to give this a few more days before I call it "normal" and go back to working on the routine change.
Thank you for your input!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Patty331

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the diffuser located close to where your older cat either eats/drinks or lounges? I'm wondering if the Feliway oils are being ingested, whether by eating or drinking from a bowl that's too close to the diffuser, or if your cat lounges on something near the diffuser (bedding, a blanket, furniture, etc) and then ingests the oils when bathing.
Hmmm. Interesting you say that. It was located near the food and water bowls. Around the corner of the wall. Maybe I'll try a different location and see if that makes a difference. Thank you for your input!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Feliway diffusers are honestly crap. I had one burn up in the outlet and had to replace the outlet because it melted into it.

it also left greasy streaks up the wall.

I only use the spray on stuff now. Or the collars.