Feliway And Other Calming Methods

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about Feliway or other products to calm cats. I'm doing my best to socialize and tame a semi-feral litter, and it's to the point they will all approach me for food, allow me to pet them at least a little while eating, and will engage in play with toys with me and four other socialization helper friends. However, they are also still fairly hissy babies, and three of the five still flinch back from petting when they realize it's me, even if they come right back for the food two seconds later.

Considering that they are getting older and I'm seeing slower progress, I was thinking about adding something to help calm them down a bit. Feliway is of course a well known name, but I've seen some people claim it's nothing but placebo effect. I know there are other options out there too, but I know even less about them. I think at almost three months, so they may be too young to react to some things, but I thought I'd throw the question out there and see what answers I get.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used Feliway plug-in in the past and didnt see any difference. I currently have Kalm Aid plug-in and again dont see any difference. However, I use Feliway spray in the cat carrier when I take them to the vets and they do appear to be calmer.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use it in a multi cat household and I am never without it. It makes a huge difference in my house.

I have also used Jackson Galaxy's Feral Flower for help with working with feral/stray/semi feral cats.

Here is a great video series on working with a feral cat litter. It has some great ideas. It's a 3 part video series that starts with the rescue of the mom and kittens. So keep watching or fast forward to the part where they work with the kittens.

Tough Love Video - UrbanCatLeague