Feline Pos Cat Diet

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My new kitty tested positive at the shelter for feline leukemia. I was recommended to retest in two months to see if he was still positive. There was hope the test was wrong or that he might develope anti bodies. His blood work before I picked him up showed a high white cell count, but last night the vet said his lymph glands were swollen.

I want to give him the best diet. I was thinking of supplementing his primary wet and minimal dry with boiled chicken, small portions of liver etc? He had a primarily dry diet in the shelter. I have had him two weeks.

Any thoughts? The dry is grain free I only leave a little out in the day, he doesn't eat it much. He prefers wet and saucy not pâté. He does often lick his lips and dance about when I make human food, especially ground beef.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Boiled chicken, etc is ok but only as less than 10% of the diet or you risk unbalancing your cat's diet. If you would like it to be a bigger part of the diet, you need to supplement the meat in some way. There's a forum here on TCS on how to make homecooked diets and recipes: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food The easiest way most people find to make a homecooked diet is to buy a pre-mix such as EZComplete and add it to plain cooked meat (no liver or other organs or bone).

Too much liver can cause vitamin A toxicity so limit how much liver you give to your cat.

If your cat doesn't eat the dry food, I wouldn't bother feeding it. You can leave canned food out in a programmable timed feeder for a snack.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!
I am in Europe so not sure I can find the mixes. A timed feeder may be possible. I planned to only give a little liver. I want to jump start the diet improvement, his blood work showed liver problems but I was told that was probably due to poor diet. Otherwise, his blood work was good.
So I am thinking not just the best quality wet food I can find but what I can buy in the human section that may be good for him. I gave him an egg yolk, he ate a little but was not crazy about it.
I was reading a few old threads here and people mentioned minced rabbit. I gave him canned rabbit pate for cats but he was not keen on the pate form. I can buy ground rabbit here, like ground beef, I was thinking of buying a pack, making bunny burgers in small portions and freezing them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TCFeline is sold in Europe through these suppliers: TCPremix® - Resources TCFeline is manly for raw meat but it can be used for cooked meat: Cooked Meat

You can also buy whole cuts of raw meat and chop it yourself into small pieces. Then form the "burgers" and freeze.

Raw gizzards, hearts, and bone are good for treats and dental health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, will look for it!
Yep, that is what I was going to do, make the bunny burgers and freeze them. I figured as I can buy ground rabbit, it is close to what his natural diet would be, more so than beef. Though he does drool over ground beef:)