Feline parvo

Mgilbert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have heard so many things about it I don't know what to believe. Some say it's fragile and others say it's not. I had a kitten that supposedly had it. Now I am paranoid about spreading it.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So is the kitten all better now? and was it sick when you had it? The virus can stick around in the environment for months, but bleach does kill it. Make sure you wash everything the cat touched while sick with bleach, litter box, toys, bedding, as well as wash the floors and lower walls.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, welcome to the cat site! I honestly didn't know cats could get parvo. I looked it up and apparently they do! Also known as feline distemper but , it sounds a lot like what dogs get and just as hard to get rid of. I found this link and it seems to cover it pretty thoroughly. Can Cats Get Parvo Virus? - Cat Kingpin Hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mgilbert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten passed away. It was exposed to a sick kitten. I don't know if it was properly diagnosed. Thanks for your replies.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry for your loss. All data I have read about it says it can stay in the environment for as long as a year or more. Some data says bleach works and other information says it is not effective enough. All said, the best way to ensure it is not spread is through vaccinating all cats/kittens expected to be in your home in the future, if they have not already been vaccinated. I have also read the full series of boosters should be done to ensure kittens/cats are fully protected, but I have read other information that indicates immunity begins after the first vaccination. You could ask your vet about that aspect, as well as their opinion of the bleach.

I do know it can be transferred from location to location by you - such as on your shoes or clothing. So, that is another consideration to keep in mind.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, welcome to the cat site! I honestly didn't know cats could get parvo. I looked it up and apparently they do! Also known as feline distemper but , it sounds a lot like what dogs get and just as hard to get rid of. I found this link and it seems to cover it pretty thoroughly. Can Cats Get Parvo Virus? - Cat Kingpin Hope this helps!
Panleuk is feline parvo, it’s the P in the FVCRP vaccines that all kittens (should) get.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is often referred to as feline distemper which is a misnomer. It is not distemper it is a parvo or infectious gastritis virus.

Mgilbert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. So sorry for your loss. All data I have read about it says it can stay in the environment for as long as a year or more. Some data says bleach works and other information says it is not effective enough. All said, the best way to ensure it is not spread is through vaccinating all cats/kittens expected to be in your home in the future, if they have not already been vaccinated. I have also read the full series of boosters should be done to ensure kittens/cats are fully protected, but I have read other information that indicates immunity begins after the first vaccination. You could ask your vet about that aspect, as well as their opinion of the bleach.

I do know it can be transferred from location to location by you - such as on your shoes or clothing. So, that is another consideration to keep in mind.

Mgilbert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To tell.you the truth I am afraid to leave the house. I think some things I heard are possibly hype. I am hoping 6 months is long enough for disease to be gone. Thanks for your reply.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The following cleaning routine was offered in a previous post by Jcatbird Jcatbird who has dealt with this disease. Hope this helps and alleviates some of your concerns about possibly spreading it.

"You should get rid of any items that (name removed) used just to be safe. Fabric toys, scratching posts, litter box, food and water dish unless they are stainless steel and can be soaked in bleach and cat bedding especially. Clorox is good but make sure it is thoroughly dried before the other kitties are around it. Soaking things like cat carriers in a bleach solution for twenty minutes is the routine I used when sheltering other cats. Use rubber gloves while cleaning and clothing that can be bleached afterwards. Don’t walk through cleaned areas in the same shoes or clothes worn during cleaning. If possible, bleach shoes or at least the bottom. Don’t forget to clean doorknobs and any place that (name removed) may have liked to hide like the underside of the bed. When you discard the bleach used for cleaning, it is best to flush it down the toilet. If you have a vacuum, then use it but make sure to clean it out by wiping down with bleach too. If it has a vacuum bag then close that bag up in a plastic bag and seal the bag before going into any other area and then discard that bag so that no other cat can get into it. Basically, once you have cleaned every surface then you have eliminated the germs in the best way possible."

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I strongly suggest you get immunizations on all kitties. I believe it can take a bit before the shots are really effective. Check with a vet ahead of bringing in any new kitties. I am so sorry you lost the kitty. I know how hard it is whenever we lose one. :alright:

Mgilbert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I definitely would like to vaccinate them all but the cost is a lot. I have rescued several strays and ferals. I have a hard enough time feeding them. I also have had to deal with several sick cats. Once I think I will be able to get one vaccinated or spayed one gets sick unfortunately. I am still working on it. I tried cleaning most places but my house is so cluttered I cannot get to every area. I am working on that too. Thanks again for replies and compassion.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it takes time and we get things done by degrees. I faced two huge hurdles. One about twelve years ago when the majority of a colony had feline leukemia and then just a couple of years ago when I was in a race against time because of some bad people. I do understand that we have to do a little along as we can. I didn’t have any help at all the first time and only found help this time with some things. I finally went about it another way and started working with the county to start a TNVR program. Do you know if there are any programs where you live? Many places help with some of the vaccinations as well as Spay/neuter. I started by contacting every program I could find. I called, texted, emailed and begged for help for the kitties. 104 cats! I felt overwhelmed a lot of the time. I already had resident cats too! I needed Spay/neuter, vaccinations and to tame ferals for adoption as well as finding homes. I know you can understand how it was. I finally did bring in the last of the colony. It was SUCH a relief to have the end in sight. Don’t give up. What you are doing really counts. We can’t save every feral but Even one life saved is a huge accomplishment. Thank you for what you are doing! If we all save one, there will be no more lost, abandoned of feral kitties. :clap2::goldstar:

Mgilbert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, great job. That's a lot to deal with. Thanks for the comforting words. I did find more information on feline parvo. This is a screenshot so hopefully it can be copied.

Attachments