Feline panleukopenia

Priya26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4month old kitten is suffering from this. He is on antibiotic(azithral), multivitamin and lysine. After getting 5day treatment she was recovering she even ate food himself but two days later that is after 7 days he again started showing symptom like lethargy, dip in stomach while breathing, lack of apetite , throwing out medicine so i again started the treatment but i dont know what more i can do to save him. Doctor has advised to give him the medicine as nothing much can be done. Any suggestions?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry that you are facing this. 5 months is considered to be the critical cut off for survival of young cats with this condition. Certainly I am not saying that your kitten won't get better, but that he is at a very crucial point. As panleuk is a virus, there is not a direct treatment so antibiotics are given as your vet has done. Given his young age, you need to stay in close contact with the vet. Find out if your kitten needs fluids or an appetite stimulant. I agree with your vet that the medicine should be continued as that is all that really might help. There are no alternative remedies for this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Priya26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. Thankyou for your words of comfort. I really want to know what are the most common symptoms of panleukopenia?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is a parvo type virus. Things like vomiting and diarrhea are common.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is absolutely necessary to get some fluids into him. I would bring him to the vet that knows about his condition and give him fluids subcutaneously. Then take a clean medicine dropper and give him small amounts of water in his cheek several times a day. Keep him very warm too for comfort. You could also try to give him lickable treats in the dropper, anything to keep him going. This is a HORRIBLE disease. I'll pray for your little boy.....

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea, suggestion is to get with the facebook panluek site, they have tons of experience dealing with this and can assist.

I lost one a few months ago to it. She was a seven year old, vaccinated cat, but had FIV. Have no idea how it got in my home at such a viral load.