Feline Natural Canned Food

izabella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for this informative thread on Feline Natural food.
I was wondering if anyone whose cats eat this food regularly have had those cats experience constipation issues? Does anyone know if Feline Natural has a high(er) bone content than other canned foods? We've only tried the Chicken and Lamb so far.

izabella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I still haven't found out if the phospherous levels in feline natural canned foods are acceptable to cats with CKD. The highest is 0.4% and the lowest is 0.27% Can anyone here help me out please?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still haven't found out if the phospherous levels in feline natural canned foods are acceptable to cats with CKD. The highest is 0.4% and the lowest is 0.27% Can anyone here help me out please?
Those numbers are low enough that they sound like they're the "as fed" figures on the can (or company Web site), is that right? You'd need to calculate out the dry matter levels of phosphorous in the food to make a real comparison. Here's an online calculator that makes that (relatively) easy.

Tanya's site, which duckpond duckpond mentioned, is very useful for getting a sense of how to feed a CKD cat. I used it when we had a CKD cat with early-stage disease; I fed her the lowest-possible levels of phosphorous possible ("possible" meaning foods she would eat) and tried to keep her dry matter levels under 1% whenever possible. Weruva is a great brand for CKD cats because their phosphorous tends to be low.

Good luck -- I know feeding CKD cats can be quite a challenge.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a link to the food chart at the site mentioned by duckpond duckpond : Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA

According to it, all the Feline Natural products are > 1% phosphorus on a dry matter basis. I believe, but you should check, that anything over 1% is considered too high for a CKD kitty.

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I see this is an older thread, but I’m wondering how your cats’ health has been over the years if still feeding them the Feline Natural canned food?

I’ve never fed my cat food with fish as a prominent ingredient for a long time, because of concerns over contamination—am curious if any of your cats developed an allergic reaction or anything to fish from the FN brand after years of eating it? I truly hope not, but would be helpful to hear about!

I recently transitioned my boy to this brand of canned food, after he was hospitalized for severe acute gastroenteritis, was in bad shape. Thought I was going to lose him 😢

Up until this illness, he was on a raw diet for years without issues, and it wasn’t determined 100% that his illness was caused by raw food. For now though I am following dr orders and keeping him on a commercial canned food diet. Feline Natural seems to have the cleanest uncomplicated ingredients I could find in canned, so far he loves the two flavors tried, Chicken Feast and Beef/Hoki.

Side note, after hospitalization, the doctors put him on the prescription wet food Hills i/d for digestive issues. It did get him to start eating again and for that I’m thankful, but his digestive system wasn’t doing well with that food, had poo issues. We thought it meant the antibiotics weren’t working. It turns out it was one or more of the ingredients in the Hills food that caused his post-hospital digestive issues for weeks. It all cleared up when he transitioned to Feline Natural.

Sharing this info also because am not seeing as many user reviews about Feline Natural brand, I think it’s harder to find in US pet stores or not as popular. I live in a big city and could only find it in one out of the five stores checked with. Grateful for Chewy, they are a great source for it.

Anyway, this is a long post, sorry—I just hope to hear good feedback about your experiences with this brand of canned food! Trying to stay away from carrageenan, gums, many carbs, etc, same as many of you I’m sure.

Thank you cat community for reading this.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
misterginja misterginja
I have not tried this food but am outside the US. It looks a good food but as this is an old thread, you may get more replies If you start a new thread.

If your cat does well on this brand, I would continue with it and maybe try to add one other brand to his diet so not reliant on only one.

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
misterginja misterginja
I have not tried this food but am outside the US. It looks a good food but as this is an old thread, you may get more replies If you start a new thread.

If your cat does well on this brand, I would continue with it and maybe try to add one other brand to his diet so not reliant on only one.
Thanks for your advice, appreciate it!