Feline Natural Canned Food

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. I don't like any fish because of toxins. Can you tell me what you feed ur kitties? I have never rotated and am not sure how to start. Right now I give them hound and Gatos rabbit, chicken and lamb. I hope this is a good food with the new cannery and everything, then I will give occasionally FN lamb and chicken and I may try Fromm canned? Your thoughts on Fromm canned? Thanks.
They use NZ Hoki fish and salmon. Hoki is supposedly supposed to have less issues with contamination. I've fed both the lamb/salmon and beef/hoki. I don't really have an issue feeding it in rotation, but I'm probably not repurchasing either of those just because my cats aren't that excited about beef anymore, and don't really love lamb either. I feed mostly raw, I keep FN around as a snack. I don't know much about Fromm. Feeding rotation is easy. You just feed different foods AM and PM, or do one food for one week, another food for another week. I think daily rotation is better, personally. If i fed canned I would rotate at least 4 flavors/brands. 

Last edited:

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input. When feeding raw do you make your own supplements or get a premix? All our vets here shutter when they hear raw food. What is your experience with cooking chicken thighs and liver then use a premix at each serving with warm water? Anyone any thoughts? I can't really find a canned food that is good out there? I won't feed friskies or Sheba as one got sick on sh ba and one cannot tolerate rice?

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input. When feeding raw do you make your own supplements or get a premix? All our vets here shutter when they hear raw food. What is your experience with cooking chicken thighs and liver then use a premix at each serving with warm water? Anyone any thoughts? I can't really find a canned food that is good out there? I won't feed friskies or Sheba as one got sick on sh ba and one cannot tolerate rice?
I use EZcomplete, alnutrin with eggshell calcium, and alnutrin for meat and bone. I use different pre-mixes for different meats, or for different cats. My vet is pro-raw, but there are a lot that aren't. I think homecooking is way better than canned, and it's a good step towards raw for those that aren't really comfortable with raw yet. EZcomplete you can use with cooked, or alnutrin with eggshell. You don't need liver for EZcomplete. I don't give my cats anything with rice in it, cats can't digest rice. 

I think the best foods for canned are Feline Naturals and Ziwipeak 

Freeze dried raw like Primal, Stella and Chewy, Northwest Naturals, Fresh is Best

Commercial raw like Rad Cat

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I contacted FN to ask for dry matter protein, fat and carb and they informed me that their ingr didn't list is under watch dog key and lock and cannot disclose that? I asked for them to confirm my own calculations of 22% carbs based on their can percentages. I used Dr Pierson equation adding everything up and guessing on ash content and in last step took 4.07% divide by 17.7 and came up with 22%. I have asked for them to at least verify that let's see. I will research you mixes, thanks again!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I contacted FN to ask for dry matter protein, fat and carb and they informed me that their ingr didn't list is under watch dog key and lock and cannot disclose that? I asked for them to confirm my own calculations of 22% carbs based on their can percentages. I used Dr Pierson equation adding everything up and guessing on ash content and in last step took 4.07% divide by 17.7 and came up with 22%. I have asked for them to at least verify that let's see. I will research you mixes, thanks again!
There's no way the carbs are 22%. There isn't anything in the food to drive the carb content up that much. I used the carb calculator based on the info on their website and guessed 2% for ash and I got under 1% carbs, which sounds accurate. 

http://fnae.org/carbcalorie.html

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Chicken & Lamb Feast seems to be higher in calories from carbs (~26 out of ~93 calories in 100 g of food).  I didn't plug in a value for ash, however, which would lower this value slightly.

@missmimz  I do agree with you though... I'm not sure what ingredients are contributing the carbs.  I don't feed this food so I haven't done much research into it.  It might just be that the data we have from the can/website is not close enough to the actual values to get an accurate estimate.

Last edited:

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so very much!!! I may not continue use with this food anyway. I am researching home cooked food right now so will stick to hound and Gatos only because I don't want to upset their stomachs again until I get enough info I need to make my own food for them. Anyone with any suggestions.

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are right. Thanks for checking for me. This is the response I got from K9"
We can confirm that there are absolutely no carbohydrates in any of our Feline Natural products. For a cat's optimum nutrition as an obligate carnivore, our recipes are made up of over 99% meat, blood, bone and offal, with the last of our recipe made up from green-lipped mussels and essential nutrients."
Thanks everyone!

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are right. Thanks for checking for me. This is the response I got from K9"
We can confirm that there are absolutely no carbohydrates in any of our Feline Natural products. For a cat's optimum nutrition as an obligate carnivore, our recipes are made up of over 99% meat, blood, bone and offal, with the last of our recipe made up from green-lipped mussels and essential nutrients."
Thanks everyone!
So while not it is not possible to have "absolutely no carbohydrates" (the only food group which is free of carbohydrates is fats and oils), it is great to hear that Feline Natural is low in carbohydrates.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't feed the FN chicken and lamb exclusively, just because it is rather low in protein and calories. My only assumption for that is because it's a very soft pate that it does have a lot of water added. I think it's good food though. My cats don't like the changes to ZP so I'm not using that any longer and I'm going to just stick with FN only for their night snack. Mostly sticking with the chicken and venison, chicken and lamb, maybe rotating in the beef too. 

Last edited:

kimberlyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FN has also come out with two new flavors. Beef and Hoki and Lamb and Salmon. My cat likes these and as long as you only feed occasionally then the fish shouldn't be an issue.

I fed my cats FN and their preference is the Hoki (fish) . Why should fish be fed on an occasional basis ?

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I wouldn't feed the FN chicken and lamb exclusively, just because it is rather low in protein and calories. My only assumption for that is because it's a very soft pate that it does have a lot of water added. I think it's good food though. My cats don't like the changes to ZP so I'm not using that any longer and I'm going to just stick with FN only for their night snack. Mostly sticking with the chicken and venison, chicken and lamb, maybe rotating in the beef too. 
Sigh...

I've been feeding ZP Rabbit and Lamb but now I'm afraid to buy an entire case from Chewy only for them to reject it. 

SalsaCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi LisaHE,

I with you on Feline Natural; the food is top quality and to my surprise my brood (3) loves this over Ziwipeak ! I love it because it actually is packed with water and I don't have to add water as I did with Ziwipeak.

I have learned with one boy having PU surgery, it's better for them in the long run to feed them quality food and pay the price rather than pay the price at the vet's or surgery ! It's Pawsome !
Hi, I just purchased Ziwipeak tin cat food after researching online. With the exception of the mackerel and lamb the rest are VERY DRY and I have to rehydrate them as you mention you had to do. It is concerning as the liquid has a lot of nutrition in it and essential for the cats daily moisture intake. What did Ziwipeak do to make such a dry 'wet' product? I will buy some Feline Natural next time. Your post has been very helpful. Thanks

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hadn't heard of this Feline Naturals canned food until today. It sounds really good, although it's too expensive to feed often. I've just ordered one can of each flavor for Charlie to taste test.

What did Ziwipeak do to make such a dry 'wet' product?
I suspect it's because they added chickpeas, which can absorb a lot of water and change the texture overall. It's too bad they had to change it, they were one of the few brands that were nearly all meat.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The addition of chickpeas was such a poor choice on their part. Agar-agar and TSPP didn't bother me that much, to be honest. I know it wasn't perfect food, but in reality you shouldn't feed one brand exclusively anyway. I can still get the old version of the venison at my local pet store and my cats really like it and it's a good backup when I run out of raw, but I'm not even going to bother with the new version.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for this informative thread on Feline Natural food.
I was wondering if anyone whose cats eat this food regularly have had those cats experience constipation issues? Does anyone know if Feline Natural has a high(er) bone content than other canned foods? We've only tried the Chicken and Lamb so far.