Feline Leukemia Virus

Lc92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a sweet 11 month old cat named Lilo. She’s an indoor only cat and has always been extremely healthy. My husband and I recently adopted a new kitten to keep her company, 2 month old stitch. After 3 days with Stitch, we noticed that his eyes were getting swollen and he was sneezing a lot. We decided to take him to the vet where he tested positive for the feline leukemia virus. We immediately separated him from Lilo, cleaned out her entire litter box and bowls. Stitch had his own, but they would get into each other’s things now and again. Today, I noticed that Lilo was less Playful, her left eye was swollen, and she spit up some saliva and was dry heaving. We took her to the vet, and they told us that it was too soon to test her for the leukemia virus due to the fact that she was only recently exposed. Has anyone else been in this situation? How likely is it that Lilo contracted the virus after only a few days of exposure? I’m so heart broken and I’m praying that my sweet babies will be ok. Thank you.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a sweet 11 month old cat named Lilo. She’s an indoor only cat and has always been extremely healthy. My husband and I recently adopted a new kitten to keep her company, 2 month old stitch. After 3 days with Stitch, we noticed that his eyes were getting swollen and he was sneezing a lot. We decided to take him to the vet where he tested positive for the feline leukemia virus. We immediately separated him from Lilo, cleaned out her entire litter box and bowls. Stitch had his own, but they would get into each other’s things now and again. Today, I noticed that Lilo was less Playful, her left eye was swollen, and she spit up some saliva and was dry heaving. We took her to the vet, and they told us that it was too soon to test her for the leukemia virus due to the fact that she was only recently exposed. Has anyone else been in this situation? How likely is it that Lilo contracted the virus after only a few days of exposure? I’m so heart broken and I’m praying that my sweet babies will be ok. Thank you.
Do u have a picture of the kitty with the disease ;that shows his symptoms

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lc92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn’t take any pictures of him when his eyes were swollen. The vet gave me an ointment for his eyes and they’re back to normal. The only symptom he has now is he’s still sneezing.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn’t take any pictures of him when his eyes were swollen. The vet gave me an ointment for his eyes and they’re back to normal. The only symptom he has now is he’s still sneezing.
Hope he continues to get better

Lc92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feline Leukemia Virus
I hope this helps a little with your worry. Did the kitten and Lilo groom each other?
They didn’t groom each other. Lilo kept her distance from him. They did drink from each other’s bowls though and used each other’s litter boxes.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should wait about 2 months to retest the little one and to test Lilo. It's contagious but Lilo still may not have caught it.

Kittens can test positive and later test negative. All positives should be confirmed with IFA/ PCR.

Rooneyzoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How did you manage the two kitties after this? Did you keep them separated?

Lc92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to keep them both in separate rooms for about two months until I went to the vet to get them both tested. No contact at all. Luckily, they both tested negative the second time around and I was finally able to reunite them.