Feline Hyperthesia Sydrome and My Poor Cat

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting theory about sodium. Pork *shouldn't* be any higher in salt than any other meat, so long as it is not "enhanced".
But I wonder if one of the supplements I am giving Ritz (L-methanine and a probiotic) have sodium in them.
I'll have to look at the labels to see; if something in them tastes salty, it may explain why Ritz is drinking more water.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The trigger must be different for many cats. Jamie had very severe FHS as a kitten (he didn't/couldn't sleep for days on end because of it), even before he was vaccinated, and I never noticed any correlation later, although he was vaccinated regularly. What we did find was that removing all soy and beet pulp from his diet not only greatly reduced his FHS, but also the occurrence of EGC (rodent ulcers). He got a salmon oil supplement for the EGC, but we never tried krill oil.

I suspect that additives like artificial flavoring and preservatives could also play a role. Jamie's FHS was very mild for years and years, but worsened again the last year of his life, when I was giving him foods like Fancy Feast (Classics) and Sheba to tempt his appetite.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The trigger must be different for many cats.
I agree.
  I still like theorizing and part of me wants there to be one cause of FHS that is creating so much discomfort in so many kitties. But, I do realize that FHS can be caused by many different things.

Okay, so two things have changed for Boo in the last 2-3 days. I stopped his glucosamine/chondroitin supplement and the weather has gotten warmer (supposed to go up to 70 today!). No FHS episodes AT ALL in two days! 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bear with me, as I am theorizing again... 

I finally got my purchase history from The Vitamin Shoppe emailed to me.

I didn't purchase the glucosamine/chondroitin supplement until May 2013. Boo's FHS started in October 2012. So, I think we can conclude that the glucosamine/chondroitin was not the cause.

HOWEVER, what I did start in early October 2012 was l-lysine powder (Carlson brand), which I am still giving him. Prior to buying Carlson, I was using Viralys brand for pets, but I didn't like that it was fish flavored and wanted to switch. I wonder....could the Carlson l-lysine be the problem? I tried to do a little research on FHS and l-lysine. I found a review on Amazon (for a different brand of lysine chews) that stated her cat's hyperesthesia got worse after taking the l-lysine chews. 

I kept going with my research. Is is possible that long-term l-lysine supplementation has slowly depleted his arginine levels? Symptoms of an arginine deficiency include tremors/spasms and hyperesthesia. There's a thread about this on TCS here.

I know I know....I'm going way overboard here. But at least it makes sense.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate to interject into what is an interesting and very scientific conversation but I just had one small point to make. 

I remember that there was an episode of My Cat from Hell where they worked with a cat with FHS. And, one of the things that really helped that particular cat was in having a feline companion. The companion helped bring a good calming energy that was very relaxing for her, and he helped to protect/calm her down when the symptoms got really bad. 

So, I guess I'm posing it as a possible theory. Do any of you have other cats in the home, and do you think they help your FHS baby to be calmer? Or does it just depend? If there is any correlation I would highly recommend looking into a companion cat for those who don't already have one. 

Oh, and go to Animal Planet.com and watch the episode if you haven't already. There may be even further insights that I'm just not remembering! 

Otherwise, I'm eagerly reading but have nothing of substance to contribute. Carry on you geniuses! 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
(Well don't know about geniuses...)
I did see that episode, it was really good.
In Ritz' case, I actually think a companion cat would make her FHS worse. About 1.5 years ago, I fostered "Twiddledee" for about three months; Twiddledee was formerly owned, a real sweet heart, very laid back. Ritz' displeasure escalated: she swatted at Twiddledee with absolutely no provocation. Twiddledee was eventually returned to the cat colony I help take care of (for unrelated reasons).
A month or two later, around the time she was vaccinated for Rabies, her FHS symptons escalated significantly. I think the combination of new cat and vaccine pushed her over the edge, FHS wise.
That said, I personally would love another cat of a different temperament than Ritz, but realistically, I know it is not in Ritz' best interests.
Regarding lysine: have you tasted it? Does it taste salty? There are usually addivities in chews, to make them taste better. Maybe it's not the lysine itself, but the additivies. Is there a test for arginine levels?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adventureme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Binky with FHS and what has been working to treat her symptoms….

It has been a very stressful time for me and Binky since she first got FHS last October. Just to recap, her symptoms were the same as most posting here….constant twitching, and excessive licking (mostly on her side flanks where the twitching was most apparent). I have watched her a lot over the course of all this and have logged all occurrences and what she has been taking to prevent her symptoms every day since this started and here are my findings:

I believe cats that are hyper and like to chew on things (cardboard boxes, paper, etc.. are most acceptable to this condition. Binky has always liked to chew on cardboard boxes and also likes to shred paper towel or toilet paper with her claws and she will rip pieces off with her mouth. She has always been quite hyperactive and her hormones seem to go into overdrive many of times. For example, about a year or so before she developed FHS she would totally overreact to things, if she’s sitting high up on something and you come too close, her eyes would open really wide, she would swat her paws and try to lunge at you. She is very territorial and does not like to be touched often especially by anyone other than myself. If she’s sleeping and anyone comes near our front door, she jumps up from her sleep and goes to inspect (almost like a guard dog). She would at times (mostly in the morning) get this jolt of energy out of the blue and all of sudden start running around the apartment jumping up on the couch quick as can be and her tail would get all bushy. This is all before she got FHS and before she started on medications to help control it. So, the million dollar question for me is whether this is a “behavioural” thing or whether it’s from toxins that she ingested by sleeping on a new bed duvet cover that was dyed using chemicals to get it a deep purple colour which after sleeping on for several days while grooming herself and licking her fur that got into her system and caused some type of nerve hypersensitivity as her FHS started only a few days after she slept on the duvet cover. My vet suggested this is likely not the case and called her FHS as an “environmental” condition. It does not seem to be food related nor does it have anything to do with the weather conditions. I also have an air purifier that runs all day and night and also a humidifier and yet she still would have her symptoms. I also though maybe it was the few carpets I had so I got rid of them all and still her symptoms appeared. The only thing that has kept her symptoms at bay is the following medications:

Gabapentin – 2x a day
Prednisolone – 1x a day (5mg)
Fluoxetine (Prozac) – 1x a day – she is slowly being weaned off this and is currently at a 0.35ml dose. However, since I’ve started weaning down to this dose, her symptoms seem to be starting up a little only ever so slightly and it’s fleeting when they do.

When I had Binky on just the Prozac and Gabapentin, her symptoms were still really bad and she would twitch all day and night. The difference was adding the Prednisolone to her mix of meds which is the ONLY THING THAT STOPPED HER SYMPTOMS right away. It has been about 1 ½ months since incorporating the Prednisolone and she is doing great for the most part. I’ve really only starting noticing a slight twitching 2 times during the last month and a half and the one time I thought she may have spat some of the pill out of her mouth. I am scared to take her completely off the Prozac but I am going to try and see if her symptoms come back once she’s off it which should be in another maybe month. She has an appointment to get her blood check next Friday to see if the meds are causing any elevations. I’m terrified to take her to the vet as it’s always a huge commotion as they have to try to restrain her using gawd knows what and they will most likely have to put her under full anesthesia as they did the first time I took her in to have her blood work done back in October last year. I asked if I should try to put a soft cone on her head before bringing her in and they said not to bother as they have all the necessary things at the clinic. Last time she was at the vet getting her blood taken she developed a bump on her nose so I’m very nervous and stressed out about this. I don’t know why I can’t prepare her first and maybe have them give me a pill (sedative) to give Binky just before I take her there but they said she needs to be dropped off first thing and will have to wait until they can get the work done which may be a few hours. Last time it was all day before I was able to pick up her. Wish me luck lol

I know how frustrating FHS is and how badly we all want to know why and how this is happening to our fur babies. Please let’s keep sharing our experiences as maybe we will find out something to help each other. I do know that before Binky gets her twitching, she usually starts to lick her lips and swallow weirdly. This is when I know her symptoms will start up.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not interjecting @EB24...you're participating in the conversation! 
  I have three cats, so Boo has companions.

In my research, there are three broad explanations to FHS: 1) obsessive compulsive, 2) neurological, and/or 3) allergies.

I started thinking more about the whole lysine/arginine theory, and it's probably highly unlikely. I forgot that I already reduced his lysine dose and he's surely getting enough arginine from his canned diet. The Carlson l-lysine powder I use is 100% l-lysine. There are no fillers, but it IS very salty tasting. It's my understanding that any brand of l-lysine tastes salty, though.

@AdventureMe, I'm glad that you have found a combination of things that are working for Binky. It's interesting how all cats are different. Boo does like to chew on plastic bags, but he's not hyper and a rather chill kind of cat, but yet he's plagued with FHS. Also, we tried Boo on pred and it had no effect. Since the pred is working so well for Binky, it does make me wonder if there was some kind of underlying inflammation or allergy that was making her uncomfortable, since pred can help with both of these things. 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And Ritz was never chewed. But she has always been a skittish, nervous cat. I do believe her FHS is a reaction to the vaccinations she received. I am treating her with homeopathic crystals. Her symptoms have decreased somewhat.

sara457

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I hate to interject into what is an interesting and very scientific conversation but I just had one small point to make. 

I remember that there was an episode of My Cat from Hell where they worked with a cat with FHS. And, one of the things that really helped that particular cat was in having a feline companion. The companion helped bring a good calming energy that was very relaxing for her, and he helped to protect/calm her down when the symptoms got really bad. 

So, I guess I'm posing it as a possible theory. Do any of you have other cats in the home, and do you think they help your FHS baby to be calmer? Or does it just depend? If there is any correlation I would highly recommend looking into a companion cat for those who don't already have one. 

Oh, and go to Animal Planet.com and watch the episode if you haven't already. There may be even further insights that I'm just not remembering! 

Otherwise, I'm eagerly reading but have nothing of substance to contribute. Carry on you geniuses! 

My cat Gayden has FHS, though not officially diagnosed. I researched his symptoms, watched some youtube videos of cats with the disorder, and it is *exactly* the same with Gayden - though thankfully he doesn't run around screaming or mutilating himself.

He has a companion cat, Calvin, and they get along really well. Calvin often grooms him, and I noticed he was even licking Gayden's back as though he sensed it was bothering him. He's a very sensitive and affectionate cat and he definitely cares about Gayden a lot.

I'm only now paying close attention to what triggers an episode. The last few days he's been having really bad episodes to the point where his back paws have been having spasms as he tries to lick his tail and back twitching.

So far I'm thinking there are two possible causes - or a combination of the two:

1. Anxiety (he's never been the same after having been hospitalized for urinary blockage two years ago. I think there was permanent damage to his penis and or internal areas from the catheter. He started humping things and spraying immediately when he got back and had never done that before.

2. Health issues. He's had a lot of health problems over the years. He's had urinary blockage, Feline Leukemia Virus, Anemia, and now the most recent blood tests shows that he might be in the early stages of kidney disease.

I wouldn't rule out toxins...while I only use natural cleaners and don't use candles or fragrances very often at all, very few homes are "green". There are so many things in our houses that have off gassing. Like laminate and vinyl flooring, carpets, furniture, mattresses. Even clothing is full of chemicals.

I feed Gayden Wellness, which I believe is grain free and free of additives and preservatives. He also eats small amounts of T/D and Taste of the Wild dry food.

I feel the main trigger this week was anxiety. We just got home on Monday after having been away for three weeks, and my boyfriend is still away for work. So there have been lot's of changes in Gayden's routine. But he might also have discomfort relating to his kidneys.

What has helped, is keeping things really really quiet. I've been devoting the last few days just to making him happy and comfortable. I've been talking to him all the time, playing gentle music, giving him time outside, watching the t.v in the basement with the lights dimmed and volume low. He hasn't left my side in four days!!!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I feel the main trigger this week was anxiety. We just got home on Monday after having been away for three weeks, and my boyfriend is still away for work. So there have been lot's of changes in Gayden's routine. But he might also have discomfort relating to his kidneys.

What has helped, is keeping things really really quiet. I've been devoting the last few days just to making him happy and comfortable. I've been talking to him all the time, playing gentle music, giving him time outside, watching the t.v in the basement with the lights dimmed and volume low. He hasn't left my side in four days!!!
That's so great of you to keep things quiet for Gayden. I do the same for Sebastian when he doesn't feel well.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just watched a rerun of a Jackson Galaxy episode where he worked with a cat that has FHS.  This kitty was also on medicine for it and he of course was working the behavior angle.  This kitty went from having 30 to 35 episodes a day even with medication down to 4 or 5.  He had very severe episodes with the hissing and running under the bed to try to get away from it.  He had them writing down episodes to figure out the triggers and they also had gotten an easy going laid back kitty.  Jackson worked on the two of them being together so the other kitty would be like a therapy cat.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You're not interjecting @EB24...you're participating in the conversation! 

Haha well thanks! I guess since I'm here I do have a question if you would all indulge me:

Around what age did your cats' start developing symptoms? Do you remember what the early ones were? 

I'm asking because I have been having problems with my year and a half old little guy for awhile now. I'm not going to jump into all the details as this is just a fact finding post but his vet has said not to rule out the possibility that he may be in the early stages of FHS. He definitely self-harms but it's in the sense that he will get upset and literally throw himself headfirst into the door while screaming bloody murder. Outside of this he is just stressed and anxious all the time and I really worry about him. His vision and hearing have checked out fine and he has no other medical problems.

Am I headed down this same road with him? 
 Anything you all can recall from the early stages I would appreciate hearing! 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Around what age did your cats' start developing symptoms? Do you remember what the early ones were?
Boo's FHS started in October 2012. I only know this so specifically because I journal a lot of what goes on with my cats. I have no idea what "triggered" it. It started out very infrequent (maybe only once or twice a week) with him turning around real quick to lick at his sides and flank. I thought he was itchy because of fleas (even though he is indoor only), so I was treating him for fleas for several months. The back rippling and running around started in early 2013. The episodes became more and more frequent up to about five times a day (still mild, comparatively speaking). He does not make any sounds or hiss or bite at himself, luckily.

Boo has a lot going on right now. A multitude of symptoms that don't all point to one condition, so it's really difficult to pinpoint what I could do to help his FHS along with everything else. Although, the medication he is on does help with a few of his issues all at the same time.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz had a few twitching episodes starting roughly one year after I first adopted her; best guess her age at the time was 1.5 years old (rescued in December 2009 off the streets) in mid to late 2011. As a new cat owner, I just chalked them up to 'growing' pains or something cats did. It was, at the time, kind of cute.
Her symptoms escalated dramatically after she received a rabies vaccination in January 2013 as part of her yearly Wellness Check. Prior to that time there was a lot of stress in her. I had been fostering a cat for about three months (very friendly, laid back--very different from Ritz) and Ritz definitely was not happy.
It was then that I put her on Prozac (eventually weaned off in spring 2013). Her symptoms decreased significantly, I think in retrospect partly because of the Prozac, partly because of some homeopathic medication, partly because of less stress.
Fast forward to January 2014 when I had her vaccinated against Distemper. Symptoms escalated once again. Homeopathic crystals helping somewhat, and elimination of pork and turkey.
She won't be vaccinated again.
I saw the Jackson Galaxy episode yesterday (repeat). What struck me was that the cat's symptoms escalated around breakfast and dinner. I too have noticed that Ritz symptoms escalate after dinner. I can't play with Ritz before I feed her at dinner--she has gone 11 hours without food and play is the last thing she wants to do.
Ritz has always been a somewhat anxious cat. But she has never self-mutilate. She may have zero to four very short episodes a day.

jeanne573

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone.  New here and so happy to find this thread!  My cat Lovebug is just shy of 2 two years and suddenly developed FHS a few weeks ago.  The only symptom she DOESN'T have is howling at night.  Lovebug is my heart and this experience has been devastating (as you all know). BUT, there has been some improvement and I have hope now.  What I did first was done on instinct.  I made sure that our routine stayed the same as much as possible.  I didn't let her withdraw from me and me from her. I read many articles that said no petting especially on the back near the tail but I learned for myself what she was comfortable with. I knew she needed my love and affection! And the most important thing I did was NO NEGATIVITY allowed.  I wanted to cry my eyes out but I didn't allow myself to do that at home. I sang to her and kept telling her everything will be okay.  When I sang it was the only time she made eye contact with me looking a bit like her old self.  The next thing I did was make her environment as comfortable as possible.  I saw immediately that she always ran to her "safe" place when episodes hit which for her was a super high windowsill.  (I have floor to ceiling windows)  So I created some other safe places for her.  She LOVES plastic bags and likes hiding in them.  So, I got a new big blue (calming color) and encourage her to go in there during episodes and it worked.  I live in a small studio so this gave her two places she felt safe in.  I also had to change where I fed her because she kept looking out the window in a kind of paranoid  way while trying to eat.  (sometimes a neighbor cat would be outside that window).  I also changed her food from Purina dry and Friskies canned to a grain free Tiki canned and grain free Taste of the Wild dry.  I decided if it was food allergies causing the FHS an immediate change was necessary.  I am happy to say that in 24 hrs of being of the old food there was some improvement.  The biggest symptom that was gone was the dialated eyes!! She had a few good hours that next morning and following that the episodes were A LITTLE little frequent and intense.  The next day (yesterday) she was about the same and I was happy with the improvement remained but wished her beautiful little spirit would come back. ( I forgot to mention that I kept my apt cool, quiet, and shaded.)  I have been tracking the times, durations etc. of her episodes.  And they were hourly.   SOOOO, yesterday around 4:00 I realized that she had been mellow for a little while and to make a long story short (sorta ...lol) she continued to be pretty mellow, some excessive grooming (but it was calm)  and some "twitchiness" and running about but then my little miracle happened around 7:00.  She started playing with me which hadn't happened since this all began.  First it was peekaboo from behind a curtain.  Her spirit was back!!!  I laughed and played with her until 9:00!!!!  That's all I was praying for that she would be happy again and more comfortable.  From everything I've learned so far I know that she may never be 100% again or even all the time. I want to keep my expectations realistic.  I believe it was the combination of everything i did but mostly the diet change. I FINALLY found a vet that is willing to try and work with me (because I begged I think) making no promises.  I know there are no experts out there.  Anyway, our appt is this Saturday and I plan to get complete blood work done to rule out any possible underlying conditions that might cause FHS.  If she were to get worse or not improve any further I might consider trying the Amitriptyline.  I so am happy to find others going thu the same thing because I haven't had anyone to talk to except for one friend who could only say "poor Lovebug".  Well, thanks for "listening"  and hope you all have a blessed day.

tina23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Lovebug.  I'm glad she doesn't have the more serious symptoms (my Tucker self mutilated his tail).  Hopefully the things you're already doing will work but if you do have to try the amitriptyline don't be scared of it.  That is what saved my little boy.  I get it in the lipoderm form (kind of a lotion) so I can put just a dab in his ear - WAYYYYY easier than pills!  It's now been about 3 years he's been on it and it still works perfectly.  It doesn't change his personality or zombie him which is what I was afraid of.  The only side effect I notice is he gets the munchies :)   They have dry food out 24/7 so he just eats when he wants.  He's not overweight so I don't worry about it.

Good luck with Lovebug!  Keep us updated and ask as many questions as you want!

Tina

jeanne573

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the welcome Tina.  Yes, all the other drugs I read about scared me...especially the Pheno.  Didn't know amitriptyline came in lotion!!  Lovebug does swish her tail and look at it like its her arch enemy but luckily no biting it. 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Boo's FHS started in October 2012....
Ritz had a few twitching episodes starting roughly one year after I first adopted her; best guess her age at the time was 1.5 years old (rescued in December 2009 off the streets) in mid to late 2011....
Thank you both for your replies. They are super helpful and informative but also nerve wracking (especially hearing from another poster that howling at night can be a symptom which is something we are dealing with heavily right now). Only time will tell if he starts to develop more serious symptoms but I'm still praying that he doesn't. I suppose the silver lining is that, if he does, I know exactly where to turn for good advice!

Thanks again and 
Vibes to all of you and your babies dealing with this horrible disease. I hope their individual treatments continue to bring relief!