Feline Hyperesthesia?

amandag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We recently took in a stray in March. She got her shots and became strictly indoors on 03/15/17. In the past 2 days she has started jumping like she is startled and taking off running. The muscles on her back "twitch" as well as her tail and sometimes her ears. She is eating, drinking, and going to the litter box as normal. When she isn't having these occurrences she is perfectly normal. I'm taking her to the vet this morning but, I'm not sure how they will diagnose this. Anyone have experience with this or know of something else that can cause it? I'm trying to get a video but she takes off running usually before it happens.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The exact cause of feline hyperesthesia is unknown... some classify it as a seizure disorder while others believe it's triggered by trauma. Your vet might prescribe an anti-anxiety like kitty Prozac or another SSRI. Post back after the vet visit... I'm sending you my best wishes. You're being a wonderful purrson for your sweet kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet seems to think it's due to her coming into heat..... I'm not sold on that explanation but, she seems to think it's the case. I'm going to have her spayed next week or the week after. (as soon as they can schedule her) She isn't spayed now only bc we thought she may be pregnant when we took her in but, shes been inside for 78 days now so we know it's safe to go ahead with the surgery! Has anyone had experience with a female doing this when in heat?