Feline Hyperesthesia problems

BrokenSpace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Dexter, is 4 years old. Been having a problem with FHS for about 2 years now. Only recently been self mutilating though. It’s gotten bad. Wake up my mornings to blood all over. Vet has him on fluoxetine and gabapentin. Seemed like it helped for a little then one day it didn’t. Now his tail is cut open again and I can’t get him to stop making it bleed. He Houdini’s out of any cone we put on him. Tried wrapping it with sports wrap and some gauze. Took those off after a couple hours. At this point I can’t sleep without worrying he’s going to get at it more. Need advice bad. Vet seems like they don’t even know what to do. I just don’t want my cat to suffer anymore

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't really know anything about this but, I did do some quick google searches and found these links.
Hyperesthesia Syndrome | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
Treating Feline Hyperesthesia | PetMD

Just from a quick read on these it looks like it can be brought on by stress or a seizure disorder similar to epilepsy. It looks as though no one really has anything set in stone as to the cause or a cure but, these articles do have some good suggestions as far things to try around the house to eliminate stress, things to avoid, and medications.

I think at this point google is your friend. ( I actually used Bing to find these) I would like to hear any feedback you may have once you read the articles. This thread could be helpful down the road for someone else.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use CBD oil on my cat. It really helps soothe the rolling skin and calms the manic racing around.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Chelsea has FHS but never got to the point of self mutilating, fortunately. We were close sometimes, especially as she did not recognize her own tail when the episodes started. I am sorry that I don't have a solution for you but from observing Chelsea, I do believe that it is a seizure disorder and in a very bad case as your cat has might try to consult a veterinary neurologist. The upshot with Chelsea, who actually woke me this morning having one of her less frequent episodes, is that she is probably nearing the end of her fight with intestinal lymphoma and once she was on meds for that, the FHS greatly abated for whatever reason. If your vet is more or less throwing up his hands, you need to go elsewhere.

I have used CBD oil with Chelsea and that may have helped as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BrokenSpace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. I’ve tried CBD on him. It didn’t seem to do much. Plus he’s very picky about what he eats so he wasn’t a fan of it at all. Vet I’m currently with upped his gabapentin today and lowered the fluoxetine. I’ve got an appointment with a new vet next week that has dealt with FHS so hopefully she’ll have better answers/solutions. I’ll keep this post updated when I get some more results

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she doesnt like the taste of cbd- you might try transdermal gel. I got a gel pen from Marys Whole Pet for Gem who didnt like the oil either.