Feline Herpes Virus

WoodsHafen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,
I am new to this site and looking for advice. My cattery has been infected with the Herpes Virus. My 4 cats are now on end of its acute stage and I finally feel as though I can breathe. This virus was very scary and came on quickly. They are currently on Lysine 500mgs 2 X a day, Azithromycin to manage the secondary infection they acquired while in the acute stage of the virus, and Famciclovir. They are also on probiotics. Are there any other vitamins or meds they should be given?
I also would like to know if breeders manage this virus and continue to breed their cats, and if so, what is your protocol?
Thanks

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello All,
I am new to this site and looking for advice. My cattery has been infected with the Herpes Virus. My 4 cats are now on end of its acute stage and I finally feel as though I can breathe. This virus was very scary and came on quickly. They are currently on Lysine 500mgs 2 X a day, Azithromycin to manage the secondary infection they acquired while in the acute stage of the virus, and Famciclovir. They are also on probiotics. Are there any other vitamins or meds they should be given?
I also would like to know if breeders manage this virus and continue to breed their cats, and if so, what is your protocol?
Thanks
What probiotics are they on?Im not a breeder.But my cat just recently put on Famciclovir also n Lysine for the herpes virus.But before Snowball was put on the ones mentioned above he was on Amox/ clav:n terramycin n tobramycin.And tobramycin didnt do nothing.The terramycin n amox/ clav helped with the conjunctivitis he got from the herpes virus.But as soon as amox/ clav and terramycin was done it was like nothn was helping.Until Famciclovir.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

WoodsHafen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What probiotics are they on?Im not a breeder.But my cat just recently put on Famciclovir also n Lysine for the herpes virus.But before Snowball was put on the ones mentioned above he was on Amox/ clav:n terramycin n tobramycin.And tobramycin didnt do nothing.The terramycin n amox/ clav helped with the conjunctivitis he got from the herpes virus.But as soon as amox/ clav and terramycin was done it was like nothn was helping.Until Famciclovir.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello All,
Thanks
They are on the FortiFlora
Its really difficult to try n mix supplements etc in my cats food he wont eat it.Never tried FortiFlora

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I did quite a bit of reading when I found out Mouse most likely had feline herpes and would have to have been infected at the breeder's when he was still with his mum. Apparently most 'breeders' and catteries carry feline herpes though might not know as cats don't always show symptoms. Mouse's breeder only found out about her cats when I talked with her about it. Seems Mouse's mum was stressed when she was having him and had shown some herpes symptoms. They now look out for signs with all their cats and do what they can to keep stress levels down espfor the queen's. Healthy cats with immune systems as strong as possible are less likely to show symptoms or be sick with the virus. I'd talk with your vet if giving l lysine long term as it can put strain on the liver which might be counter productive for breeding cats.