Feline gastrointestinal lymphoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My 14 year old little guy has been very ill. initial symptoms were as listed. excessive drinking, decreased appetite, drastic sudden weight loss. He lost a little over 1 pound in a month and a half, based on vet's scale. I can see/feel his bones. He appears to be cold, as he seeks out warm and sunny places to lay, more than he usually does.no vomiting, or diarrhea. at all. this all started back in January. he had just been at the vet right before Christmas, and all of his senior panel blood work was normal. I took him to the vet on February 17th.I told the veterinarian what was going on with him, and she noticed the weight loss after getting him on the scale, looking back at December's weight. she physically examined him, and felt a mass above his bladder, so she could not aspirate the urine. They drew blood for another senior panel, and she did an abdominal x-ray. she told me that he had thickening of his lower intestines, and enlarged lymph nodes in his abdomen. she immediately thought that he has lymphoma. I asked her how long, and she said, " not long." I was devastated. I asked her if you could be anything else, and she reluctantly said"sepsis." so, then we waited for the blood work. again, all of his bloodwork was normal, perfect even.she then prescribed prednisone 5 milligrams twice daily, and an anti nausea medication, which was odd, because he was not vomiting at all.I gave his medication, and he just seemed to go downhill really fast. he entirely subdued altogether. I remembered I had mirtazapine for him, so I gave him one fourth of a 15 milligram tablets, it helped. he ate a lot that night! Although, it seems as though once the food hit his bowel he was in pain, he cried throughout the night. I felt horrible. I called the vet in the morning and she said that is normal. She actually said it was a good idea to give him something to make him want to eat. so, she prescribed mirtazapine to him again. Now, I have done research and noticed that he could have IBD, and not lymphoma so, I questioned her about that. She said it is possible but not probable. she said this based on what she saw on the x-ray, and his symptoms along with his age.if I take him off of the mirtazapine he will not eat. He has not gained any weight, however, I took him back to the vet and the scale showed a five-ounce increase, but he was full of stool. has anyone gone through this? I know that no one can tell me for sure what is wrong with him, but I am just wondering is she right about it not being probable for him to have IBD? Everything I have read online says without chemo, I do not have much longer with my baby. :-( I am devastated, and I need help. He is not himself anymore. He does not play, he is irritplay, all he does now, is eat because of the medicine and lay under the bed. I am afraid that he is going to continue going down hill, because his prednisone dosage has gone down to 5 milligrams a day for five days. After that he will be on prednisolone, and then something else that is even more gentle on his little system. I don't know what it is. biopsy was not recommended due to his age and the risk involved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
this is his x-ray. I hope that helps. Please, somebody give me some advice.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone?

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I don't really have much advice for you, as I'm going through a similar thing with my guy except he has very different side effects. I understand what you're going through though and how hard it is and I just wanted to offer you some comfort.

My vet prescribed Hill WD for my guy, except he has diarrhea so that's probably not helpful for you. I've heard that novel protein diets can be very helpful for IBD so that may be worth a shot?

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm so sorry that someone else is going through the same thing. It is devastating. my veterinarian does not recommend any prescription diet for him at this time. I tried that. she told me to love him, spoil him, and feed him whatever he wants. ( So long as it is not harming him.) I have even try to temp him with his favorite treat . No luck. He will only nibble a little here and there. Unless, it is cycle day 1 of three of his mirtazapine. He will eat on that day. I think I am losing him. :-(

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are going through this. I don't really have any advice to give you but wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I have never been so broken hearted. This is truly ripping my heart out. I have had my beautiful green eyed little old man since he was a kitten. I have kept him indoors, always took him for his check-ups, and I am VERY protective of him. He is my baby.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. His name is Mukkia. Technically it is (Mukki) it means little one in American Indian. No one could pronounce it correctly, so I added the A. 

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He doesn't even open his eyes all the way anymore. He is sometimes wobbly on his feet now, and he doesn't meow anymore. (If he does, it is a faint/ quite one.) :-( There has to be something I can do? I know he can meow, he just seems so tired.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie, I am so sorry you are going through this. (((hugs)))

Mukki is very, very sick right now. He is very weak. He is perhaps too weak to respond with a meow. 

I do not think there is anything you can do for him right now, except to love him....

I fear to say this, but it is the cancer which is taken hostage of his body and will not let go. 

He is tired from fighting. Poor Mukki is suffering...I fear it will not be long before his spirit leaves his body...

did you have any thoughts about relieving his suffering? It is the ultimate gift of love that we can bestow upon our babies.

To free him of pain, to tell him it is time, tell him you love him...

Sending you all the (((hugs))) and strength I can....

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:-( His Vet told me the same exact same thing you just did. "To just love him." I talk with Mukki everyday. As hard as this is, I have told him, " it's OK to go, and stop fighting, but only if you are ready. " I lay on the floor a lot by my bed so I can give him his (safe space), but so I can be by him as well. I was going to put him down last Friday, but an hour before his appointment he jumped on the kitchen counter and got in the widow! That was the first time in over a month since he last did that. I think he knew what was about to happen. I couldn't do it. So, I let him sit in the window with it open until the sun went down. I sat on the kitchen floor and watched him all evening.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Honey, I am so sad for you...

FYI, there are always people here, if you need to talk...

I think all any of us can say is:  (((hugs))) and love to you and Mukki

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*Put him to rest* I don't like saying "put down" he has a soul, and a personality just as we do. We are put to rest, not down. :-(

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I was hoping would see his x-ray and tell me that the veterinarian was wrong about lymphoma and he could have IBD instead.

nicosasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Mukkia

I am your fellow cat lover from the DC website ( I knew it was you based on your cat's story)

My Nico is the same now, he has not eaten since morning that I know of and is making low howls, I put his treats and broth and he wont touch them. He keeps standing in front of the food and water bowls and comes running to me, and I dont know what to do.

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awe. :-) Hi! I am so sorry to hear about your baby. :-(

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is a picture of him from the 16 of February. you can see his skin hanging on his sides. :-(

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't post a picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.