feline diabetic ketoacidosis

lynn phillips

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all cat lovers and experts! My daughter is a proud mommy, I'm the proud grandmommy, of 2 8 yr. old brother and sister cats. Our little girl cat was diagnosed with diabetic ketoacidosis about 3 wks ago. We've had our baaad days and we've had our good days. Today we're having a VERY BAD day. She can't hold her head up and wants just to lay. We've been through an overnight stay at a horrible vet clinic, we 'rescued' her from that hell hole and found another vet pronto. We are new to the area so we don't have the luxury that we had, a 7 yr. relationship with a great vet, so we have to 'go with the flow'. now this new vet sees the extent we are willing to go to and has worked with us, instructing us in an array of necessary treatments so we can do many things at home. We did spend 2 wks visiting twice daily before she realized we really are serious, and she had made enough money to meet her

goal. She eating, drinking water, my daughter has checked her blood sugar, it was 243 on a human meter, but she is still hanging her head, not walking steadliy, and wanting just to lay. She's had her insulin shot and has slept about and hour and a half and is now back up eating but the head is still drooping!  Any an all conversation, advice would be warmly welcome.  Love Grandmommy Lynn Phillips

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That doesn't sound good at all. If you don't want to take her to an emergency clinic or your vet right now at least get another blood glucose reading. Make sure to get it right away and don't stress her out at all. How is her water intake? What insulin is she on and what amount? Was she treated for the ketoacidosis in the hospital? Is she on Pepcid? What is she eating?

A droopy diabetic or any cat is not a good thing nor a thing that should wait.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please take your cat back to the vet for treatment. There is little you can do at home for your cat. Being lethargic and unable to walk normally is cause for concern. Here is some basic info about ketoacidosis and how it is generally treated: http://www.felinediabetes.com/ketones.htm Go to another vet office if you didn't like the other place.

Can you test the blood glucose level again? If you can, go to the pharmacy and buy some KetoStix or KetoDiastix to test the urine for ketones. Any amount of ketones needs immediate vet treatment.

You can get more experienced advice on caring for your diabetic cat over at the FelineDiabetes.com message board.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynn phillips

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's on ProZinc insulin. My daughter gave her 1 1/2 units this morning. She eating and drinking a little. But she only wants to lay, and is still hanging her head. we're almost as sick as she is with worry. we do have IV fluids but can't seem to inject the needle in without making her squirm, and therefore stressing her out. We want to do anything and can't seem to risk stressing her out by taking her anywhere!

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Diabetic cats still need more water than regular cats even when their glucose levels are under control. The IV fluids are to help rid the kidneys of toxins. My diabetic cat while not drinking as much as he did at the beginning stage of his diabetes still drinks a lot of water, and I mean a lot. A little bit of stress giving IV fluids may end up perking your cat right up.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

She's on ProZinc insulin. My daughter gave her 1 1/2 units this morning. She eating and drinking a little. But she only wants to lay, and is still hanging her head. we're almost as sick as she is with worry. we do have IV fluids but can't seem to inject the needle in without making her squirm, and therefore stressing her out. We want to do anything and can't seem to risk stressing her out by taking her anywhere!
I'm not familiar with ProZinc but check out the ProZinc board over at FelineDiabetes.com for more info: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=24&sid=d20187b2e25bc3f394ca07ff79b80428

I know that ProZicn is a U40 insulin. Do you have U40 insulin syringes? Just want to check that you have the right syringes to use with ProZinc

I really feel that your cat needs vet treatment ASAP. A cat with a history of ketoacidosis and isn't eating or drinking enough and is lethargic can quickly go downhill. Subq fluids may help a little but other treatment is likely needed.

I hope your cat will get better soon

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She really needs to see a vet ASAP. This is very serious. I know you don't want to stress her out but it will stress her system out more to be feeling like she is. How is she doing now? What was the last blood glucose?

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If in fact this is ketoacidosis, it cannot be treated at home and can be fatal:
 DKA [Ketoacidosis] cannot be treated at home. Veterinary care for DKA involves intravenous (IV) fluids to flush the animal's system of the ketones and when necessary, to replace depleted electrolytes[19][20][21], such as bicarbonate; intravenous  orintramuscular  fast-acting  insulin to bring the blood glucose levels down[22][23]; measured amounts of glucose or force feeding, sometimes by feeding tube, to force the metabolism back from fat-burning to glucose-burning.
For further information and the source: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Ketones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynn phillips

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to thank all who replied! I am guardedly optimistic about the progress of our little girl :)  When I say we've had our good days as well as bad, I mean like balling  for 6 hours and feeling as stressed as I've ever felt! Again, I thank you for responding, I send my prayers and good wishes to all and any that are dealing with a sick animal family member.  Lovingly Lynn Phillips