Feline dementia

oz'smum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I joined this site a few months after adopting Oz from Cats Protection, in July 2004. He was a stray, and by their original guestimation he’s approx 23 yrs old. While he’s physically quite well, no medication, and eating and drinking. He is showing a level of confusion, its hard to explain, but its clear to us.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or advice about dementia in cats. He seems content at the moment, we go along with his quirks. But we don’t want him to suffer at any point, and I worry about what point we’ll need to make the decision to let him go.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If dementia is his only issue, I can't imagine contemplating letting him go, especially since you say he is eating/drinking well. Physically well - as in routine blood work, urinalyses, and exams? Suffering from/how?

Can you tell us what is going on with him that would lead you to think about doing so? Possible eyesight or hearing issues that might be adding to the cognitive issue aspect? There are a ton of ideas, but homing in on specifics pertaining to him might help members come up with possible solutions/helpful tips.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oz'smum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is deaf, he doesn’t respond to sounds, and the vet nurse who last dealt with his matted fur, said there is a polyp in one of his ears. (he has to be dematted with general anaesthetic as he’s never allowed us to groom him, I even had to get antibiotics after he bit me when I tried, which was fine till about 4 years ago, he managed his semi long coat himself. But, his coat matts now. )

We haven’t had blood tests done for a couple of years, the vet was pleasantly surprised by his results for his age. When he’s had the anaesthetic since then, it seemed unnecessary for blood tests first, because he had to be dematted regardless, and there was no other way.

As far as his possible dementia, he can stand in the room for 5 minutes or more, turning his head between the door to go outside, or the doorway to the room with his food. Ive started making his mind up for him and choosing which option I think he might need. He’s never been a lap cat, but he cries to come to me. He cries a lot more than he used to, and although he’s not been able to groom himself like he used to, he’ll keep stopping to lick his front legs.

it might sound minor things, but when you’ve had a cat for nearly 19 years, we can see the differences, and while we don’t think it’s time to let him go yet, we don’t want him to suffer, and if he’s struggling mentally at any point, it’ll be as valid as making the decision for a physical illness.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand. I really do. My cat, while likely much younger than yours (18+ yo, close as we can get), and has health issues to boot, makes me wonder about a lot of things relative to her overall wellbeing. She is displaying some cognitive issues, but it is hard to tell when there are illnesses/diseases involved that can have some of the similar symptoms/impacts.

Nothing is really minor when you watch someone who you love decline in any manner.

I do hope that Oz's outdoor ventures are in a confined space - between the cognitive dysfunction and the deafness, it is scary to think of what might happen when he is outside.

Check out the article I provided above to see if there might be some thoughts in there for you.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's definitely your call but it's recommended for senior cats to have blood tests regularly. In Oz's case it might give you more insight as to whether or not he has any other health issues. This TCS Article discusses what to expect as your cat ages, scroll down to senility in cats which may have some helpful information: What To Expect As Your Cat Ages – TheCatSite Articles

I do understand how you feel since we've been in a similar situation with previous cats. Thinking of you and sending special thoughts to Oz. :vibes::vibes::vibes: