Feline Acne

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Linni

We have been cleaning our Cappy's chin every day with warm water and then applying polysporin. Someone here mentioned Stridex pads, but wouldn't they be too strong for a cat? I'd be afraid of using anything with alcohol in it.
Lin
I did use strides pads at first because the vet suggested it. I bought the "sensitive skin" kind but the 2nd day of cleaning I switched to peroxide. It's doing wonders, and her chin looks so much better. I also put a neosporin cream on it after cleaning/dabbing w/ the peroxide.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several of my cats have developed chin acne recently as well. I always have used ceramic and stainless steel dishes though. My vet recommended applying hydrogen peroxide. I've been using a Q-tip to apply it.
If you use hydrogen peroxide make sure it's fresh though. If the bottle has been previously opened and sitting around for a while it likely will be no good. H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) degrades into H2O (water) over time and with exposure to air and light.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a cat many years ago with this issues. I use to shave her chin very closely and use the peroxide each day. Cleared it right up. Didn't know about the plastic bowls all of those years ago.. Live and learn

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silly_ goose

turns out one of my babies (Bonnie) has feline acne. has anyone else experienced this with their animal? the vet gave me an antibiotic and told me to get some oxy swabs and apply it a few times a week.

just wanted to get some insight
thanks!
One of my cats had it once. It's pretty common from what I've been told. I've always used stainless steel food bowls but used those plastic automatic watering containers. The vet suggested getting rid of the plastic and going to either stainless water bowls or water fountains. Bacteria builds up in the plastic, no matter how much you clean it, or so I was told. Got rid of those and the acne disappeared. Like you, I used the antibiotic. Glazed ceramic bowls are also supposed to be good.