Feeling so stressed and exhausted over my cats UTI

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fluffyfatty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How did you introduce them? Are both your boys neutered?
First introduction: kept the new cat in the room for almost a week. Housecat could pick up his scent from outside the door. Then one day we just opened the door and everyone got together. The housecat was smart to not do anything infront of humans but when we were not looking he would attack the new cat.

Second introduction (a year later): same thing as above. At this point we know the cats are all fully aware of each other’s existence so we just gradually started letting them hang out in the hall under my close supervision. Occasionally housecat would chase or hit the new cat but I would stop it immediately. But I guess to the new cat, the trauma is still there even though a year has passed. It’s difficult for me to know because he always behaved so confidently and happily infront of the housecat like he really didn’t care. In fact it was the housecat that we would often see secretly gazing at the new cat.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like a urinary clot. Where's the poop? I'm I blind?

Occasionally housecat would chase or hit the new cat but I would stop it immediately.
That could be part of the problem. Did new cat run and hide and cower? Play fighting and "determining the hierarchy" with multiple cats is very important. If you intervene too soon, then they can't establish where they stand and the fighting can escalate/continue. By stopping "normal" behavior, you could be undermining their confidence. And sometimes HOW you intervene can cause stress as well. If new cat seemed confident in front of housecat (Can we get names?? :), pictures would be great too!), and if there was no blood shed and clumps of fur, then letting them figure it out could be what needs to be done. Of course I would still monitor, but I had the same thing with one of my boys. It SEEMED like he was picking on my little timid female, but he just wanted to play and she wasn't ready yet. Now the tables have turned and she will instigate just as much as him even though she is less than half his size.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And back to the poop...
If his poop is all spaced out in his colon, he could he slightly constipated as well as gassy. When was the last time he pooped? And what did it look like, not the clot thing, a normal poop.
Giving him a little hairball remedy (or vaseline, in a pinch), for a couple of days will help move things along better. It greases things up in there so it passes smoothly.
Cats, if in pain when trying to urinate, may also developed constipation issues because...
1) the pain they associate with peeing they think will happen while pooping too. Litter avoidance can happen with pooping and yet not peeing even if it's urination that is the problem.
2) the position, straining and passing of stool, causes more pain because is pushes up against the urethra that is already irritated.
3) If 1 or 2 caused constipation, pooping alone can be painful.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I’m looking at amazon now for D mannose (honestly doesn’t hurt to try at this point) but there are several options.... There’s one by Wellness partners, one cranberry one and then one intended for humans. Which one should I get?
I got pure D-Mannose for Feeby, but have yet to give it to her. The vet said, and I agree, the other added ingredients really don't serve much of a purpose. But, then again, I want to give it to Feeby because all of her most recent UTIs have been from E coli bacteria. D-Mannose is supposed to help clear E coli from the bladder lining, decreasing the chances of a UTI developing.
1575220641806.png

Fluffyfatty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That looks like a urinary clot. Where's the poop? I'm I blind?

That could be part of the problem. Did new cat run and hide and cower? Play fighting and "determining the hierarchy" with multiple cats is very important. If you intervene too soon, then they can't establish where they stand and the fighting can escalate/continue. By stopping "normal" behavior, you could be undermining their confidence. And sometimes HOW you intervene can cause stress as well. If new cat seemed confident in front of housecat (Can we get names?? :), pictures would be great too!), and if there was no blood shed and clumps of fur, then letting them figure it out could be what needs to be done. Of course I would still monitor, but I had the same thing with one of my boys. It SEEMED like he was picking on my little timid female, but he just wanted to play and she wasn't ready yet. Now the tables have turned and she will instigate just as much as him even though she is less than half his size.
That’s what I had wanted to do. I wanted them to go figure it out themselves since more than a year has passed and new cat (Marshmallow) has grown to be bigger in size and more confident as well. Sadly I also have to intervene and break up any form of contact between them because over a year ago when they first met, housecat (Mochi) actual whacked Marshmallow so bad in the eye that he got a corneal ulcer (super painful for cats....poor marshmallow). Again that ordeal took me months to find out Mochi was the culprit because again like I said - he behaved like an angel when we were watching. The doctor had to shine a light into Marshmallows eye to find mini scratches in his eye likely caused by another cat’s nail and that’s how we found out it was Mochi all along. The trauma was indeed very huge for Marshmallow he spent months in pain and then recovery. That’s why I decided to separate them forever. Until a month ago....

Marshmallow never goes up to Mochi to initiate play. He just walks up to him confidently doing his own business. Mochi is sometimes seen watching Marshmallow and then randomly hits his head when Marshmallow has his guard down. Somehow doesn’t look to me like playful behaviour? I have seen Mochi play with another housecat of mine, Yoshi (from mochi’s litter and they grew up together), and it never looks like that.

I don’t think I’d be risking this introduction again. So much is at stake. I thought what could go wrong, possibly another whack in the eye, but if I monitor them and get there to break it up in time, marshmallow’s eye would be fine. Who knew he’d develop a series of UTI. Cats....go figure. Now that this condition is internally caused by Marshmallow himself, there is little I can do except separate them for life.

Pictures of Marshmallow and Mochi :wave3:

97790F18-2B8C-4F2F-82D6-113841BFF4EF.jpeg

marshmallow

B3DFF20E-5D6A-4367-8864-991E03979307.png

mochi

Fluffyfatty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And back to the poop...
If his poop is all spaced out in his colon, he could he slightly constipated as well as gassy. When was the last time he pooped? And what did it look like, not the clot thing, a normal poop.
Giving him a little hairball remedy (or vaseline, in a pinch), for a couple of days will help move things along better. It greases things up in there so it passes smoothly.
Cats, if in pain when trying to urinate, may also developed constipation issues because...
1) the pain they associate with peeing they think will happen while pooping too. Litter avoidance can happen with pooping and yet not peeing even if it's urination that is the problem.
2) the position, straining and passing of stool, causes more pain because is pushes up against the urethra that is already irritated.
3) If 1 or 2 caused constipation, pooping alone can be painful.
Yes that is poop because I saw it coming out from his rear end not his wiener. I know...it doesn’t even look like poop to me as well. Just looks like a bloody jelly substance. The vet did take a look and he squished it and said there is tiny poop traces in there so yeah.

yes! his poop was shown to be spaced out in the X-ray but the doctor was confused because I told him marshmallow was not having diarrhoea prior to that. In fact he even had a good poop in the afternoon around lunch time (I took him to the ER around 3am).
4FC330E0-D0B7-4A26-8EF0-2C72B7FFFAF5.jpeg

Oh no..... I don’t want his urethra to be further irritated. I will try to give him some Vaseline. I hope he passes stool soon because he hasn’t yet done so ever since we returned from the ER. He might really be constipated but the vet didn’t think he was so he didn’t prescribe anything to help with constipation.

Here’s a picture of the pee my cat just released. To me it looks cloudy.... what do you think?
861F30F2-48E9-4C90-9153-8C8CE40DCFA3.jpeg

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. His poop doesn't look like he's constipated. The ends of it looks like it could me kinda mushy in fact. :headscratch: Unless those smaller round bits are hard inside and it's just the outside which is mushy. Sometimes cats can get diarrhea (and no your kitty does not have diarrhea right now) when they are constipated. They will absorb more water into the colon to try and pass the hard stool that is stuck. Maybe that's what just happened. Kitty made a bit of mushy poop to help pass the round bits that came out. What was shown on the X-ray could be all those end pieces and they were spaced out with the mushy stuff in between.
And I honestly don't know about the pee. I don't use paper litter so I don't know what it should look like. sorry.

And on a side note.....
Where else can people have a conversation about cat excrement and not feel like total crazy people? LOL! :poop:

They are such cuties by the way!!!!