Feeling Sad

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know where to post this... My neighbor took in her daughter-in-law's 8 yo cat early in the year because the son/husband has another younger cat that the 8yo doesn't get along with. This neighbor is a dog person, and really doesn't understand cats. But, she felt bad for the cat and agreed to 'let her live out the rest of her life in our backyard', as she put it. The cat is/was a loving cat and very sweet, and I would have taken her if it weren't for Feeby (16+yo), who cannot tolerate any other cat. This cat, Lola, has ventured out of the yard a couple of times when there were accidental breeches in the fence and usually comes over on my property. The last time she was here, she seemed to have lost some weight (she wasn't, nor is, skinny by any means), and while still friendly, maybe not quite as much as she was a few months earlier when she 'escaped' before.

I think about Lola being alone in their yard day in and day out, and now tonight with the fireworks going off. I don't know how much interaction she gets, and I cannot convince the neighbor to find a new home for her. I think it is because the daughter-in-law comes over every so often to visit with the cat. The neighbor's husband is allergic to cats, but the neighbor claims that when he is on business trips she will let Lola into the house for brief spells.

Will this kind of life style over time change her from being the social cat she once was?

I know no one can help, but was hoping to hear that once a cat has been a social and loving cat they will keep that attribute throughout their lives - even with the smallest of human interaction. Thanks for 'listening'.:sigh:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for that. They have a dog and while the two animals get along when the dog is in the backyard, these folks just aren't into cats enough to bother. They previously had a cat that they thought for years was a girl, and pretty much left it to its own devises. That cat ended up at another neighbor's home and HE happily lived his days there. He was always an outdoor cat, but once the other neighbors took care of him, he never ventured back over to his original 'owners'.

On top of that, the neighbor as far as I know still has the DIL pay for/bring over Lola's food, and all they give her is Meow Mix, so I doubt anyone will be willing to pay for more expensive food. But, I will bring that up to my neighbor on the slim chance it could make a difference. I could offer to pay for it myself, but am sure they would take offense.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have similar frustrations with my dad and how he views cat care responsibilities. He just thinks they can fend for themselves and if by chance they don’t show back up, oh well it’s replaceable.

It’s totally different for me, I don’t just want any cats but my cats. They are all so different with their own personalities.

I guess the other thought is if you think the cat is suffering then euthanasia may be the kindest option. (When my grandmother passed I luckily took her cat but her sons wanted to put an overweight, declawed kitty outside. They didn’t think anything was “wrong” with that plan. I would definitely think between being euthanized or being turned outside the former option would be more humane.)

Wishing you a happy new year and sorry you are having to worry about this kitty’s well being.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Euthanasia! :eek: What for me? I am the only one I know for sure is actually suffering here. As sorry as I feel for her circumstances, I know she is eating, living, and breathing. I guess perhaps that is the point you were trying to make...

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel for you I really do. You are not alone in having neighbours that don't seem to care. The neighbour I got my kitten from has several cats that roam along my back yard wall. A few days ago I kept finding the older cat's in my yard meowing. Then they stopped but I was still hearing a cat cry. I looked everywhere for it but no joy. Then the neighbour asked if I had seen it said he had done a head count and was missing one. My hubby went out looking and Bandits twin was there under my shed. So I called the neighbour and asked him to come and get it. He came but kitten had disappeared so I left out some food and placed a chair outside so it could get over the wall and back home. He has a cat flap so the food got eaten don't know what cat had took it. And it was quite all day yesterday he said cat was back. But this morning I was woken up by the cat meowing it was stood in the middle of my yard but every time I try to get near it it's off. I know he feeds them and they can go in his house but I think sometimes he just took on to much he ended up with two pregnant cat's then had to rehome the kitten's and I'm begining to think he hasn't managed to especially after seeing the kitten that is like mine. So worry there will be more kitten's this started because he took in two strays and didn't get them done in time. I took my kitten found a good home for one of the girls pointed him towards help from cat charity's but just can't take any more in I could of got a pedigree cat with what we spent getting bandit right I'm not saying he is not worth it because we love him dearly but financially I can't take on any more.