Feeling confused about my Jasey Rae

rebeccalynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a seventeen year old, girl, I thought my biggest decision would be what guy I really like, or what to wear to prom. Not if my kitten should be put down or not. I got a sweet little kitten a few months ago.  She was with us three months and horribly sick the whole time. She was only a seven month old kitten. She started out here with a URI and we gave her an antibiotic and things got better. She seemed to be actually healthy  for once. I was over joyed. My baby girl, my sweet Jasey Rae was better. She was going to be alright. Last friday she gave up eating, drinking, and walking. I thought maybe she was just depressed from just getting over feeling SO  sick... Wrong... 

We brought my sweet girl, my fighter, to the vet Monday. The vet told me that she had began to shut down. Her body ate away at her muscle tissue and all her body fat and was beginning to eat away at her organs.  The vet told me that I could try to give her another antibiotic. She was either going to be on it for a very long time and she was going to get better or she was going to be on it and suffer at home with us. My Jasey Rae was a total 3.4 pounds... She had erratic breathing patterns, depression, abnormal kidney sizes, dehydration, malnourished, and underweight. The antibiotic wasn't guaranteed to work, or help at all. But it was an option, if it were to work it would save her life. My vet looked me in the eye and said "She's literary killing herself just to survive". Since I was the one begging to get the kitten my parents decided that it was my choice to do the antibiotic or not... I chose that putting her down was for the best... Now I've been living with these haunting thoughts "What if the antibiotic had worked?"  "What if I could have saved her life?" "She was just a baby in need of some love, and I gave up on her" "Did I make her suffer longer than I should have?" "Would it have been fair to her if it hadn't worked" 

Everyone keeps telling me that putting her down was the right thing to do, but I can't help regretting that I passed up the antibiotic. I did stay with my girl till the end. I stood by her the whole time, apologizing. Shortly after the doctor gave her the first injection I wanted to back out. Even before the put in the one that actually stops her heart... I wanted to back out. I wanted to change my mind. I have no idea if I did the right thing for my girl. She was just a baby. 

I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason and that God picked me for this kitten because she needed me and my love. But I'm living with such regret that I didn't try to help her more.  That I just gave up on her when things got bad. I feel awful that I let her suffer, but even worse that I just gave up on her. I don't know what to do. Although I only had her with me for a short time I feel like I just killed a life long friend... I don't know what to think, or how to feel... I've been in such pain since I let her go. I still go to check on her all the time... I feel so guilty..

I never meant for things to get this wrong. I never thought that such a sweet baby could be so sick... I loved her so much and I took her life away, I gave up when things got rough, unlike my fighter... Jasey Rae fought for her life with everything she had, and I just gave up on her... I live with such regret... I never in a million years thought that she could have gotten that sick in the amount of time she did. And to make matters worse I'm glad that she is gone... that I don't have to see her suffer..

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.  Please don't blame yourself.  You were faced with a very difficult decision, and the choice you made was out of love for your kitten.  My prayers are with you.    

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very, very sorry you had to make that horrible decision. I want you to know you did it out of love, you took on her pain and now will suffer so she could rest. Guilt and second guessing yourself is a normal reaction, it is a part of the grieving process. The vet stated the truth, she was dieing just trying to survive. My heart cries for you and what you are going through, but try to remember that she gave you a lot of love, you were her world, and she would not want you to remember her with such sadness, but to rejoice in the love you two shared. It will take a long time to heal the hole in your heart, but some day in the future you will open it again to another little soul in memory of your Jasey Rae, and she will send her love down upon you to help you love again. God made no mistake in choosing you, he knew that you would let her know what love was like, and would not let her suffer. God will bless you.... take care of yourself, I'll pray for you both. RIP sweet Jasey Rae!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss and that you were forced to make such a tough decision. I think your vet wouldn't have stated things in those terms if Jasey Rae had stood a real chance of surviving with an antibiotic. She knew love in her short life, and you did what you could to prevent her suffering.

Rest in peace, little Jasey Rae. You were loved and will be missed and remembered. :rbheart:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm so very, very sorry you had to make that horrible decision. I want you to know you did it out of love, you took on her pain and now will suffer so she could rest. Guilt and second guessing yourself is a normal reaction, it is a part of the grieving process. The vet stated the truth, she was dieing just trying to survive. My heart cries for you and what you are going through, but try to remember that she gave you a lot of love, you were her world, and she would not want you to remember her with such sadness, but to rejoice in the love you two shared. It will take a long time to heal the hole in your heart, but some day in the future you will open it again to another little soul in memory of your Jasey Rae, and she will send her love down upon you to help you love again. God made no mistake in choosing you, he knew that you would let her know what love was like, and would not let her suffer. God will bless you.... take care of yourself, I'll pray for you both. RIP sweet Jasey Rae!
The above are truly inspired words. Your sweet girl is with our other beloved TCS kitties who have crossed the Bridge, pain-free and happy again!  She knew that she was loved,so much so that you summoned the courage to do the BEST thing for HER even though it was so painful for you. Sometimes, true love is letting go, as they say.  I pray that you find comfort and healing very soon