Feeling Anxious About New Cat? Plus some litter box issues

JRGK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to the site, and to cat ownership!

So we recently (last couple days) brought home a seven month old kitten/young cat. Compared to what I've read/heard, we have totally lucked out with him. He is remarkably calm and content and although still has some of that kitten energy, it's nothing some good play time doesn't calm down. He likes to cuddle up next to me, and is perfectly content to snooze at my feet while I get work done.

But for some reason I am still ridden with anxiety over bringing him home. I had cats growing up, but this is my first cat as an adult. We kept him in one room (the room we intend to keep his litter box in full time) the first day to get him acclimated, but he was so curious about exploring the rest of the house that we let him roam around a bit the next day, bringing him back to that room at the end of the day. I also tried to bring him back throughout the day so he could see the litter box. But, of course, some time in that roaming, he peed on our bed. I had been trying to bring him to the litter box repeatedly, and although he's gone when I put him in it, I've never seen him use it on his own. I clean it quickly, and use the same litter we were told he'd been using before we got him. The only thing I can think of is that we got a litter box with higher sides (because I always hated stepping in cat litter growing up) and that maybe he isn't used to or is freaked out? Should I get a more standard pan just for the transition?

Anyway, this one thing has made me so worried about anything and everything I'm doing right or wrong. I worry that he's sleeping too much or grooming too much (or maybe not enough!), or that the little watery eye the vet said was probably a result of a new environment is somehow going to become a much bigger deal. And, of course, I am so worried about him peeing outside the litter box. I've been putting him in the litter box even more now, which of course makes me nervous that I'm doing it too much and that he'll now just hate it. We currently rent and are 100% allowed to have a cat, but of course it's somehow much more stressful to know that an accident could damage someone else's property and cost us a security deposit. And on top of all of this, I feel so guilty that I even have negative feelings associated with what is otherwise the most perfect little cat I could have hoped for!

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but does anyone have any tips for getting a new kitten used to a new litter box, and for calming down a cat parent?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome! Things sound very good so far, so don't despair!!! Have you tried to contact whoever was taking care of this cat to find out what type of litter and litterbox he was using before? That would be my first step. Also, since he is still so very new to your home, perhaps a second litterbox in another location would help? The general rule of thumb is 1 box per cat, plus one - so, 2 might be a good idea anyway.

About the watery eye - has he had a full check up by the vet you intend to use? Even if the place you got him from says he's been through a check up, it's always a good idea to have your own vet take a look at him as well. Plus, has he had all of his shots? If not, another reason to take him to your vet.

You need to ensure you completely remove the urine smell from your bed so as not to encourage him to go there again. Here are a few TCS articles you might be interested in.
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – Cat Articles
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – Cat Articles
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – Cat Articles

When you get a chance let us know his name and maybe give us a pic or two?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JRGK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for the quick response!

So yes, we did take him to our vet just to sort of establish a vet and make sure he was all good, and she said the watery eye was clear and likely just a result of him adjusting to a new environment with different smells, particles, etc. She did say to just watch it, and that it was possible he could have a slight abnormality with his eyelid, but that it didn't look red or irritated so to not worry (easier said than done for me!).

We also asked what litter he was using, and are using that, but it sounds like he was moved around a bit before we got him, so it's possible the latest litter was somewhat new to him too. And they said he was using a standard, uncovered litter box--could this be the issue? I would love to be able to have a litter box with better odor/tracking control, but of course would love for my cat to use it more :)

And of course! His name is Apollo. Here are some pictures! :)

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Apollo is gorgeous!! Good to hear he has been to the vets! Are you using a covered litterbox now? If so, and you've been told he was using an uncovered one, take the top off - that could cause confusion for him. And, yes also try a lower sided one for now, just in case that is the issue. Once he is used to your house, you can always introduce him to the higher sided box, by placing some of his pee/poop in the second box.

Odor control is mostly taken care of by frequent cleaning of 'debris' from the box, as well as monthly replacement of all the litter and box cleaning when you replace all of the litter. Everyone gets used to their own routines with this, you will find the correct routine for you and him as time passes!

Last edited: