Feel like the odds are against us...

frkrhe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 15 year old tabby was diagnosed with a blood clot in her right arm pit today. I noticed something was off with her when she couldn't put weight on her right front paw. It was also colder then the other paws. She will be taking a 1/2 a baby aspirin every other day for a week and then 2 times a week there after. She is taking phenobarbital for seizures from a mass in her head. She also takes enalapril for her heart and terbuterline for her breathing/asthma. She was also diagnosed with kidney disease today and will be eatting royal canin KD can food. She sleeps a lot (from age and the phenobarbital) and is limping due to the paw. But other wise she is acting like herself. I was just wondering if any one else has a cat with any of these conditions and how are they doing? Sometimes I feel the odds are stacked against us.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a lot going on for an older cat, but don't count her out quite yet! While I don't recount any members whose cats have been battling ALL of these things, I can certainly remember cats with more than one of them who did well for many months, sometimes several years. All the two of you can do is the best the two of you can do. Take this one day at a time, and treasure every hour. May there be many, many of them left!

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby. So much at once. If it is any encouragement to you, my sweet Kokanee lived for 2 more years after being diagnosed with this bone tumor. She was on Gabapentin and Prednisone daily for the last year. I also have a dog that takes Phenabarbitol for seizures and out other dog has a liver shunt. Just love them, is all we can do.
20210817_112746.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
F frkrhe Though I have not had the experience of caring for a cat with any of these medical problems, I just want to offer *Prayers* from the heart for her and the best thoughts for you both. Fifteen is really not terribly old for a cat in these times, but health matters can affect anyone, of any age. Surround her with love and comfort and best care. She knows you love her. And yes, one day at a time.
OopsyDaisy OopsyDaisy My heartfelt condolences for your loss of Kokanee.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 15 year old tabby was diagnosed with a blood clot in her right arm pit today. I noticed something was off with her when she couldn't put weight on her right front paw. It was also colder then the other paws. She will be taking a 1/2 a baby aspirin every other day for a week and then 2 times a week there after. She is taking phenobarbital for seizures from a mass in her head. She also takes enalapril for her heart and terbuterline for her breathing/asthma. She was also diagnosed with kidney disease today and will be eatting royal canin KD can food. She sleeps a lot (from age and the phenobarbital) and is limping due to the paw. But other wise she is acting like herself. I was just wondering if any one else has a cat with any of these conditions and how are they doing? Sometimes I feel the odds are stacked against us.
I'm so sorry for your kitty with all her issues.
I know how hard it is when one issue comes after the other, and it seems that everything is against us, that the world is going to collapse on us. And we ask ourselves, why me? What next?

The cat in my avatar, Lola, was diagnosed with CKD at the age of nearly 6, she was on renal food (wet and dry), and daily medication (Fortekor), sub-Q's every other day, supplements, vet checks every 4 months, for the rest of her life.
She was prone to cysts on her skin, and some of them would grow quite big, and we had to remove three of them.

Then, at the age of 11, she was diagnosed with a carcinoma inside her nose, we had to treat it with an invasive therapy, which was quite in contrast with her CKD, but she coped well, and she recovered from this carcinoma.
Only 4 years later (beginning of 2016) she developed BP issues, all of a sudden, and she lost her sight due to it, though her blindess would come and go on a rather weekly basis, the reason for this was never understood, though she was seen by three different ophathalomogists.
Shortly after this (two months later, April 2016) she was diagnosed with another carcinoma (in one of her adrenal glands), and was going to die. This carcinoma, we found out later, was the reason for her BP spikes. Luckily we got access to a special surgery that saved her life. It was a 4-month battle, but we/she won again.
Unfortunately this victory was shortly lived, and two months later (October 2016) another carcinoma was diagnosed, and seven months later she went to the Bridge.

Yes, sometimes we think that up there we have nobody caring about us and our pets, and we feel alone and abandoned, carried away by a bad fate.
It is in those moments that we may also feel like chosen ones. Despite all the tragedies and desperation coming on us, we may feel proud of ourselves.
One of the vets who visited my sweet Lola said that God was putting me to the test and that my cat would have died much sooner if she had been in the wrong hands. She lived to be 17 only because she was in my care, they said, you proved to be the best guardian for your cat.
Nonetheless I keep wondering why her? She had no faults. I could accept a punishment for something I have done, and deserve to suffer, but why her?

Anyway, I'm sorry, I'm digressing.
To answer your question, yes, I've had this cat with a lot of issues, but she coped well, and was a fighter till the last day of her life.
Take lots of care of your kitty, never lose your hopes, keep in mind that it isn't over till it's over.
Best of luck!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for a heartfelt and compassionate post, Antonio65 Antonio65 . It resonates so deeply, I am sure, with so many of us who know that our beloved cats are indeed innocent, unconditionally loyal and loving, and without fault of any kind. We do not know so much as we try to navigate this often harsh life. So much is hidden from us. Maybe it will be revealed in due time. I do not know. It seems so unjust and unfair that these beloved ones suffer, while evil people prosper and grow old, rich, fat and greedy, seemingly without any kind of justice coming to them. It will come, perhaps not in this earthly life, which is so hard for us to accept. But it WILL come.
And what else will come? Freedom from suffering, pain, and the memory of them, in a place we cannot even begin to imagine. I have seen it in a dream, but even then, it cannot compare to what awaits. I pray we will bear this in our minds.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your posts always touch my heart, but this one in particular resonated deeply with me. When my only son was killed 21 years ago, (traffic accident/bicycle, hit and run), I was shattered. There was no peace to be found. I could not bear to be in my own skin. All I did was pace and pray, literally for miles. It felt like I was praying into a void. I have never felt so lost and alone. I couldn’t find my beautiful child and now, I couldn’t find my God. My precious daughter and my husband were some consolation, but I was an utterly broken, pitiful thing. I had reached the bottom, nowhere to turn, the only words left to pray were those of absolute surrender to God’s will. That night, I finally slept, three weeks after Andrew died. When I woke, there was that blissful second before remembering that he was dead. That morning I remembered yet again, but this time, everything was different. I felt the most complete Love, peace and joy surrounding me, holding me, comforting me, that I have ever known. The only way to describe it was like a cocoon of Love, and I knew Who had taken the wheel. There are no words in our vocabularies to describe that Love, there is none like it on this earth. It was not of this world, I knew instantly I was feeling the touch of God, there is NO mistaking it. Such boundless Love and the deepest joy I’ve ever known. And I was blessed with my cocoon for three straight months, without pause. Three weeks later, I returned to work, where countless people told me they were shocked at how “radiant” I looked. It wasn’t me, of course, it was the Presence of God in my frail body, in my sad face.

The morning I awoke to find my cocoon gone was the second worst moment of my life. Oh such fear! I prayed for it to come back, saying I can’t do this without You, without my cocoon. But I could, of course. My work here wasn’t done, and how could I grow and learn while that utter holiness surrounded me? I couldn’t. Six months later came my cancer diagnosis and I was given 18 months to live. I smiled, because I knew better. It is now 20 years later, my oncologist calls me a miracle patient, but really, how could cancer win in a body whose cells had been permeated by God for three straight months? No contest. I wrote this to assure you that we are headed to the most indescribable joy. Our earthly imaginations are too small to remotely get it right. Pure, unadulterated, unconditional amazing grace and Love, laughter, happiness, joy joy joy - every good thing in this world multiplied by at least a million, and NONE of the bad. Every day of our lives we are one step closer to Home, and it will all have been more than worth it. I have found such peace knowing that my precious boy is a part of that Great Joy. By the Grace of God, I was given a unique experience to share, and I know you will receive it as the gift it is meant to be, through me, from Him, to your beautiful, light-filled souls. :redheartpump:

Last edited:

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Praying so hard for you both. You are so strong, and you were chosen to be her mom.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your posts always touch my heart, but this one in particular resonated deeply with me. When my only son was killed 21 years ago, (traffic accident/bicycle, hit and run), I was shattered. There was no peace to be found. I could not bear to be in my own skin. All I did was pace and pray, literally for miles. It felt like I was praying into a void. I have never felt so lost and alone. I couldn’t find my beautiful child and now, I couldn’t find my God. My precious daughter and my husband were some consolation, but I was an utterly broken, pitiful thing. I had reached the bottom, nowhere to turn, the only words left to pray were those of absolute surrender to God’s will. That night, I finally slept, three weeks after Andrew died. When I woke, there was that blissful second before remembering that he was dead. That morning I remembered yet again, but this time, everything was different. I felt the most complete Love, peace and joy surrounding me, holding me, comforting me, that I have ever known. The only way to describe it was like a cocoon of Love, and I knew Who had taken the wheel. There are no words in our vocabularies to describe that Love, there is none like it on this earth. It was not of this world, I knew instantly I was feeling the touch of God, there is NO mistaking it. Such boundless Love and the deepest joy I’ve ever known. And I was blessed with my cocoon for three straight months, without pause. Three weeks later, I returned to work, where countless people told me they were shocked at how “radiant” I looked. It wasn’t me, of course, it was the Presence of God in my frail body, in my sad face.

The morning I awoke to find my cocoon gone was the second worst moment of my life. Oh such fear! I prayed for it to come back, saying I can’t do this without You, without my cocoon. But I could, of course. My work here wasn’t done, and how could I grow and learn while that utter holiness surrounded me? I couldn’t. Six months later came my cancer diagnosis and I was given 18 months to live. I smiled, because I knew better. It is now 20 years later, my oncologist calls me a miracle patient, but really, how could cancer win in a body whose cells had been permeated by God for three straight months? No contest. I wrote this to assure you that we are headed to the most indescribable joy. Our earthly imaginations are too small to remotely get it right. Pure, unadulterated, unconditional amazing grace and Love, laughter, happiness, joy joy joy - every good thing in this world multiplied by at least a million, and NONE of the bad. Every day of our lives we are one step closer to Home, and it will all have been more than worth it. I have found such peace knowing that my precious boy is a part of that Great Joy. By the Grace of God, I was given a unique experience to share, and I know you will receive it as the gift it is meant to be, through me, from Him, to your beautiful, light-filled souls. :redheartpump:
YES. YOU KNOW. :heartshape:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the Grace of God, I was given a unique experience to share, and I know you will receive it as the gift it is meant to be, through me, from Him, to your beautiful, light-filled souls. :redheartpump:
Your amazing post casts a totally different light on what the meaning of our life is and how to face the difficulties we encounter along our path.
I wish I could keep my faith as you can with yours.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems so unjust and unfair that these beloved ones suffer, while evil people prosper and grow old, rich, fat and greedy, seemingly without any kind of justice coming to them. It will come, perhaps not in this earthly life, which is so hard for us to accept. But it WILL come.
These words are so true and amazing! Thank you tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 :hugs:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These words are so true and amazing! Thank you tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 :hugs:
You're so welcome. It is promised!!! And actually people who are cruel, violent, intolerant and hateful are already in the hell of their own making. They cannot possibly be happy or content with that poisonous way of thinking and acting. I just wish, and pray, that they could be stopped from harming others, but apparently this is something we cannot know the reasons for. We are supposed to stop them when we can, but of course so many times, we cannot.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your amazing post casts a totally different light on what the meaning of our life is and how to face the difficulties we encounter along our path.
I wish I could keep my faith as you can with yours.
Don’t get me wrong, life is tough, it gets to me too, but I have learned a couple of things along the way. My daughter and I have a little phrase - “Let go and let God.“ Whether we can see it or not, He’s got this. When we stop trying to “fix“ everything, when we realize it’s all in His hands anyway, when we give our fears and pain and sorrow, those awful burdens, to Him, when we do that TRULY, when we take our busy hands away and turn our busy minds off and simply surrender, that is when the miracles happen.

For most of my life, I believed in God, felt that He had my back, but bopped along my merry way, my very easy life, not always praying simple prayers of thanks and love, just living my life - but boy did my knees hit the floor when I needed Him! Then I would get up, rinse and repeat. Eventually, I came to realize that I was dropping to my knees so much, the only thing that made any kind of sense was to STAY THERE - stay on my knees with an open heart and total trust, knowing that He is with me through it all. I pray that His will, not mine, be done. You would be stunned at what can happen when you accept His will. It may not always have the happy ending you wish for, but you will be given the strength to deal with any outcome. When the miracles happen, I can promise you they will come from the last place and in the last way you can imagine. God has an amazing sense of humor, I LOVE watching Him work, it blows my mind and often makes me laugh out loud in delight.

Spiritual growth requires work, just like anything else. We are SO unconditionally loved, He has infinite compassion. Believe that and go from there. I feel that for me, prayer is when I talk to God, but meditation is when He speaks to me. No matter what your religion or lack of one, my perspective of this experience we are all having on this earth was radically changed by A Course in Miracles. It isn’t for everyone, but if it is, you will know it, and it will take you places you never imagined. It’s a spiritual self-study guide, available on Amazon, I use the Combined Volume edition, costs about $15. We are NOT human beings having the occasional spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having an earthly experience.

Don’t you realize that your posts show the power and beauty of your own soul? I see it, so easily. I recognize you. You blaze with light. You are already set upon your path, you may just not realize it yet.

I have this framed and read it and take it to heart frequently:

“On the darkest days, when I feel inadequate, unloved and unworthy, I remember Whose daughter I am…..and I straighten my crown.”

~ Judy

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t get me wrong, life is tough, it gets to me too, but I have learned a couple of things along the way. My daughter and I have a little phrase - “Let go and let God.“ Whether we can see it or not, He’s got this. When we stop trying to “fix“ everything, when we realize it’s all in His hands anyway, when we give our fears and pain and sorrow, those awful burdens, to Him, when we do that TRULY, when we take our busy hands away and turn our busy minds off and simply surrender, that is when the miracles happen.

For most of my life, I believed in God, felt that He had my back, but bopped along my merry way, my very easy life, not always praying simple prayers of thanks and love, just living my life - but boy did my knees hit the floor when I needed Him! Then I would get up, rinse and repeat. Eventually, I came to realize that I was dropping to my knees so much, the only thing that made any kind of sense was to STAY THERE - stay on my knees with an open heart and total trust, knowing that He is with me through it all. I pray that His will, not mine, be done. You would be stunned at what can happen when you accept His will. It may not always have the happy ending you wish for, but you will be given the strength to deal with any outcome. When the miracles happen, I can promise you they will come from the last place and in the last way you can imagine. God has an amazing sense of humor, I LOVE watching Him work, it blows my mind and often makes me laugh out loud in delight.

Spiritual growth requires work, just like anything else. We are SO unconditionally loved, He has infinite compassion. Believe that and go from there. I feel that for me, prayer is when I talk to God, but meditation is when He speaks to me. No matter what your religion or lack of one, my perspective of this experience we are all having on this earth was radically changed by A Course in Miracles. It isn’t for everyone, but if it is, you will know it, and it will take you places you never imagined. It’s a spiritual self-study guide, available on Amazon, I use the Combined Volume edition, costs about $15. We are NOT human beings having the occasional spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having an earthly experience.

Don’t you realize that your posts show the power and beauty of your own soul? I see it, so easily. I recognize you. You blaze with light. You are already set upon your path, you may just not realize it yet.

I have this framed and read it and take it to heart frequently:

“On the darkest days, when I feel inadequate, unloved and unworthy, I remember Whose daughter I am…..and I straighten my crown.”

~ Judy
So beautifully and eloquently put.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So beautifully and eloquently put.
Oh, thank you, and here comes life intruding yet again! Now at lunchtime, my diabetic boy and my little tortie who never encountered a food she didn’t like are both refusing to eat two different foods. She threw up twice this morning, highly unusual for her. I’ve given her slippery elm this morning and just now via oral syringe, which will calm any inflammation in her digestive tract and contains nutrients. She may have to have pedialyte later. She had a complete blood panel done last week at her wellness check and her numbers were perfect. If not eating by tomorrow, off to the vet she goes. So, praying for these little ones, for patience and for guidance. AND for inner peace, lol!

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What is going on with your little tabby girl? She is such a trooper! I’ve been praying for you both. Hugs.