Feedings

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For people who feed there cat every 12 hours do they ever vomit?

I have been trying to feed my cat less times, and I noticed when I feed him in the morning he will throw up, I have tried a slow feeder but he won't eat at it.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he throw up, or does he regurgitate? Vomiting happens some time after eating, with food that is at least partially digested. Regurgitation happens soon after eating with undigested food. Or do you mean he vomits bile on an empty stomach prior to eating?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Maurey Maurey it is right after eating and the food is whole.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m guessing he’s gorging on it?
Is it wet or dry food? With dry, might be worth trying a very simple puzzle feeder, though no guarantee he’ll take to one if he refusing a slow feeder bowl. You could try cutting somewhat large holes in a clean water bottle, and show him that rolling it around drops food out.
For wet food, you can try smushing it down onto the plate, rather than putting it in a mound so that it takes more time to eat.
For either type, you could put something in his bowl, like a ball, so he has to eat around it, elevate his bowl (this helps with my guys), or give him his portion by the spoonfool so he can’t vacuum it up.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, my cat used to eat too quickly and throw up when I only fed her twice a day. She would also get hangry and sometimes drank too much water in the morning (trying to fill up her tummy?) and would throw that up. I feed her 4 times a day now (plus a 3 a.m. 15-kibble snack from a timed feeder-CatMate). Maybe an early morning snack before you wake up could help with the puking -- he might eat breakfast more slowly if he doesn't feel like he's starving.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a morning scarf-n-barfer myself. Maybe I should try giving them a snack before I get up, too. I feed them 3 or 4 times a day now, but the morning snack sounds like a good idea.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats in the wild eat up to 12 small meals a day. When you feed only twice a day, it's no wonder he gorges himself. Before my angel Krista had lymphoma and was on steroids and was hungry all the time, I found four meals plus two timed feeder snacks was just perfect for her. Usually it was first breakfast at 6am and second breakfast at 9 or 10 am. She would get an afternoon snack in a timed feeder. Then first dinner was 6 or 7 pm with second dinner being before bedtime around 10 pm. She would get an overnight snack in a timed feeder as well so I didn't get a paw in the face at 2am. Sometimes I still got that paw in the face because she wanted me to pop the feeder early for her. 🤦‍♂️ 😹

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Vomiting almost immediately after eating happens when cats eat too fast. When they eat too fast, they take in lots of air as cats usually swallow food rather than chew on them. The other thing could be hairball.

Also if the cat as been hungry for a long time, it could result in vomiting after eating and you find bile following behind.