Feeding

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have had our cat for a few months, we adopted her. She was starved and mistreated. She tries to eat EVERYTHING. When i eat she tries to get into my food, the other day she decided to shred her bag of cat treats open and eat them all, she eats cat litter crystals, pieces from toys and literally anything she can get. I feed her at least 3 times a day everyday. She will eat until she pukes. I need a good feeding schedule for her and tips on how to get her to stop eating everything. I feed her 1/2 a cup of dry food in the morning, same in the evening(following amount recommended on the bag) and in the middle i feed some wet cat food. The last time she was weighed she was 7.8 pounds, im sure she has gained at least a few pounds by this point. She is a year old. She is the most affectionate cat ive ever met. I just need to fix the eating problem. I'm feeding her the fromm brand cat food in dry and sheeba cuts in gravy as the wet. (not looking for opinions on the food im using, maybe the amount but not the brand.)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you give her more frequent small meals of the wet food? Keep everything else locked up - and maybe try and change the litter to something she won't eat. Also, if you have a bathroom scale you can utilize it to get a weight for her. Have you talked to her vet about pica?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Can you give her more frequent small meals of the wet food? Keep everything else locked up - and maybe try and change the litter to something she won't eat. Also, if you have a bathroom scale you can utilize it to get a weight for her. Have you talked to her vet about pica?
No i have not wasnt aware that was a thing in cats. If it continues to happen i will make a vet appointment. Thank you

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know how things go, we're keeping our fingers crossed for her and for you!

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is the best wet food for cats? I need something inexpensive, i feed dry with freeze dried rabbit toppers and for the wet I feed Sheba. I thought it was a good brand but apparently its not. The dry brand im using has wet but its too expensive, 2.50 a can. I've been looking at tiki cat and other options. Whats the best wet food thats not too expensive?

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tiki Cat is a good brand, but I'm not sure if it would fit in your budget. I think their fish flavors and their chicken pouches are a bit cheaper though. It helps to buy them by the case on Chewy or Amazon.

My cats have also liked Against the Grain. Some of their formulas are hit or miss in quality according to catfooddb. If you use the link posted above you can find the ones that are 9-10 stars (paws). Chewy sells the chicken samba flavor 2.8oz cans for just over a dollar a piece. Edit: $1.04 to be exact :)

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tiki Cat is a good brand, but I'm not sure if it would fit in your budget. I think their fish flavors and their chicken pouches are a bit cheaper though. It helps to buy them by the case on Chewy or Amazon.

My cats have also liked Against the Grain. Some of their formulas are hit or miss in quality according to catfooddb. If you use the link posted above you can find the ones that are 9-10 stars (paws). Chewy sells the chicken samba flavor 2.8oz cans for just over a dollar a piece. Edit: $1.04 to be exact :)
Thank you! I looked on amazon at tiki cat and a case of 12 is 13.93, about 1.16 a can I think. which is decent. I will be getting those as soon as she finishes the other. I pay 89 cents per package for sheba, can get a pack of 12 for around 10 dollars, but there's 24 servings for the perfect portions which is why i chose sheba. Thank you for the recommendations!

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I looked on amazon at tiki cat and a case of 12 is 13.93, about 1.16 a can I think. which is decent. I will be getting those as soon as she finishes the other. I pay 89 cents per package for sheba, can get a pack of 12 for around 10 dollars, but there's 24 servings for the perfect portions which is why i chose sheba. Thank you for the recommendations!
No problem, hopefully your cat likes them. Mine have gotten pickier over the years and I've found it cheaper to just make their food myself, but I will say I've always had better luck with the fish flavored Tiki cans then the chicken pouches. Especially the shrimp one, there are actual tiny shrimps in there!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie OMG someone else can see it! Those little Sheba packages are beyond irritating. They have splattered in my face, bounced across the room, and ricocheted onto my clothes. I resorted to a small paring knife run around the inner lip of the container, but then you do have a dirty knife.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I mostly use Fancy Feast and Friskies because I feed outdoor cats as well as indoors, so that makes economic sense to me. When I am able to find it, I get Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet wet food which I think is reasonably priced. I buy Weruva and Tiki Cat when I can afford it. 🙂

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Best is subjective because it depends on what your cats will eat and can eat. Some cats hate certain flavors that some cats love. Some cats can't have certain ingredients that other cats are fine with.

Personally I try to avoid grains and vegetables as well as carrageenan and a handful of other ingredients but I'll make concessions if something is great in every other way but has the "bad" ingredient in a small quantity.

I actually just picked up a couple new (to me) brands to try with my girls that look pretty good/clean (for my standards): Essence and Koha (their limited ingredient pates), they were ~$1.70/can locally.

I also like Merrick (Purrfect Bistro line), Tiki Cat (After Dark or the chicken shreds), and Weruva (Paw Lickin' line).

I do add in some cheaper like Friskies and Fancy Feast sometimes because it's cheap and easy to find. The Fancy Feast Naturals line is actually pretty good/clean (for my standards) but I hate that they add fish to everything.

If your kitties have any special ingredient needs or allergies, this chart is a LIFESAVER: Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We usually just link the thread. The link to the chart is the first post on there. It's also pinned at the top of the Nutrition Forum.
Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

And I wish my cats would eat Koha limited. All three of them won't go near it. I've never found a food they dislike more. :disappointed:

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We usually just link the thread. The link to the chart is the first post on there. It's also pinned at the top of the Nutrition Forum.
Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

And I wish my cats would eat Koha limited. All three of them won't go near it. I've never found a food they dislike more. :disappointed:
Thanks, I figured it out right after I posted, of course, lol.

I haven't fed them the Koha yet but fingers crossed they'll like it. I'm sure one will, she will eat literally anything I put in front of her. The other cat is more picky.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I figured it out right after I posted, of course, lol.

I haven't fed them the Koha yet but fingers crossed they'll like it. I'm sure one will, she will eat literally anything I put in front of her. The other cat is more picky.
Hopefully they do so it doesn't go to waste. I also have a boy that eats anything but even he wouldn't touch any of the favors. I originally got duck, beef, and lamb from their website. Let me know if your cats like it!

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried many brands for my cat, she turns her nose up at a lot of expensive brands. She's a cheap girl lol. I just started feeding her Sheba and she loves it. Was feeding her Friskies but she hates it now. I'm on a budget so I do my best.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two seem to enjoy...
Tiny Tiger
American Journey
Weruva (but Chicken and Beef flavor only)
Instinct.