Feeding Stations/Feral Cat Shelters...

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have some pics of the Feeding Stations I've been making and also the Cat Shelters too. On the floor of the Feeding Stations, I have been putting that "puffy" shelf liner, which keeps the bowls from slipping AND insulates the floor a bit, for the colder weather (for kitty paws!). I use the almost clear plastic ones, as they can "see" out through them, and this is important for kitties, as they are VERY watchful, for predators, all the time! For the Shelters, I have been putting the word out, for anyone who has a shipment of food from places like Omaha Steaks (an online food seller) to pass them on to me. They make GREAT Kitty Shelters for cold weather!! You just cut the door in them, with an "Exacto Knife" and then duct tape the lid on it. I put duct tape around the "door" entrance too, and line the "floor" of the shelter with old woolen cloths. I use them because I check them/replace them daily, during the winter, as I don't want them to be wet. I collect them and wash them all together, dry them and return them to the kitty Shelters the next day! Wool wicks moisture away from their bodies and keeps them warm too.

I went to Goodwill, and told them what I needed them for and they gave me a H-U-G-E bagful of old woolen items. I cut them up for rags and they have worked just GREAT! Hope this helps some of you out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to say, that I place these out of the wind, AND near a wall, in the abandoned grain mill building, where I take care of the feral colony there. But if you need weight in them to keep them upright, put a brick on the floor of them, and cover the brick up well...... I have done this too, and it works fine!

ipw533

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those can work fine, but keep them elevated a few feet off of the ground and use straw rather than woolens--the latter retain moisture, which defeats the purpose of keeping the cats warm....

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
poster--IPW533
VERY good points on keeping them up off the ground. Snow and rain can and will, get into the best of shelters, otherwise! Mine are in an abandoned grain mill and are out of the rain and snow. It is just still, VERY cold up there, with the wind whipping through the old mill building! So, the shelters are MUCH-needed and MUCH-used too!!! Straw is good--very good. I only use the woolen rags, as I really DO check them daily and replace any damp woolen rags! I have found the wool wicks away moisture, but even then, I STILL change them daily. I wash them in bleach water (separate load from ANY other clothing being washed!!!), dry them well, and bring them back to "recycle'' them in the kitty shelters again!
Hope these ideas will help some of you, in figuring out something that will work well for your feral kitties too!

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just was looking back and this post is still here, but the Cat Feeding Station picture was gone. So, am re-posting it. Again, the cats much prefer the clear tubs so they can see around them, while they are eating. I use a hairdryer on the plastic of a storage tub, when I am cutting it for a Feeding Station or a Shelter Box, (if I am not using a thick Styrofoam packing box for a Shelter Box).
I used an old scissors to poke the holes in the plastic of the tub, to thread though it with some industrial ties, to hold the "roof" on it. You can caulk at the seams, to keep rain from drizzling inside.
new pics 013.jpg