Feeding Schedule For A Kitten+water Need

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,-11 weeks kitten-
I'm feeding my kitten free-choice so when he asks for food I feed him.
Idk I think the scheduled feeding would be better,

Do u think it's really better to feed him at specific times a specific number of meals?
and If yes, how many meals should I give him and how much time should be between meals?

I feed him Raw+canned food. Does he really need to drink water?
In another post, I've been advised to stop giving the kitten his milk(which he loves so much) so he starts drinking water, Isn't the milk has water within it already?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Water is essential. You must provide a bowl of clean fresh water every day even if your cat doesn't drink from it.

What kind of milk are you giving again? Cow's milk is generally a no-no because cats lack the digestive enzyme needed to break down the lactose in milk. Goat's milk is ok if a cat can tolerate it. Kitten milk replacer is fine for young kittens. Slowly wean your kitten off the milk. Maybe water it down with some water.

Scheduled feeding mini meals through the day is fine. Since raw can't sit out for very long, feed that only when you are at home. Canned food can be put into a programmable timed feeder for the in between raw meals when you might not be at home. How often to give meals varies for every cat and kitten. Try spending a day at home with your kitten to see how often he wants to eat. Every 4 hours or so is probably typical.

When my Aby was a kitten, he ate 4 raw meals a day: breakfast, dinner 12 hours later, and a post-dinner meal, and a bedtime meal. He was completely fine with not having anything to eat between breakfast and dinner. I left canned food out in a feeder for awhile but he never ate it (or maybe he didn't figure it out) so I stopped leaving a snack. When he was around 6 months old or so he needed less food so he only got 2 meals a day plus a small post-dinner snack and a bedtime snack.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Water is essential. You must provide a bowl of clean fresh water every day even if your cat doesn't drink from it.

What kind of milk are you giving again? Cow's milk is generally a no-no because cats lack the digestive enzyme needed to break down the lactose in milk. Goat's milk is ok if a cat can tolerate it. Kitten milk replacer is fine for young kittens. Slowly wean your kitten off the milk. Maybe water it down with some water.

Scheduled feeding mini meals through the day is fine. Since raw can't sit out for very long, feed that only when you are at home. Canned food can be put into a programmable timed feeder for the in between raw meals when you might not be at home. How often to give meals varies for every cat and kitten. Try spending a day at home with your kitten to see how often he wants to eat. Every 4 hours or so is probably typical.

When my Aby was a kitten, he ate 4 raw meals a day: breakfast, dinner 12 hours later, and a post-dinner meal, and a bedtime meal. He was completely fine with not having anything to eat between breakfast and dinner. I left canned food out in a feeder for awhile but he never ate it (or maybe he didn't figure it out) so I stopped leaving a snack. When he was around 6 months old or so he needed less food so he only got 2 meals a day plus a small post-dinner snack and a bedtime snack.
I wish my kitten eat only raw food,he can't eat it alone.
my kitten's need for the food isn't the same usually but I know that I can make him adapt timed-feeding, am I right?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought my kitten home at 16 weeks. She ate when I got up at 6am, before I went to work at 9am, then after work at 6pm and before bed between 9-10pm. On my days off, I usually fed her an extra meal in the middle of the day. I have raised her on raw food only.

Cats will adjust somewhat to your schedule. An 11 week old should probably eat at least 4 meals a day, but he would be ready to go to 3 meals a day in a few weeks if that's more convenient for you. I think I moved my kitten to 3 meals a day around 6 months old. The smaller they are, the less their tummies can hold at one meal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will give him whatever he needs even if he needs 6 meals
I'll be back to work by tomorrow from a long off
so he will get used to my schedule