Feeding questions, 2 week old kittens

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A sloppy mix of chicken, rice and formula probably would be the easiest to start with. Expect them to walk in their food at first. Kittens are messy when they first start to eat on their own. They might not be quite ready to eat on their own, but at 3 1/2 weeks, it's worth a try. You possibly will have to try feeding them off a finger at first, then lead them to the food dish on subsequent attempts.

One of the cats I have now started eating on her own somewhere about the age yours are (don't really know how old she was--mama abandoned her under my car).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I find that 5 weeks is the earliest kittens will really eat soft foods. The sloppier the better initially as they learn. Here is a helpful video:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JaySnow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A sloppy mix of chicken, rice and formula probably would be the easiest to start with. Expect them to walk in their food at first. Kittens are messy when they first start to eat on their own. They might not be quite ready to eat on their own, but at 3 1/2 weeks, it's worth a try. You possibly will have to try feeding them off a finger at first, then lead them to the food dish on subsequent attempts.

One of the cats I have now started eating on her own somewhere about the age yours are (don't really know how old she was--mama abandoned her under my car).
Thank you! Yes, that was pretty much how the process went with the last bottle babies I fostered two years ago. They took to it pretty quickly but it was very messy!

JaySnow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find that 5 weeks is the earliest kittens will really eat soft foods. The sloppier the better initially as they learn. Here is a helpful video:

Thank you! Definitely a lot of good info in that vid. I think I will try it out when they reach 4 weeks and see how they do with it. If they're not up to it yet I'll try again when they're a bit older. And as vince suggested I think a sloppy mix of chicken rice and formula will do them good.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can find canned kitten food that would probably be better than kibble since it's already soupy, add some water and mix it to a slury.

JaySnow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Small update! Kittens have been doing very well, gaining weight steadily. I tried to introduce them to some solid food a couple of days ago when they turned 4 weeks old but they were having none of it. I'll try again when they're a bit older.

I've been feeding them every 4 hours, at this stage in their lives would it be fine to stop feeding them overnight? From what I've read most people stop doing so at around this age, but they're taking into account the fact that the kittens are already eating some amount of solid food. I'd just like to make sure!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would top them up before you go to bed and let them go 6 hours for 2-3 days and see how they do. Then try stretching it to 8 hours.

They may be more interested in mush on a plate at 5 weeks. Re-watch the weaning video also.

Most kittens are chewing at the nipple and really ready for soft foods at 6 weeks, and will begin lapping their milk from a bowl then too, but some caregivers will still give a bottle here and there depending on the individual kitten’s progress.

They’re getting close though!

JaySnow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would top them up before you go to bed and let them go 6 hours for 2-3 days and see how they do. Then try stretching it to 8 hours.

They may be more interested in mush on a plate at 5 weeks. Re-watch the weaning video also.

Most kittens are chewing at the nipple and really ready for soft foods at 6 weeks, and will begin lapping their milk from a bowl then too, but some caregivers will still give a bottle here and there depending on the individual kitten’s progress.

They’re getting close though!
Thank you! Will definitely rewatch the weaning video. I'm gonna try and see if I can start bottle feeding them a sloppy gruel made with mashed up boiled chicken and the formula to get them used to the taste. After that I'll try introducing it to them in a shallow bowl. Hope that's okay! I've had no luck finding canned kitty food :(

I notice that they chew at the syringe pretty frequently, and they all have managed to lick formula off my fingers, so I don't think starting them on solid food is too far off! But I'm trying my best not to rush things and let them go at it at their own pace.

JaySnow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! Yesterday I was running low on formula and didn't have enough milk to make more, I only had enough for two more feedings. Since their premolars had come in I figured I could try to give them some solid food again.

I hardboiled one egg and mashed it with a fork very thoroughly, and to that I added some of the formula. It was a very mushy, sloppy mix so I figured it'd be great for them to start.

To my total surprise when I offered it to them, two of them started eating right away! They first started suckling it but after a while started lapping some of it up, even chewing on some of the bigger egg bits.

One of them is still figuring it out. She licked at it and then started biting the shallow

JaySnow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! Yesterday I was running low on formula and didn't have enough milk to make more, I only had enough for two more feedings. Since their premolars had come in I figured I could try to give them some solid food again.

I hardboiled one egg and mashed it with a fork very thoroughly, and to that I added some of the formula. It was a very mushy, sloppy mix so I figured it'd be great for them to start.

To my total surprise when I offered it to them, two of them started eating right away! They first started suckling it but after a while started lapping some of it up, even chewing on some of the bigger egg bits.

One of them is still figuring it out. She licked at it and then started biting the shallow
Sorry, didn't finish the post. She licked at it and started biting the bowl but didn't eat any. Of course I fed her the usual amount of formula to make up for it, and I'm still supplementing the other two who are eating solids with some of the formula to make sure they're well hydrated, but they've all gained weight as of today!

I'm gonna try out the chicken and rice mush next to see if that entices the kitten who isn't eating to get her started.

I'll keep you all updated on what happens next but I thought I'd share their progress, they're doing so well 🤗 thank you all so much for the advice

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is wonderful to hear! I hope they continue to progress well. They are very lucky kittens to have you. Thank you for the update, and do keep us posted.

JaySnow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news everyone! I offered them some mush made with mashed boiled chicken and their formula and all of them ate until full, even the one who was reluctant to eat last time! I gently put her face in front of the food and after she sniffed it she very quickly took to eating. It's still very messy for them (a lot of chicken was spilled today) and they take a while to eat all of it, but they've taken to eating solids pretty smoothly all things considered.

Here are some photos of them, names are Domino and Fluffy (Fluffy was the one who started eating today). The pictures I took of the other kitten (name's Rollito, spanish for Little Roll) ended up being all blurry, I owe you that one!

Attachments

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
They are babies, babies are messy that's why they sell splat mats for under high chairs. You could probably use a splat mat for the kittens too.

JaySnow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are babies, babies are messy that's why they sell splat mats for under high chairs. You could probably use a splat mat for the kittens too.
I will look into it! As of now I'm using some thin towels and some newspaper to help make clean up easier.

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG, soooo adorable! I'm glad it turned out well! You really saved those babies' lives, as most of the time, kittens taken away from Mamma that young don't survive. Kudos to you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Doggie pee pads are a lifesaver in my home. Just throw them away after using.

JaySnow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! Kittens are doing great as of today, running around and being very playful. Came here with a couple of questions. I've been supplementing them with formula through a syringe every couple of feedings to prevent dehydration, but as they're nearing 6 weeks I feel like it's time to start weaning them off the syringe so they drink and eat all on their own.

I asked my vet for possible options to feed them, and she said that since canned kitten food is extremely rare around here, and dry food is too rough for their teeth, boiled chicken and rice mashed up would be good for now, so I plan to start feeding them that soon. Before I just did formula and chicken.

Would it be wise to keep adding formula to the food for a while? Every time I've offered them a shallow dish of water they're not very interested in it, but it might be because they're extremely well hydrated as I always add some formula to their food. Should I stop giving them formula and try to teach them to lap up water on their own?

Any help is appreciated!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would continue to add formula to their meals. They will learn to drink water on their own eventually. If you do want to offer dry food, soften it with formula for now.

JaySnow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would continue to add formula to their meals. They will learn to drink water on their own eventually. If you do want to offer dry food, soften it with formula for now.
I thought so too! Today I offered them water before their feeding and they drank a bit, but they get all wet trying to lap it up! I think they'll figure it out soon.