Feeding one pouch a day

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I was wondering if I’m feeding my cat right? She gets one pouch of wet food a day and 40g of dry which gets staggered through the night. But the packet says for her size to feed 2 2/3 but the vet says she needs to be on a diet as she’s about 6kg. She never begs for more food,is indoor only and has never been a playful cat. So is that okay or should I feed her more wet food?

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Six pounds is very light for an adult cat unless she's a very small cat, can you feel her ribs or backbone. An adult cat should eat about 240 cals a day. A pouch is approx 80 cal's so one pouch plus 40g should be plenty. What does the feeding guide on the dry food recommend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry I meant 6kg!. The dry food recommended 60g but if feeding wet to reduce it by 20g so 40g

verna davies

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Phew, that's more like it. Try increasing the wet and decreasing the dry, wet fills them up more and is less cals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katieannee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve been trying to decrease the wet food but she’s such a funny cat and won’t eat the wet food after a certain time as she knows she’s getting dry. Honestly she’s such a funny kitty haha

verna davies

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are so clever. Try mixing some wet with the dry, a little at first then gradually increase the wet and decrease the dry. My cat was 90% dry, addicted to it but doing what I mentioned above is now 95% wet food.