Feeding My Two Cats, One Has Constant Uti Issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No link but i got the applaws chicken and pumpkin wet food. that one didnt make him eat more so i tried the tuna version and thats when it seemed like he got better at eating for a day.

Then went back to barely eating and today is first time ive seen him hide :/

All happened right the same day his medicine ran out so i find that very strange.

I called place that gave meds and they told me that those meds shouldnt have caused this.

Ill be taking him in to vet but I already know whatever tests they will want to do i wont be able to afford, just the visit so i feel like its just gonna be a waste.

Every time i go to any vet it always seems to feel like a waste.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been pee'ing all right since your last report on Tuesday? I wonder if he is still having a little pain. The medicine itself might not cause him to go off food, but some lingering pain might cause it.

About how many calories per day is he eating? If I have a cat who starts seriously under eating food for a few days, I start syringing food. An egg yolk with a little water seems to go down smoothly, and all the nutrients may perk his appetite up. Perhaps you could just offer him a yolk...he might like the taste.

Is your next vet visit today, or after the long weekend?

Sorry he isn't feeling well. :alright:

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah hes been peeing great. I catch him once a day going and having a nice big pee. I work a lot so hard to see more than once. But he just came out of closet and went and pees and didnt lick himself after so i dont think hes having pain there but who knows really.

hes eating maybe 3-5 ozs a day right now maybe slightly more. Hes a 16lb cat.

There were a few times i caught him sneaking into roommates room to eat some of the dry food they have for their cat, but i asked them to shoo him away if they see that and they said they havent seen. there are times we are all at work though so he could be going in there to eat that. i dont know.

But the day i noticed him eating less he had been about a week without dry food just wet food and his meds had just ran out. For the first week without dry food he seemed to love an all wet food diet.

I havent seen him sneak in their room this week to eat the food so who knows if hes still doing that.

After peeing he went and ate a lil tiny bit more and didnt go back to closet.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to hear. Sounds like he isn't blocking up again then. I think 3-5 ounces of food a day is plenty, even if it's a little less than his normal.

I've got a 15.5 pound cat on 4.2 ounces a day, trying to get him to lose weight. Last week he didn't finish his meals for a 3-4 days unless I "dressed" them with fish water or a few drops of goat's milk. Him not finishing food was very unusual. He's back to ravenous now.

Cats. They worry us, don't they?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, clean the wound well. Cat bites can easily get infected.

He may be eating all he needs.

allisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you able to weigh him to compare to any weights they've taken at the vets office? Just weigh yourself & then pick him up and weigh again. If you look at his gums/inner mouth it should be somewhat pink, if it's very pale he could be dehydrated. Also if you pinch the skin on his neck (where the mother cat would pick up her kittens) and it immediately goes back in place when you let go that is supposed to mean he iS hydrated, but if the skin doesn't go back quickly, like slowly goes back to normal, it could indicate that he is dehydrated.
I don't know if you are in the USA & this sounds weird but my cat LOVES sheep or goat yogurt (PLAIN) & maybe you could give him a teaspoon full with his food. Just once every few days or once a day for a couple of days only. If this is bad anyone feel free to say so, but it perks my cat up. There is Felaway a pherome scent that you plug into an outlet that is supposed to calm cats down. I wondered if he was generally stressed about something, or just still tired and recovering from being ill.

Basically I use an oven, clear glass covered Pyrex casserole, chicken breast or chicken thighs, water and the suppliment I mentioned above. I cook it for about 30-40 minutes at a med low temp and I got a meat thermometor to check when it is done for sure. There is a specific temp it is supposed to reach to be totally safe from pathogens. Be generous with the water so that it produces lots of broth. After cooking I add the suppliment: BalanceIT.com (Sorry it's really expensive but it last like 6 months or up to a year- wish they sold smaller amounts but I'm happy with the ingredients and how my cat likes it). Put it in the fridge for about 40 minutes to cool down and then shred with 2 forks. I keep the rest in a pretty cool fridge for about 2 days and then toss any left after that. (You can obviously freeze stuff but my freezer sucks so I don't trust it). You could just try it as just once or twice just to add a little to his regular food.

But it sound like others think he may be eating enough. If he's not lost any weight maybe he is eating an adequate amount. It sound like it's possible he is getting a bit from the other cat. My cat loves dry food. I don't feed it to him now, but when I left a bag somewhere before I found he'd chewed through it to get the dry food.
Well, I really wish him well. Sending very best wishes & hugs to him. And the fact that he's peeing well is excellent to hear. ((((hugs))))

Last edited:

allisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I got this totally wrong. It's Lisa Pierson's site and she explains how to make PARTIALLY cooked food, basically part raw food to cats. It doesn't show how to make fully cooked food for cats. Lisa Pierson's site is still worth reading though because she explains the issues with dry food and says a lot about what cat's need. It's here: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

This is an article on here about how much to feed your cat: How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?

This is the thread that includes discussions about home cooked foods: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

And another thread with info. specifically about home cooked food: Home-Cooked Cat Food Resources

Last edited:

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you orange and white its good to have something to compare to.

Thanks sarthur i get accidental scratches or bites from them often because i dont cut their nails(They had horrible experience the first time they had nails cut which was at a vets office and now wont let me do it at all), they typically dont hurt but i must be a bit allergic as sometimes they get a bit puffy and itchy for a while, well the scratches at least.

Today he wouldnt eat the tuna at all so I finally right now tried to give him the cd chicken again andf he gobbled it up.

Hes such a weirdo lol maybe he wants different food every day.

Alissa you are amazing thank you for all that.

I do have a felaway plugged in at all times.

I checked for dehydration using the skin method and it seemed to go back in place quickly but hard to tell as they have a lot of fur. I checked in his mouth and his tongue and cheecks seemed pinkish. I do mix water with his food and when he does eat a few bites he mostly gets the liquids.

Just now he ate a bunch though so thats good.

I will buy a scale and start weighing him regularly to make sure hes not losing too much weight. He can definitely stand to lose a pound though.

I'm also going to try and cook him some chicken maybe tit will end up being less expensive too.

Thank you for all the links too I will look through them shortly although im not sure how i feel about a raw diet for them.

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jeez today for the second time in the last month inoticed simba chasing nala across the whole house trying to murder her. Definitely not playing and this does not happen often. But she is terrief and will run into corners and hiss and poof up. The first time he actually hurt her and she let our horrible screeches. this time i was able to catch up to him before he could get her but she looked terrified.

I try to let him know that I am the dominant one in the house so i say no to hi and grab him firmly and let him know its not okay. he calmed down but still looks at her like shes a piece of meat.

They used to be so loveable and cuddly.

Now he mostly plays and cuddles with rommates new 6 month old cat but acts like he hates his own sister.

Theres no way any of this random behavior from him is relevant to everything else going on right?

allisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I'm not suggesting a raw diet at all. Just that on the Lisa Pierson site she also has general info about diet but I think you have your hands full at the moment-maybe skip that site for now. I'm far too afraid to feed my cat any raw food, I totally cook the chicken. In fact I'm too afraid to only feed him home cooked that's why I'm happy to keep giving him some commercial stuff. I probably only feed him about 1/4 home cooked. I'm just a fraidy cat in general.

About Simba's behaviour I'm not sure but hopefully someone else will have some ideas. But if he's still not feeling well it could definitely affect his behaviour. Or if he's stressed about something it could affect his eating habits. So it possibly could be related. There's a behaviour thread on here too. I'm not sure if it works the same way it does for dogs. With my cats I would sometimes separate them till they calmed down.

I was just writing about this but these are some of my fav relaxing youtube vids for cats.
Relax My Cat - Relaxing Music for Cats
or very soft classical music. Even a super quiet radio station with mainly people talking in a monotone way. That's great that you use the Felaway. I love that stuff.