Feeding medication?

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have 2 adult female kitties that are on a wet food diet, per their vet. One of my kitties needs a medication for her heart, which must be crushed up in her food. I’m struggling because she is a grazer and won’t eat the whole portion at once, so it’s hard to get her to eat her whole dose. The other cat is a bit of a piggy, and will eat both portions if allowed (the medication is not harmful to the cat who isn’t sick). There’s a transdermal option for the medication, but it’s $70 per month, which is out of my budget. I’ve tried pill pockets also, but she won’t eat them. I’m just looking for advice on techniques I can use to get her to eat her pill! Thank you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are lots of pilling tips here:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – Cat Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

There are other brands of pill doughs you can use besides Pill Pockets. I use a bacon-flavored one for my cat.

Does your cat like canned tuna or other moist treat? Try mixing a crushed up pill into a small portion of that and make sure your cat eats it all. Maybe try spoon feeding the mixture.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen others on here recommend Hartz Delectable Lickables.
20201114_062820.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would try any of the lickables and just use enough to make sure she eats the meds. In addition to the above product, there are also a number of purees - Applaws, Vitakraft, Wholehearted, and Tiki Cat Stix, to name the ones I have used. Another one that has been a success with my cat for giving meds is Tiki Cat Mousse. You might also consider canned tuna or chicken in water, and use just enough of the 'juice' to mix with the meds and then give her a piece of the tuna or chicken as a treat afterward. Also a 'big hit' with Feeby is baby food meats - Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your input. I had no idea there were other pill pockets/treats out there, so that’s a good tip. I also think the lickables are promising because my other cat will like that too, which will distract her long enough for my other girl to get her pill. Thanks again!

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I'm back again for more tips.

I went ahead and purchased some of those lickable treats. I crushed up the pill in her bowl and mixed in the lickable treat. I tried her regular bowl, as well as a smaller dish, and she won't go near it. However, if I scoop the mixture up on my finger, she'll lick it off. I guess that's better than nothing, but I don't have the time or the desire to sit there for 10 minutes letting my cat lick stinky cat food off my fingers :lol: I don't understand her behavior! Why would she eat it off my finger, but not out a dish? Should I try another flavor or brand or does she need more time or a different feeding technique. Over the years I have gotten so frustrated with feeding her this pill because she is SUCH a picky eater! Please help!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know whether it will work or not, but try a small paper plate, or a small flat plate of some kind. Feeby will eat her meds mixed with just a tad bit of lickable treats off a small flat plate. But, when it comes to her normal food and dishes like her 'regular' ones, if the amount gets down to a very small portion, she won't bother to eat it.

If that doesn't help, try more of the lickable treats mentioned above, or even the baby food meats.

Last edited:

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know whether it will work or not, but try a small paper plate, or a small flat plate of some kind. Feeby will eat her meds mixed with just a tad bit of lickable treats off a small flat plate. But, when it comes to her regular food and dishes like her 'regular' ones, if the amount get down to a very small portion, she won't bother to eat it.

If that doesn't help, try more of the lickable treats mentioned above, or even the baby food meats.
It’s worth a shot! I’ll try that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!