Feeding Kittens + Queen Not Producing Enough Milk

Caravellaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had 4 kittens Tuesday morning and only two have survived, this is her second litter and we think she isn't producing enough milk

We've bought milk to feed the kittens ourselves but we can't get them to feed from the syringe and we can't buy a proper cat one until tomorrow and so I was wondering if there were any DIY ways to get them to feed? We've already lost one kitten due to this and we really don't want to lose any more

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed kittens tummy down, head slightly up. If they won't suckle, you control the flow of milk. It's one drop at a time into the side of the mouth, then let them swallow, then repeat. Feed every hour for now, around the clock?

Are the kittens warm? Is mom with them? Is mom inside 100% of the time now?

Is mom grooming them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caravellaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They seem warm, the mum is letting them feed and is taking care of the other business but is unwilling to spend long, uninterrupted amounts of time in the nest and keeps lying down out side of it

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you keeping mom 100% inside and away from intact males?

It's ok for mom to take breaks outside of the nest. Are you weighing the kittens daily?

Caravellaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes we are and currently we don't having anything to weight the kittens with, and by breaks I mean she'll spend 10 minutes with them, then sit outside then nest until they begin to meow or we prompt her in

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
what milk do you use? what brand, exactly? and what is this proper cat one you cant buy until tomorrow?

Kittens having access to momma are often reluctant to bottle, so its a needleless syringe which is usual.
The big advantage with it, is also weak kittens whom cant suckle good enough, may manage here, its enough they can swallow properly.

You can also try a little sponge, of the make up type. Drench the sponge in this kmr / goats milk, and let the kitten suckle. Drop on more kmr during the time.

In a pinch, you can use sweet water, for example if the kitten goes lethargic or is very weak. Use honey or other glucose sugar source to sweeten the water. You can for example, rub the lips and the gums with this water. Glucose sugar goes immediately into blood already from the mouth, it doesnt need to be digested. Unlike common table sugar.

My cat had 4 kittens Tuesday morning and only two have survived, this is her second litter and we think she isn't producing enough milk

We've bought milk to feed the kittens ourselves but we can't get them to feed from the syringe and we can't buy a proper cat one until tomorrow and so I was wondering if there were any DIY ways to get them to feed? We've already lost one kitten due to this and we really don't want to lose any more

Caravellaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've been using SMA pro infant milk and we were going to see if we could get a syringe specifically designed for feeding

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This seems to be replacement milk for human babies? While I suspect its possible to use for kittens too, its not what is usually used. We usually use labelled for kittens, kmr = kitten mothermilk replacement. Called sometimes for kitten formula. A good producer is PetAg, with their powdered KMR. But there are also others, GNC, Royal Canine, etc. Observe the common brand Hartz is of uneven quality.

Goats milk is also OK to use - especielly RAW goats milk may have an edge sometimes. Cow milk is of course a no no unless in some specific cases when desperate.

C Caravellaa