Feeding drama, Kitten Vs Steralised Cat

scarlettleia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I'm just after some advice.

We recently got a new kitten, who is now 17 weeks old. He's got a very healthy apetite and gets on well with our other cat, who is 3. We're having a slight problem with feeding them, though, as they've decided that he wants the big cat steralised food, and she (3 year old) wants the kitten food. Even when we separate them for a few hours with their correct food, they will eat the minimum and wait for us to let them back in, and go for eachothers food. How do we prevent this? We don't want him not getting the nutrients he needs, and we don't want her becoming a chonk, so we're desperate to find a way to get them both to eat!

We've also tried adding tuna juice to both foods. They lick it off and wait for eachothers, still.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I was in that spot, I switched to an all stages food so both were eating the same food. You just have to pay attention to the serving size of the adult to make sure the adult doesn't get too much. In reality, adult cats and kittens should be eating the same food and the quantity just differs for both of their optimal health. The pet food industry has just convinced us that it is olay to feed an adult food which is the minimum nutrition to keep an adult cat healthy and to then feed a kitten specific food that has more fat and protein. This is really just a way for them to reduce nutritional density in adult food. Both ages can eat the same food as long as it is labeled as all stages which indicates it has enough nutrition for all ages and situations of cats.